Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Just joined and thought I'd say hi, sorry if this isn't the appropriate part of the forum for this, it seemed the most likely!

I'm a snow newcomer at 38 and I'm off to Passo Tonale for New Year, done a few lessons at the Manchester Chill Factor-e and think I could become obsessed with this skiing lark rather quickly! Very Happy

As such I may be asking some rather silly noob questions over the coming weeks, please try to be gentle with me!

Cheers guys, looking forward to contributing!

Sted.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sted, no such thing as a stupid question. Welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sted,

Welcome to snowHeads anonymous snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sted, welcome. Sounds like you've already been bitten by the bug - there's no going back now. Toofy Grin

I bet you're checking the webcams for Passo Tonale every day...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sted,

Don't worry we all started out somewhere and asked noob questions, some keep this up for years though. Toofy Grin

Manchester Chill Factor looks great, although I'm a Manc I also started out like this at Tamworth (Chill Factor wasn't around then)....

http://youtube.com/v/yvFm63TPCw8
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sted,

welcome. I think its fair to say, whilst the fridges are good places to start, nothing is going to compare to that first day you are on a real mountain. Blue sky days are just beautiful and when you look back up the hill after getting down you will smile.

a few points to note.

we in general are a friendly lot, but occasionally forums like email and text messages can be misunderstood try not to take offence.

just dont ask about helmets or winter tyres nobody around here has an opinion on either of those subjects.. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
........ and if you drive a Landrover you can just get out now wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcome, we were all new at some point. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sted, hello and welcome!! You will definitely become obsessed with skiing before you know it....!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi sted, and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sted, Welcome to Snowheads and the skiing obsession!
DB, Saw a repeat of that crash at Castleford yesterday! You know that high speed not quite parallel fixed rigid technique small children have for whizzing down pretty much any mountain? Chap in his 20s came down all the way from the top like that and straight into the barriers at the bottom without slowing, got up and left!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davkt,
Yes I was like that about 15 years ago at Tamworth.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, At least Tamworth (where I first learnt as well) teaches you hardpack is nothing to worry about!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No but I had nightmares about those red toblerone crash thingys that took you away just below the knees.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A friend did it at the dry slope at Calshot many years ago, but went under the safety net and ended up on the center line of the indoor tennis court. Embarrased was an understatement. Two very worried tennis players as well.

sted, welcome to the wonderfull world of white stuff. Have a great holiday. My cousin was a Chill Factor virgin last year and had a marvelous time out here when he hit the real thing for the first time. Hooked too.
snow conditions
At Rosendale dry ski slope some got as far as the car park.
ski holidays
Hi sted, hope u has much fun on this site as we all do. You will find yourself on here in July asking about the forthcoming season and checking out the green hills of the webcams. Passo tonale will be great for you. We went there 2yrs ago after a few trips to Bulgaria send Lapland. It's a great place for beginners and low intermediates. Can ski under all the lifts from one side to another. Town isn't thriving. Mainly social side set in the hotels but a few bars along the road. Here is a vid I put together from there. Hopefully show you some of the runs you'll be flying down in a couple of months.
http://youtube.com/v/miFOWvKQ9_8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
sted, welcome to snowHeads and true addiction snowHead

I started at 38 too. 11 years and 22 weeks skiing on and I still get as excited about it as the first time Laughing

Enjoy! I think you've picked a fair place for your first trip. Easy access from the town to steady pistes that are ideal for learning and practising what you've learned.
snow conditions
Welcome Smile snowHead
snow report
sted, Welcome to the Mad House. Ask away but be prepared for "try using the search function" Toofy Grin
snow report
Welcome aboard!! snowHead snowHead

Cheers
ski holidays
DB wrote:

It's Land Rover, not Landrover. NehNeh
snow report
sted, Welcome to snowHeads, as long as you like Solihull's finest you'll be fine.
snow report
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I am indeed checking out the webcams all the time, I guess I got my first case of snow paranoia!

...and I promise not to mention the "H" word! Little Angel
latest report
helicopter?
ski holidays
Hepaticocholangiogastrostomy ?
ski holidays
Hi Sted, I think Passo will be a good place for you, I was there 2 years ago. where are you staying ? Any questions please ask.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
DB wrote:

It's Land Rover, not Landrover. NehNeh

http://gettingoutinarlington.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/weeklylogo.jpg

PS It's all your fault, you owe poor Boris 800 quid wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike SWest wrote:
Hi Sted, I think Passo will be a good place for you, I was there 2 years ago. where are you staying ? Any questions please ask.

The Gran Paradiso I think its called, we really like Italy and was in Lake Garda earlier in the year, the theory being that if the Skiing wasn't to our liking we would still be in a country we really like, my wife hasn't done any skiing either so she picked the hotel on the strength of the Spa and massage facilities! Lol!
I'm absolutely buzzing about going though, I even splurged on a pair of Ski Boots (The Chill factore hire ones near crippled me!) a bit of an extravagance for a first timer I know but hopefully a worthwhile investment.
snow report
sted wrote:

I'm absolutely buzzing about going though, I even splurged on a pair of Ski Boots (The Chill factore hire ones near crippled me!) a bit of an extravagance for a first timer I know but hopefully a worthwhile investment.

Well if you're going to be skiing more than once, getting your own boots like you've done is definitely a priority. Gives you better fit for better skiing control and they should be more comfortable as well, and will save you money as compared with renting each time. Many people get their own skis as well, but the advantages are not as clear cut as with ski boots imv, since if you're flying out most airlines charge quite a bit extra for ski carriage, and you'll need to pay for the skis to be serviced every so often (unless you service them yourself - if you fancy doing that have a look at snowhead spyderjon's website).
ski holidays
sted, may i politely refer you to rule 23 here :- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2141974&highlight=rules#2141974
latest report
ansta1, Smile Love this....sort of set of rules I would like on my Tech Room wall.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
sted, may i politely refer you to rule 23 here :- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2141974&highlight=rules#2141974

Haha! Duly noted! However I would like to submit the mitigating factor of a sun loving/cold hating wife yet I have still managed to wrangle a week on top of a mountain, gotta be worth a shot right? wink
ski holidays
Passo Tonale is great for beginners. I stayed at the Paradiso last Easter and it is a lovely hotel. The round tent attached to the hotel is a very lively apres spot (although it was only open for a couple of nights when I was there - it was the last week of the season). It is a bit of a walk to the ski school area but there is a bus stop right outside the hotel and it is only 2 minutes on the bus.

The locals all drink Aperol Spritz - a cocktail made out of Cava, a bright orange liqueur and soda water.
snow report
sted,

Was in a similar position to you this year, with a first trip (after some time in a snowdome) in Feb. It was fab!

If it helps, here are the before and after threads I posted. We got some very good advice from the Snowheads - such as taking two pairs of gloves, taking buffs, etc. - so I hope you find it useful too!

Before: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82251
After: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86952

I hope you have fun in Passo Tonale!

chemistry
ski holidays
sted, welcome! I'm also new to skiing (have been learning at Chill Factore too, along with a local dry slope; holiday booked for Feb), and well on the way to full-blown obsession! In fact it's amazed me how much time I can spend obsessing already, when I'm yet to have even been on my first trip, and this site is great for feeding the new addiction...

Was also in Lake Garda earlier this year and agree that Italy is a lovely country - I imagine skiing there will be beautiful. Of course you can't go wrong with the food and drink there either. I did develop rather a taste for the Aperol Spritz mentioned by Tiger2! Smile
snow report
chemistry wrote:
sted,

Was in a similar position to you this year, with a first trip (after some time in a snowdome) in Feb. It was fab!

If it helps, here are the before and after threads I posted. We got some very good advice from the Snowheads - such as taking two pairs of gloves, taking buffs, etc. - so I hope you find it useful too!

Before: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82251
After: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=86952

I hope you have fun in Passo Tonale!

chemistry

Cheers Chemistry! Some great info in there! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy