Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

its too cold to ski in January?!

Poster: A snowHead
January...just after everyones gone home after the New Year holidays......can't beat it! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coldiest ambient temp I've skied in was -28C with windchill that takes it into something between -40C and -50C I made one long run and crept back into the hotel to warm up, dreadful day with snow, poor visibility and biting cold.

Worst I skied in was only -20C or there abouts but that was as a child and I couldn't wriggle my toes enough in the ski boots to keep them warm, early stages of frostbite with the result that even 30 plus years later my toes still cause me some pain when it starts to get cold whilst the rest of me is fine.

down to -20C even a little colder as an ambient temp is fine so long as there's good weather, skiing in those sort of temps or colder in poor weather feels so much worse
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ definitely. Sitting on a lift in minus whatever with snow driving into you sideways is just miserable!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Love skiing in January altough i am partial to March and April as well.

Coldest we have skied is -35 in Fernie. With the windchill it was well into the -40's. We had good gear on but really struggled to get warm and the Mrs picked up a bit of frost bite in 2 fingers. It was a strange feeling when the snot in your nose froze as well as your eye lashes but the benefit was that we were the only people on the mountain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Tee Pee Town chair lift in Sunshine can be the nearest thing to a modern day instrument of torture when its -35C on a windy day in January making the effective temperature even worse. It is so slow that it gives you too much time to think of jumping.....

On the other hand once you get to the top and enjoy the slopes down again on a gloriously sunny day it all seems worthwhile Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always was our prefered month when tourists. Still is as residents, 60% of our January guests are regulars now, so they all like it then. Having said that we love the inter school holiday period March to April when the days are longer too.
January quality time is going to last right up to 9th and 16th Feb this year with the later school holidays for the French.
If I can plan the transfers right, should get a lot of snow time this season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cbowls30, I suggest that you refer your friends to Rule 5 -

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2141974&highlight=rules#2141974

or, more directly - http://rule5.org/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Posidrive wrote:
The Tee Pee Town chair lift in Sunshine can be the nearest thing to a modern day instrument of torture when its -35C on a windy day in January making the effective temperature even worse. It is so slow that it gives you too much time to think of jumping......

There was a chair in La Plagne a bit like that, up from the Champagny side.... it was horrendously long (and fairly steep) as I remember it and I think every time I went on it I lost a few weeks of my life Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Better January and cold (duh, wear more clothes) than April and slush. Only other thing to remember is to keep the nose-hairs trimmed - snot-cicles are just not a good look.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tangowaggon wrote:
Always preferred January for all the reasons above, Spring skiing that I have done is pants, frozen hard rubble in the morning, followed by unpredictable slush then ice then slush, followed by ton weight slush everywhere

You need to plan the day more in Spring, and chase the corn snow around the compass.

Nothing wrong with slush though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
January is perfect for skiing, quietish slopes, just what the doctor ordered after Christmas.

Coldest ski day -30 in Winterpark Colorado last year, rather bracing! Bless them the resort hosts were busy warning everyone about the danger of frostbite. must admit we had quite a short day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skidoodle wrote:
just what the doctor ordered after Christmas.

This is the key point.

Banish those post-crimbo holiday blues with a few days away on the slopes. A sweet feeling to be on the tube with all the glum faces on Jan 2nd knowing that in a few days time you'll be making shapes on empty slopes. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't come in January - we don't want to see you then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cbowls30, you couldnt of put it any better......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm amazed how cold you guys have skied in Canada. I've skied every weekend for 3 years and most for the 2 before that. Can't ever remember it quite that cold. Plenty of days in the minus twenties (without windchill).

I thought they stopped the lifties from working when its - 35 due to health and safety and they stop the kit too as it has problems at around this temp
ski holidays
I don't think it gets that cold here - skiing in January is lovely.
latest report
Quote:

snot-cicles are just not a good look.

Smile
snow report
gryphea, We had -30 at Lake Louise day lodge according to the displays. -45 up top (which was closed), more with windchill. Had only started running mid morning that day as they were defrosting the generators. Sunshine wasn't running that day because the diesel frose up, and they couldn't run the gondolas. Was certainally cold enough to freeze the little alcohol thermometer I carried on my backpack at the time.

Maybe H&S has finally caught up with Alberta and stopped these shenanigans...
ski holidays
January is the best time. Go for it
snow conditions
January is the best.
Coldest : January evening, Niseko, Hokkaido

Edit : the only downside is shorter days, but does that really count as a downside when one is ski-ing ?...
ski holidays
January is not always the coldest time to ski, this January was relatively mild with many powder days and frost came in February and stayed for 3 weeks. We skied at -25C-28C and it was cold but, if you layer properly and don't expose skin, bearable, we had a few pitstops to go inside for a warm drink but overall it was OK, and we hiked for turns couple times and we had to take layers off. There were so few people skiing and snow was amazing. At one point I was the only person on the whole run and normally it's very busy. I certainly prefer these cold days to a typical blueburd day during frees/thaw cycle when literally every person comes skiing. Don't be afraid of the weather, dress warmly and you will be fine. January is a quieter month and skiing is often the best.
latest report
I love to ski in January it can be a bit chilly but get a good leg burn going and youll not feel it. I haven`t noted the temperatures Ive skied in but last week in Jan 2012 in Les Arcs was pretty cool. All said, I would ski in any temp and just dress accordingly.
snow conditions
gryphea wrote:

I thought they stopped the lifties from working when its - 35 due to health and safety and they stop the kit too as it has problems at around this temp

gryphea I'd heard they stopped lifts running around the -40's, more so that if the lift did stop they didnt have time to evacuate people before the cold did serious damage. Told this by a Canadian liftie so may not be totally true - but does make sense.
snow conditions
Always jan for me. Take the kids out of school for the week. Quiet pistes and far cheaper too.
snow report
-15 last December with WC in ADH

Too cold for me really on the days when it was blizzarding and miserable vis. We had to stop for lunch somewhere warm each day to get the hands and feet warm again.
snow conditions
Apart from last season, we always look to go out 2nd week in Jan. Prices are great etc as previously stated and quiet.

I don't want to jinx it... Confused but we have always been VERY fortunate with the weather. Snowing at night and clear (ish) skies during the day. We have only been skiing for the past 5 years but I think we have lost maybe 1 day on the slopes to bad weather (visibility). I think that is always the risk in January though.
latest report
Banff -38, made it something like -52 at top of mountain with windchill factor. Skis stuck to the snow, top half of mountain closed. The bus driver was telling us the signs of frostbite to look out for on each other. Day or two later (it had warmed a couple of degrees by then) we were walking into town, with ice forming on our eyelashes. Very amused by the lads walking ahead of us discussing their mate who had apparently got frostbite in his left nut Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy