Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best company with which to organise a short ski trip...or DIY?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am looking for a short ski trip (eg Wed-Sun) probably France in Feb/March for two guys. My mate and I have been regular boarders for 15 or so years and missed last season (the first in 15 yrs) due to new additions to both families, so having carefully negotiated a short 'boys' trip this year until we resume family trips next year I'm wondering how best to approach this.

In the past we have organised long weekends ourselves and done EasyJet to Geneva and organised our own accom staying at Les Gets for example. Transfers always seem the problem though...or am I making a big deal of it?

Have used Alpine Elements in the past for a short break, but talking to other guests over dinner we actually paid the same as they did for the week, so felt a bit short changed.

Wondering if anyone can recommend either:
A: A good company to go with who could organise accom/transfers?
B: How best to organise transfers oursleves that wont cost the earth (bear in mind this needs to be fairly cost effective...part of the negotiations....)

Cheers
Andy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 3-12-12 17:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Andy,

You could try a smaller, independent company that have experience and deals with lots of resorts. You can try www.snowbeds.com or www.altitudeholidays.com and see what they come back with. It is worth giving them a ring and having a chat about the different options. You'll get a more personable experience with them!

For transfers you can have a look on our site: www.findtransfers.com - We have loads of shared transfers available already and you can always compare it with privates. It is local transfer companies who give you the quotes, we don't take any commission so you will receive the best prices out there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try Mountainsun http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-hotel-les-melezes. We have been there in summer to ski at Tignes but they do short breaks throughout the season. They will pick up in Geneva. Haven't used their places in other resorts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andym01207,

Hi Andy, transfers needn't be too dear. we used these last year www.actiontransfers.com pretty good value, and much cheaper than hire car.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andym01207, hire a car? Becomes economically interesting once there are a few of you and gives more options...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andym01207, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I'd agree that hiring a car seems the best idea. You would do well to avoid the peak French school hols from mid Feb - to mid March.

If you don't want to drive yourselves, you won't do better than mountainsun, as recommended above.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DIY is always a good bet for short breaks.. Away from peak periods most hotels seem happy to let you book for short stays and splitting the cost of a few days car hire between two is usually a shade cheaper than booking a transfer. It can be handy if you want to get a cheaper place outside of the resort centres too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 for car hire. Always seems to work out cheapest.

If you don't want to do that, make sure you're a short (1 hr max.) drive from the airport (e.g. GVA to Chamonix, or PDS) so you transfer cost is minimal.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
book your flights now and then nearer the time post your requirements on Chaletdirect solutions room. You should be able to get a deal that will include a reasonable transfer charge. Always seems to be lots of availability but operators will reluctant to break up full weeks until nearer the date.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yea, i am looking for 5 nights from sun 27th jan and most are offering full week or 3 days which is not suitable.
Also some places seem very expensive comapred to other similar offerings around Morzine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marskey, eithnem's suggestion is a good one. It's a popular time (last few weeks before the dreaded school hols) and accommodation providers will hope to be fairly full - so why would they give up two full weeks booking for a 5 day long weekend? Nearer the time they might be more flexible!

Yes, some places will indeed be a lot more expensive than Morzine. There's a vast range of price/quality and some resorts are expensive even for dubious quality!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i do a fair bit of DIY short trips. book easyjet flights to geneva, hire a car and be in resort within 2-3 hours. PV holidays have apartments in most resorts and many can be booked for a few days at a time. Quite economical too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marskey, You can try contact places that offer 3-day bookings and negotiate two additional days with them if a chalet stays unoccupied for the remaining 4 days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a great response, thanks!

I'll have a chat and get in touch with a few of the suggestions.

Morzine would be perfect Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andym01207,

I have been using skiweekends.com to Morzine for the last 2 years (coach travel but they also do flights).
If you travel by coach (got to be near London/Essex/Kent) the accomodation is right in Morzine town center. Perfect location.
It's basic though, so if you want "luxury" better avoid. The only time we spend in the room and is to sleep or get changed so we don't care. I used to do DIY with a large group but it's only 2 of us now and the transfer always kills it (too expensive or inconvenient). This is cheap and simple.
latest report
andym01207, we did skiweekends by coach from London to Brides les Bains a couple of years ago, worked a treat and was fine for the money and hassle free.
snow report
I'm in County Durham so it'll have to be a flight, but will def check them out.

On the negative I can't get to the Alps by coach for the weekend
On the positive I have this on my doorstep: www.skiweardale.com Laughing
snow report
Does it have to be France. Flight to Munich and train to resoprt would work. We have success every year in obtaining accomodation in Mayrhofen (and St Anton once). Both are reachable by reasonably priced train, although as others have said car is reasonably cheap. Five days is about £100 for a diddy car, slightly more for a Golf. How many of you are there?

The Neuwirt in Finkenberg has a twin room, B & B for £458 for 5 nights.
snow conditions
You could try morzinelets as they have hotel rooms and their own transport which saves a load of hassle.

There are however loads of transfer options for Morzine from GVA and its only 1.5hrs

If you can get to Turin easily have a look at pilaski.co.uk as they will do everything for you too. Small resort with plenty to do for a long weekend including a huge park.
ski holidays
andym01207: Re. Skiweardale: Hopefully see you up there in the next few days? And good luck with your France trip!
snow report
I'd would recommend getting prices for flights, transfers and accomodation that are prepared to do 4 nights.

Then spend lots of time scratching your head over the cost.

Then book a week long package for a lot less. Explain to OH, if that's an issue, that you don't want to go for a week but it makes such sound financial sense you are prepared to do it for the family.

If you are DIYing don't rule out public transport for transfer.
ski holidays
Like it! But a week just ain't happening... rolling eyes
latest report
andym01207, welcome to snowHead 's. If you fancy Morzine you can always give us a try.
We do lots of short breaks and if we can fit you into a little gap we can do a good snowHead 's price too.
Got a few here
Sund-Weds/Thurs from Feb 10th
Thurs - Sun from 14th
Sun - fri from 24th
Wed- sun from 27th

Contact Nina on the site below if of interest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy