Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tall and heavy (ish)

Poster: A snowHead
I have been wondering about ski lenghts for the taller heavier man. I am looking at getting some White dot Directors 188cm, but before I jump in I have been wondering if I should be looking for something a bit bigger?

I know it's not just about ski length, width also plays a factor, but it seem that if you are 5'11" and 85kg the 188cm would be about right (or could be right) , I'm 6'5" and 100kgs, surely my size a weigh will have a effect on the ski.. should I be looking for something longer /bigger

I will be testing before I buy, but I am interested if I just have to go with it as ski's are not made for people like me, sure they work, but they are designed around more "normal" sized people...

I'm a good skier happy on all terrain, technical more than agressive - looking for a 80/20 off piste / on piste ski... this is not really a question specifically about the white dots more ski size in general.

for example should I try and hunt out a wide 195cm ski - do such things exist?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BenAS,
Quote:
should I try and hunt out a wide 195cm ski - do such things exist?
rolling eyes

Yes, they are called a 'teleboard' (google it) and just stick with the directors . . . great ski and you can spend a lifetime learning to enjoy them
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are bigger skis out there, lots of the indie brands, and I think Rossi do some 195s.

You should be looking for stiffer things rather than just length though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have you looked at the Deborah Scaffoldboard? Should come in your length. Madeye-Smiley

http://www.deborahservices.co.uk/hire_sales_division.htm
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque - Interesting, I saw a few teleboards over in Canada, looks like a hard way to enjoy the slopes, but I was intrigued.

Clarky999 - Good point about going for a stiffer ski. I want to love the Directors (and I'm sure I will) but I was interested to know if What people thought to looking for a different ski for the "larger gent"!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:
Have you looked at the Deborah Scaffoldboard? Should come in your length. Madeye-Smiley

http://www.deborahservices.co.uk/hire_sales_division.htm

Hehehe rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BenAS, When a teleboard goes right . . . it's sublime . . . on the other hand put a fat old numpty on one . . . I live but to entertain Embarassed

Actually I've been looking at your stats. You're tall but not particularly heavy . . . so bio-mechanically your joints are subject to much greater leverage stresses than us fat arѕed stumpies. The last thing you need is long skis to match your height. You need to go short and fat to stay safe. Stiffness is a matter of your aggression. The Redeemer Carbons are probably perfect and will last you for years without you ever approaching their limits and at your weight (unless you're actually chasing powder) the 180's rather than the 190's

Best skis for fun I've ever had were 160's and getting under 100kg has always been an issue Evil or Very Mad Yes I run long skis for my height 5'7" (I'm shrinking . . . it's an age thing, or a fat thing, . . . or a 'I can remember when I was a tall Adonis thing) but these days I telemark and I don't exert anything like the torsional stresses on my joints that alpine technique does. Go shorter and fatter, stay safe.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BenAS, I'll do a you a deal on some Dynastar XXLs i a 194. Long fat and stiff - suits you sir Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque,

http://youtube.com/v/AMlMb_X_71E
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BenAS wrote:
for example should I try and hunt out a wide 195cm ski - do such things exist?

If you're prepared to pay a few more pennies to import some, sure. Go have a look at on3p, they do a fine line of big, fat, stiff skis. Praxis will also do you an extra stiff flex version of their models (and I have a discount code lying around for them if you're interested Wink )
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/24rrGbedXpY
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, I do see his point but in reality I can ski alpine technique in tele bindings as quickly as anyone apart from the complete nutters and there is NO BETTER feeling than running pure carved turns in tele mode . . . and the day that I can carve a switch tele turn I might even get lucky and laid!

It's as close to snowboarding as two skis can get Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, this doesn't help the OP much Puzzled Short and fat or long and rockered?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get Gotamas in 194
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ragnaroks come in a 194 and you can get the Movement Super Turbo in a 202. Very different skis to the Director though. I'd be surprised if Dynastar aren't still knocking out somethng big & macho.
snow conditions
You'll be fine on 188s. I'm 6'4, 100kg and have tested a ton of skis now, and tbh length/width/stiffness is much more relevant to the way you want to ski than your size. Going 195 and stiff because you think you need it will result in an unwieldy, hard to turn ski that you may dislike unless you're wanting to straightline crud at full speed. Rocker, stiffness, and length is just something you can tailor to preference - if you don't have a reference point you're better off demoing. Ski sizing is pretty much entirely based on the result you want from the ski. Stuff like the (old) 194 Dynastar Legend Pro or XXL are really really niche.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:

It's all about technique he should get a pair of these ....

http://easyloungin.com/forum/topic.php?bb_attachments=120103&bbat=8456&inline

Others to consider ....
Kästle BMX 108 195cm
Blizzard Sport Cochise 193 cm
Atomic Bent Chetler 192 cm
Dynastar Legend Pro Rider 105 192cm
Stöckli Sport Stormrider 110 TT 192cm
snow report
DB wrote:
Masque wrote:

It's all about technique he should get a pair of these ....

http://easyloungin.com/forum/topic.php?bb_attachments=120103&bbat=8456&inline

It's obvious that you've been sniffing burning wax fumes again rolling eyes

Technique is one thing but why should he go long . . . aesthetics?
ski holidays
Thanks for the responses, I am going to test a few skis before buying, I have checked with the guys at Whitedot and there is a place in I'm going that I can demo/hire them from, and Jon (from the piste office) has given me a great quote...

I am also learning telemark this season, to start with on a old pair of Lines, but i have asked Jon to quote for Quiver killers so i can mount the two bindings on the new ski I will buy (i've checked and this is possible!).

i am hoping that I can try half a dozen of so ski's before purchasing ( I am interested in the the redeemers as well as the directors in the white dot range). I think i know what type of ski I like, I am really after something that is more off piste biased, but needs to be able to cope with crud/crust but it will be fun to spend a day of two really testing and getting to learn a bit about skis....

Love to try a bit of Teleboarding.....
snow conditions
BenAS, good luck with the tele. As for the board, the learning curve is not just steep . . . more of an overhang. It's a lot of fun but you need a young man's quads and an adolescent's weight to last a week on one.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
Technique is one thing but why should he go long . . . aesthetics?

I once went for a wider and stiffer but shorter ski, ended up just nose diving in the powder.

Nowadays so many skis have some type of rocker / turned up ends it's hard to compare skis by their length. Looks like BenAS is doing the right thing and testing skis of different lengths and stiffness to see what he likes.

What's next for you Masque after teleboarding, Skateboading?
ski holidays
DB, been there, fallen off that. Kite boarding looks fun Twisted Evil
latest report
Pontoon goes to 189. Plenty long enough for yer man. wink
snow report
Masque wrote:
DB, been there, fallen off that. Kite boarding looks fun Twisted Evil

It's got your name written all over it .......

http://youtube.com/v/-RVuXjf_PJo
snow conditions
DB, does, doesn't it Twisted Evil
snow report
I did a week of kite surfing, I crashed a lot, I can't imagine learning on a hard surface....
snow conditions
OK - so we're a few years on since my first post, but I thought I would give you an update, and I hope this might help someone else in my position.

OK -so good news I'm now only 90kgs. Smile

I bought the 189cm Whitedot Preacher as my go to every day ski - it is great, I still use it today. However I did double mount (using Quiver killers) marker Dukes and G3 targa telemark bindings. With the Dukes this ski is awesome. I also have the Redeemers 190cm for really deep snow, but often I find I can't be bothered to move the bindings over and ski the preacher on powder days - it is again awesome for this. It is a great one ski quiver. a little heavy and wide for big tours - but that is not really what is was designed for - fine for single day tours - suck it up on the up hills and you smash the downs, but multi day tour; not so much fun.

However, and I'll admit this is a little niche, it is not a great telemark ski - it is just too fat and big. I am now a telemark instructor and wish I had not tried to learn on the Preacher, I managed but probably made things harder than needed. Get a smaller (narrow) ski if you are wanting to learn - it might be fine if you mount it with NTN tele bindings, but not 75mm - the ski is just too big; go thinner and softer.

So in short. would I change it. No not for downhill or side tours, but for tele - yes. if I have to pick a one ski quiver for what I do - would this be it - probably not, but that is only because I am telemarking and touring more. but this is still a fantastic ski. the 189 is good length, if there was a 195cm I would prefer that, but that is again a little niche - if you're tall and heavy and a good down hill skiier who can properly carve a fat ski you will love this as a down hill set up.
snow report
@BenAS, good on you for coming back with the update - it's a great write up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes thanks for the feedback.

Just out of interest - what tele/touring skis do you prefer/use.
snow conditions
How did you decide on the Directors?

For 80/20 off to on piste I'd look at the Preacher or one of the wider skis in the range.

Probably worth a chat with Jon at the Piste Office, he has given me some really good ski advice over the years and knows the Whitedots inside out.

I've tried a lot of skis in recent years and just keep coming back to Whitedot. They seem to defy what is possible for a ski of whatever particular width, weight or length they are up against.

Also I don't consider 100kg to be particularly big for someone at 6ft5, but would look at stiffness before worrying too much about serious length - the longest skis in the range will probably do the job for you, and despite various posts here there is such a thing as a ski which is too long.

Oktober Ski Test at Hemel and Manchester should have Whitedots, so I'd get there to give it a spin.

Edit - just seen the latest post, I guess advice still stands for others looking at the same decision and clearly you worked out the same thing I did before buying the Preacher!
snow report
I'm about the same size and weight as you.
When I started skiing thirty years ago I was put on 210s and the carver revolution reduced that dramatically.

Longer skis are more cumbersome, heavier and a pain in the backside to carry about on planes and in cars.
Modern technology means you don't need a long ski to get stability and control at speed. I wouldn't go on anything longer than a 180. There's just no point unless you're downhill racing
I ski on hybrid Salomons which are light yet rigid.

The other thing to consider these days is that people often have two or more sets of skis - one for on piste and one for off. What type of skiing are you going to be doing.

I honestly think long skis are only really good for bashing other people with as you try and get in and out of lifts and navigate queues and hotel steps etc.
snow conditions
6 ft 5in and 100 kg. The only thing you need lad is........ pies.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman,
Exactly, tall[ish] maybe wink
ski holidays
I'm 5'9" and 76kg and found the Bent Chetler in 185cm perfect, I use them for touring too. If you can get a chance to demo the 192's then grab it. I also demo'd the Whitedot Ragnaroks at the EOSB and really rated them, for a 193cm heavy stiff ski they were surprisingly good fun in slushy bumps, you could do very quick turns by unweighting or just cut each bump in half like Moses parting the Red Sea Toofy Grin
latest report
If you want a real big boy ski... http://www.downskis.com/shop/showdown-105-2016

Way too scary for me I think!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy