Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fly & ski same day

Poster: A snowHead
hedley, in Verbier, your lift pass starts working at 3.30 on the day before it's meant to. At least it does if you buy a weeks pass.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah wrote:
laura1182 wrote:
Early flight to Munich, 1.5hr drive to the ski welt - great après in Soll. Late departure home. Doing exactly that in March - flying 7am Saturday to Munich, 3.5 days skiing, depart Munich 9.00pm Tuesday. Flights with Lufthansa were £110.

The late flight back is a bonus - where's that flying from? May just have to look into that. (Lufthansa do free ski carriage too I think?)

Birmingham
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Done the early flight ti Innsbruck a few times and been on the slopes by 12:30 (Stuben and Obergurgl). Well worth the early start
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do this every year.
Plan A is 07:10 flight from Bristol, land at Geneva at 09:50, in the private bus by 11, and at Flaine / Chamonix by 12. Quick change and trip to the hire shop (and no unpacking) and on to the slopes while most people are at lunch.
However we have also had a 3 hour delay on the runway at Bristol, and gone as far down as Tignes, but in both cases we still got a couple of hours in before the lifts closed.
Just regard it as a bonus and warm up at the start of the holiday, and then anything you get is a plus.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simonskis, dunno if you've been thru theses already but http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/ has links to airports and resorts x hours away. January is pretty snow-safe everywhere in the average season so main limiting factor as you've realised is airports with early flights out and late flights in. Early and late season, choice of resort becomes more critical. For varied skiing areas though, think about Cham, PdS and Grand Massif nr GVA; Milky Way nr Turin; Dolomites nr Venice; Ski Welt nr Munich; Ski Welt, Salzburger Sportwelt/Ski Amade, Europa Sport Region nr Salzburg. HTH! snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-12-12 21:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With EasyJet flights from Geneva at 9,30pm or 9,45pm (depending on destination airport) you can ski all of your last day at many resorts,
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think all ready suggested above Ski Welt in Austria, went to Soll this year arrived just after lunch had a leisurely afternoon and then hit the flood lit night skiing. from memory they had night skiing wednesday throught to saturday and it was on 6:30pm to 9:30pm So very possible to fit in a few hours in the afternoon and then another few after dark if your organised.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simonskis, if it's just for the weekend, you gotta go the night before surely. Realistically you are just not going to be on the slopes before 12, and the slightest hitch can wipe out the day. I've tried it a few times, and there's always some bit of nonsense with car rental or ski hire, even if the plane is on time. As others have said, if it's a bit of icing on the cake for day 1 of a week, that's one thing, but if it's just a 2 day trip....

If you're trying to save on accommo, just go supercheap like UCPA, or stay down the valley/near the airport on the Friday night.

Overnight train from Paris definitely an option -- I've often done it (to Tignes, La Plagne, Les Arcs), and one is almost always on the slopes by 0930.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Instead of being hung up on France try flying to Turin, hire a car and drive 40 minutes to Sauze.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for all your help, having done hours of flight research, I have settled on 17 January EJ flights 7am to Geneva on a Thursday morning, return 9.20pm on the Sunday night. Should be good for 3.5 days skiing, now to find a resort....... Little Angel Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have done exact same flights. Finished a 12 hour night shift, straight to Liverpool for 7am to GVA.
Hire car to Les Carroz as my friends were staying the week on a package in Flaine, i couldnt make it as i work shifts with holidays set in stone.
Checked into hotel le croix, no problem doing short stays, les airielles is even better located. Logisdefrance for booking hotel.
Picked up skis, drove to large car park at foot of slopes, bought ticket met mates there before 1pm.
Out on the beer until midnight.
Flight back on the Sunday evening, back in to work Monday morning.
Have done the same in Morzine and La Clusaz also, cant remember names of the hotels though.
You will probably find that the short stay problem will be hotels. This is where Logisdefrance comes good.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm aiming to do this when I go to Morzine in March. Jet2 flight is at 6:55, so scheduled to arrive in Geneva at 09:55. I'm hoping with no delays to be on the slopes for 2pm...or am I being too optimisitc?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory, Not in the least. As long as there are no hiccups along the way. Biggest inconvenience now is the trek to the hire car pick up car park at GVA.
For ease there is a ski hire shop right at the entrance to the main lift, Super Morzine keeps it simple.
1pm is quite possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ianbradders, superb! We're are being picked up by the chalet's mini-bus and skis will be waiting at the chalet, so it's looking good. Do you know what time last lift is?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
need to think about what to do with baggage - helpful to have accommodation where you could at least dump bags and change, before going skiing. That's not always possible.
snow report
justatheory, In March i would guess around 4.30 but they will differ depending on routes they lead to and from.
snow report
If with rental car, and you don't mind a short drive from accommodation to lifts, then this opens lots of possibilities. Big chain hotels (eg etap/ibis/accor) are geared up for 2 day weekend stays for example (often discounts at weekends too), and also midnight arrivials if you go after work on a friday. Just get up 30mins earlier for breakfast to make first lift, and pass on the apres.

Have base layers and fleece in hand baggage, swap in to them in GVA while waiting for checked baggage (if not already wearing them). I've swapped trousers for ski pants in the carpark before now.
snow report
Quote:

I've swapped trousers for ski pants in the carpark before now.

Me too. If you have a car, it's really not a problem.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've swapped trousers for ski pants in the carpark before now.

Me too. If you have a car, it's really not a problem.

There's usually some toilets you can use to at the base station. But most Hotels will let you nip back to their place to shower and change after you've checked out if you prefer; and will store your bags for you too, which is better than leaving everything in the car all day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy