Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Talking the talk to rent some decent skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

New here having seen the amazing response members give to the most average and outrageous queries around, so hopefully you can help me out.

I'm doing some peak season repping this year (having done 2 weeks last season) and whilst i have my own boots, I would dearly love to be able to rent the best possible skis for my requirements. Im a pretty decent skier, happy on all snow etc etc and like skiing fast and pushing myself. Ideally i'd like an all mountain ski with a bit of rocker, a fattish waist, and something that can handle some powder and piste in equal measure. Am i being too picky for rental shop? Looking at some online reviews and the SGB website, something along the lines of the 2011/12 Scott Missions fit the bill.

I'm heading to Tignes, Italy (Alps and Dolomites) and the US this season and want to get the most out of my weeks and ski the whole mountain in all conditions. Usually, ski shops are very very helpful as soon as they see the flash of a reps jacket, especially when you bring 50 kids in tow each paying 80 euros a pop, but does anyone have any tips to get the best equipment you can? Or is it a case of asking and just seeing what they throw your way?

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dorsetboy, err, find somewhere that rents the stuff you want and ask for it specifically. I don't think secret handshakes are involved. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meh - being one of the lucky few getting to go out skiing for free, i have to rent from the shop the TO i work for is using. I'm a very poor recent graduate, so i cant go paying for kit in a different shop! Maybe i'm looking for the secret handshakes and wink-wink nudge-nudge practices in a place they dont exist.

Blush
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dorsetboy, try not to hit the shop when it's really busy, smile a lot and don't be afraid to bribe with chocolate. They won't want you back every 5 mins if they get it wrong so ask for you want or it's closest equivalent, check if you can swap out for fatties during a dump and ask for a freshly tuned pair. They should see you mean business without being too pushy. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dorsetboy,

Get clued up on what skis you would like to try and make a list. Go into the shop circa 30 mins before they close for the day (with your reps jacket on). This is the time when the shop has the most skis. Ask to have a look at all the skis they have and tell them which day you would like to ski which particular skis. If they haven't got the ski in your size ask if another shop in the chain has it. Ask the rental guy which skis he would propose for you
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ive also done a bit of repping and found it really does depend on the shop. Some shops have been amazing at getting me the top skis, changing them if I want to,allowing me to borrow a board for a day free etc. Other shops shrug and only give me the run-of-the-mill, can't blame them considering Im not actually a paying customer. Just try your luck.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bribe with beer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
dorsetboy,

Go into the shop circa 30 mins before they close for the day (with your reps jacket on). This is the time when the shop has the most skis.

You mean the returns and swaps. They won't have been serviced, that's usually done when the shop shuts to be ready for the morning.

Just keep the kids quiet and undercontrol and then the staff will like you. Suggesting you'd like to try something for a change is the best bet, and ask their advice to flatter them a bit. Avoid insisting on one model or going off a list they'll hate that and ultimately you're not even a cash sale so they won't make an effort if you get their backs up. If it's really not working take them beer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
DB wrote:
dorsetboy,
Go into the shop circa 30 mins before they close for the day (with your reps jacket on). This is the time when the shop has the most skis.

You mean the returns and swaps. They won't have been serviced, that's usually done when the shop shuts to be ready for the morning.

Yes you pick out the skis when the shop has the most skis in it, let them service the skis overnight and pick them up in the morning.

You can always tell them you are thinking about buying your own skis to get them interested before trying beer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, I do know a mason who rents in Le Lac if he is on the square.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dorsetboy, just tell them you want a pair of red ones wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
go in an ask if they have any scott missions you can hire??

ask for what you want otherwise they will just pick up and pair of skis and give them to you
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What do you have that they might want? 50 kids, beer, the old resort stand by bribe, cake. Get in early ask them how you can help with the kids etc, tell them what you want. Good luck. When my daughter was chalet mailing that got free skis but they were rough, cake helped, have friends in low places, ie the ski tech.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all. Will bear the beer and cake in mind. Did manage to get on very well with a ski tech in Claviere last winter despite very very limited English on his behalf and some shocking Italian on my own. Grappa and pizza seemed to do the job!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy