Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

helmet argument

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
Bode Swiller, so you are suggesting it's just better not to ski Puzzled

No, I'm suggesting that people learn to ski. Put it this way, if you find yourself having glancing blows with your head against trees (often given as a reason for wearing one) then you have no idea what you are doing because one of those close encounters might turn into a more serious impact. If you are skiing a line where your arms or shoulders are glancing off trees then you should start thinking "maybe I'm getting too close to the tree, derrr...". The answer isn't to put a helmet on, the answer is to adjust the behaviour that puts your body and especially your head, in harms way in the first place. You can ski trees safely without putting your head into contact with them.

As for people who lose control on the piste and smack full-on into a tree on the side of the piste (as often happens in North America), well that has an outcome that won't be changed by wearing a helmet or not so the answer isn't a helmet. The trouble with the helmet promoters is that they only ever put forward one answer and that's their product, and most people, the media especially, suck it up and re-promote the idea from the point of view of almost total ignorance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
finestgreen wrote:
Quote:

Please present this "balance of the evidence" then. You'd be the first to be able to.

Well, I wouldn't be, but here's some again.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/02February/Pages/head-injury-protection-ski-helmet.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23117389

If the downsides were bigger than a negligible investment and an occasional itchy head then I might need more definitive evidence, but as things are I think it's obvious what the sensible choice is.

and some more reading to help with the balance: http://skicanadamag.com/2011/12/05/gear/helmet-science
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very interesting article, Bode Swiller.

I don't wear a helmet because I don't like wearing helmets. After reading this article I shall continue to avoid trees and look out for drunk out-of-control snow users. I think I'll be alright.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going to be using the helment this season after years of the hat.
It's not so much that I'm going to be (not!) colliding with trees/rock/lift machinery whatever.

The problem is indeed the other out of control/outside their competance/speed merchants skiers making it a misery for the rest.
Add in the Gopro wearers filming others while not looking where they are going....
Not to mention those who take off their skis, put them on their shoulders and promptly turn round without looking.
Me slipping/tripping on the steps down to the hotel ski/boot store.
So I'm guarding aginst the "minor" injury rather than the major/fatal one

The worst example of bad skiing I ever saw was a class lined up on the edge of the piste, instructor facing them a few yards away as is normal...and a snowboarder goes down the gap between them at full speed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andy from embsay wrote:
Here's a question. Do people wear helmets to do multi-day tours?

Yes. I suspect that helmet use amongst ski tourers might be much lower than use by resort skiers mind you, but I don't actually have any evidence to back that up, just observations wink I don't believe I've ever seen a mountain guide wearing one, for what that's worth.

andy from embsay wrote:
I can see the disadvantages of the extra weight/sweaty head, but why wouldn't you wear one for the rocky/glaciery downhill bits?

Helmets and jackets come off for the skin up, and go back on for the descent... unless it is very cold indeed. If I were doing actual ski mountaineering worthy of the name, I might get a helmet certified for climbing and skiing use and wear it for more of the up. My touring has been quite tame to date, however, and I've not had to worry about rockfall/serac falls/avalanches/actual climbing during the ascent.

andy from embsay wrote:
certain death

rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy