Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guide and Itinerary Recommendations - France, December 21-31

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself and two friends, each great skiers but no experience skiing in Europe, arrive in Geneva on December 21 and depart Geneva on December 31. We have a rental car and are planning to book our accommodations this week and have tentatively planned the following itinerary:

Dec. 21 arrive in Geneva and drive to Chamonix
Dec. 21-25 - at Chamonix
Dec. 25-30 - at Les Trois Vallees (open to staying in Val Thorens, Courcheval or Meribel, possible day trip to Val D'Isere - we are interested in nightlife, but more interested in skiing)
Dec. 30 - evening drive back to Geneva

I would love any advice or tips with respect to the following:

1. Any recommendations for a specific guide in Chamonix?

2. Any tips on where to focus our time around Les Trois Vallees? Any recommendations for a guide here?

3. We are looking for a self-catered apartment, as affordable as possible. Any suggestions?

4. We are not planning to bring touring gear. Is that a mistake? I assume that we will be fairly limited in any case due to early season conditions.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads Smile

I'd make your booking pretty quick if you're looking for accom over xmas, especially since there's the promise of good early season snow.

Not much point in having a guide in 3V. There are lots of lifts, lots of skiers, lots of pistes and most people don't go there for the back country. If you want the guided stuff then you'd be better to stay in Chamonix! If you want apartments then try Len Menuires - theres some good off-piste from the Pointe de la Masse.

Have fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for the info jellylegs!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you've got the cash, I think it is worth getting a guide a the 3Vs. There is a lot of cool backcountry to be accessed around there. If it's in condition you could check out the N Face of the Bellecote (access from Champagny, just across the valley from Courchevel) which has some awesome lines - plenty of good stuff around the 3Vs itself too.

I would bring touring gear if you have room. Adds so much more flexibility
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jellylegs, There is arguably more easily accessible (and certainly objectively safer) off-piste in the 3V than Cham...

Flaukamite, to answer your queries

1. Jonny Baird (www.jonathan-baird.com)
Guy Willett (dream-guides.com)
Rick Marchant (http://www.bmg.org.uk/index.php/eng/Members/Guides-K-M/Rick-Marchant)
Andy Perkins (www.andypmountainguide.com)

for starters.

2. Meribel or Mottaret are good central bases - easy access to the whole 3V from there

3. Can't help - try skimottaret on here ? (Link to his appartment in his signature) Clients have used his appartment & were very happy.

4. Have you seen the snow reports recently? There will be loads to go at straight off the lifts, but depending what it does between now and then the ability to tour could find you untracked snow still...

Enjoy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy