Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can someone help me with what size this is please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My husband tried some ski boots the other day and really liked a pair that i thought i would buy for Christmas. the only thing is i can't remember if he needs a size 30 or a 30.5. I've just looked at his old ski boots which are Salomon xwave sensefit but the linings don't really tell me. just lots of numbers and wondered if anyone else knew. the numbers are lc 300 28 then on another part it says 290 335 sx.
the size of the outer shell says 30-30.5 348mm

if anyone could help that would be fantastic[/b]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I will be the first of many to suggest that, although that's a great idea for a Christmas present, it's really something where the fit is essential, and two pairs of boots, ostensibly the same size, can fit very differently.

The best thing would be to tell him you'd like to get him some boots for Christmas and make an appointment for him to see a good fitter, to get what's really right for him. Generally speaking, if boots feel instantly comfy in the shop, they are too big. It's extraordinarily easy to get it wrong, without expert advice - and some people working in the big shops really aren't very expert.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowy23, I concure with the need to fit between the inner sizes, the boot is the same size the inner is slightly different. I do not agree that you need to pay an expert to choose between the two however, they will have no more idea whether what your husband says is more "fitted" than the ski boot fitter in a large store. A footbed is a good idea and can be made at the store to make the boot more "made to measure" you have the same as a pro fitter without his £50-£100 charge.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I do not agree that you need to pay an expert to choose between the two however, they will have no more idea whether what your husband says is more "fitted" than the ski boot fitter in a large store.

Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think Sally usually put a sticker on the boot to say what size it is, perhaps it has come off (mine have little white stickers on the top at the back and right at the front just above the toe binding lug). The shell of the boot is as it says, either 30 or 30.5. Depending on what footbed etc. goes inside it, the boot fit will either be UK 12 or 12.5. Mine are a 30/UK 12 and the inners have LC300 11 on them, not that that really helps.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, Smell the coffee
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, so you are basically stating that expert boot fitting is a con, as only the person trying on the boots has any idea that they fit?....so person states "my new boots are very comfortable in the shop"..so they must be ok??.... Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What pam w, said.

Cynic, “A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.”
― Oscar Wilde.
What Oscar Wilde said.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A Cynic is a person who tells you how it is, not how you want it to be.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No, that's being honest. The dictionary definition of cynic is a faultfinding captious critic; especially : one who believes that human conduct is motivated wholly by self-interest (Merriam-Webster online). What if the bootfitter price is the same as the large store? Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oldmancoyote, Then he is an honest man, as Diogenes would say, who carried a torch in daylight looking for one.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
irrespective of individuals views on the subject, i'd suggest that rather than buy a pair of boots, vouchers to the value of would be potentially less risky.

Or if you wanted to be a little less boring, take the old boots and do something nasty to them. wrap them up with a note inside saying new boots needed or something more poetic.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cynic, Don't tell me you live in a barrel too? Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks for the replies everyone. i really appreciate what everyone says and also appreciate that for some it is essential to go to a professional boot fitter to get that perfect fit and i know myself that for me my boots have to be well fitted but have managed this by buying the boot that suits me and then having the different part i know i need blown out and a custom footbed fitted as i wear my boots at least 4 days a week and swap between two pairs of boots. my husband only wears his boots for a weeks ski hol and maybe twice a month and has been lucky that off the shelf boots suits him fine and if they aren't quite right we know where to take them to get them sorted.
thank you musher for checking the numbers on the boots that's a great help.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, Your idea of vouchers is a very good one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy