Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Those winding ascents (and descents), how bad for driving?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[quote="jimmybog"]" have even contemplated Pila, and me and the wee one getting off at the bottom and getting the gondola up!! , but that's ridiculous, isn't it?? "

If you don't like heights then you may want to avoid that gondola as it goes up a long long way. Think it takes about 15 to 20 minutes from the valley floor up to resort.

Yes I've been on that gondola and now you mention it, I didn't particularly like it either!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
quinton wrote:
Gilly28, 'The Alps' is a broad concept - if you choose La Rosiere for example, then you'll be faced with the last 15km of your journey being an uphill hairpin-bend torture trail. If on the other hand you chose to drive to Austria, then the majority of your journey would be on excellent German autobahns, and as the resorts tend to be located along valley floors with no nasty ascents to negotiate, the last 10km will be a doddle as well.

[Stands back and waits for usual rubbish about Austrian resorts all being green fields at Easter ...]

Ha! Part of my job includes some transfers from Geneva to La Rosiere. Is it that bad? I feel I am a confident but safe driver. Not much snow driving experience mind. Some good advice on here I see.

P.S Whats a realistic transfer time from Geneva?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have been driving out to the alps from Scotland at least twice a year for the last 20 years - at all times from mid December to mid April. The roads are usually fine and we had only put chains on twice until last winter. Arrived just as the snow started to fall heavily in December and had the chains on for the full 2 weeks we were there. If you are nervous about driving up to a resort I suggest Brides les Bains. Many prople on this forum will knock it but it gives access to the 3V by gondola from the valley. The motorway stops at Moutiers just a few km before that. There is a free covered car park in the centre of Brides so you can leave the car there and plenty of appartments and hotels nearby. If we had stayed there last December we wouldn't have needed the chains - but we were in Meribel that time...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mogulski,

Hi, we will also be driving from Scotland, how do you find the drive? Do you get the Hull ferry or Dover way?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have done both from Newcastle and TBH it depends on the sea - if you get a nice crossing then the Hull route gets you to Zeebrugge around 9am (by the time you get off the boat) nice and refreshed. However if it is a bad crossing - we had one last year where you could hardly lie in bed it was that rough - saw us 2 hours late getting into Zeebrugge very tired and for some nauseous. Boat can be more expensive depending on room quality your happy with - we always went for nice outside one (inside ones are bunk beds and quite claustrophobic) costs about 350 return.
Since then have left 9.30 from NCL drive to Folkstone - quick tunnel crossing drive to Reims (2hours ish drive) overnight in Reimes (IBIS 55 Euros) inc breakfast rest of way to les Arcs next day nice easy drive arrive in resort afternoon.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
migletski, Thanks for the heads up on potential rough crossings. We have done the Dover crossing, when going to Champagne region in summer, and just left here really early in morning, stayed overnight near the ferry, early crossing in morning and drove to the campsite which was not too far from Troyes, that was such an easy drive. Was thinking if the Hull ferry, we'd get an earlier start on the other side, but as you say, if the crossing is bad, we may not actually get much of a rest, so it is something to consider.

Price wise it works out eachy peachy, what we pay extra on the Hull ferry we save on overnights in hotel and diesel to Dover. Mmmm might just do the tunnel and use Tesco vouchers, save some money there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy