Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

soll 12/13 season snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Afraid I dent have a report of soll snow fall, but as hooking to book for here in a couple of weeks, I'm slightly gutted to see a snow report hasn't started. Does that mean there is no snow there yet or that just no one is reporting from there. Any snow news on the soll skiwelt area? Sorry if this has been started under some Tyrol name but couldnt seem to find one. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it'll just be that there aren't any Snowheads there atm. Check the webcams maybe? Been pretty snowy around Innsbruck, so I'd have thought they'd have got some too.

Check out Espri's Kitzbuehl updates in the general Austria thread too, pretty close to each other.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiWelt is not opening until 14th/16th December so there's not much information yet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The webcams are showing a light covering on the main slope above the mid gondola station,with some light falls forecasted in the next few days.
Day/nightime temps have now dropped,which will help preserve whatever falls. As last year,I shall be out there over Christmas. I would'nt be too concerned just yet,this time last year it was still brown fields! Then it threw it down,and conditions at Christmas were awesome. Spent most of the week in knee deep powder Toofy Grin
Soll,and Austria in general,always seems to produce the goods just when its needed wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Light snow flurries on and off today,and most of the snow guns are running on the higher areas. Some heavier falls forecasted?

Were getting there wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jon Ford, There was a decent fall of snow yesterday, 10-15cm.

check out the webcams on this link

http://www.feratel.com/webcams-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/soell-am-wilden-kaiser.html

More is forecast for this week but bear in mind that I'd say it's not that common to be able to ski right down to the valley in early season in Tirolean resorts. Downriding the gondola from a mid-station is the norm I would say
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the replies. Won't get booking anything till round Christmas day so hopefully get some good fall before that. Really want to hit Austria this season so hoping for a good dump of snow. Will keep an eye out on reports and webcams. Thanks again
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, just for you (maybe), I went for a tour up Westendorf today - no need to worry, there is (some) snow wink Snowing (lightly) as I left too.

I'll post some more info/pics on the Innsbruck/Tirol thread later, gotta go pick my gf up from the train station now.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
I'd say it's not that common to be able to ski right down to the valley in early season in Tirolean resorts. Downriding the gondola from a mid-station is the norm I would say
Not in my experience. Generally when they open mid December it's top to bottom, in fact I can't remember last time I had to download. And you need very little snow depth to open lower pastures of places like Soll, St Johann etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, +1
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+2 - only places I've had to download were early seasona t the Stubaier, and Nordkette (bottom is about 800m, brutally south-facing, with no snow cannons).

Westendorf was skiable to the bottom today (just)...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowskisnow,

Hi snowskisnow. We are staying in Ellmau over Christmas. We love the Skiwelt area. We stayed in Westendorf in Feb this year and Ellmau year before that, but it will be our first trip over the Xmas period.Looking at the webcams today it looks like they have had a good dump today and more forecast this week. A silly question for you. Are the lifts open as normal over Xmas day/Boxing day? Gaz.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gazza871, Yes they are -Christmas Day is usually relatively quiet as people are either visiting relatives or travelling to the resorts. Most Day trippers(Austrian and Bavarians) will turn up on Boxing Day along with all the others who have the day off or just started their 10 day holiday. Make the most of it as it is a wonderful feeling skiing while the majority of the UK residents pig out get drunk and watch endless repeats between family rows! Very Happy wink Guess why I have not spent a Christmas in the UK for over 30 years Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gazza871, You will love it and,as Samerberg Sue has said,all lifts as normal...in fact everything as normal wink I love the understated nature of an Austrian Christmas. No tacky lights strewn over houses and assorted trees,no gaudy banners....in fact,you would hardly know its Christmas(or at least the bloatfest it has turned into in the UK!).
My Christmas day is planned out. Ski till lunch,where we shall be found in the Sunseithutte overlooking Hopfgarten.My daughter will,almost certainly,have Spag Bol, whilst I shall dine on something involving large sausages & a glass or two of chilled local brew Toofy Grin The sun will shine,the snow will be perfect....and there is nowhere else I would rather be.....except possibly St Anton Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
looks like it's dumping down again today in the Ski Welt, Very Happy

Some respectable depths recorded already and I see Sheffau has opened up its gondola to the mid station.

Certainly no probs about skiing back to the valley stations early in this season - maybe my memory goes back to the bad old days of the '90s before such widespread snowmaking
latest report
Cheers fir update red 27, hoping to book in a couple of weeks so any updates would be great
ski holidays
Jon Ford, I'm going in Jan so I'll have my eyes on the conditions and update the thread accordingly Smile
latest report
a decent dump forecast over the next 48 hours - looks like a foot or so and right down into the valley so all set up for the perfect start to the season

Smile
snow report
Bergfex reports a huge dump in the SkiWelt yesterday - 45cm
ski holidays
Skied there yesterday. Some snow top-up would be welcome. On some pistes you had to watch closely the surface to protect your skis. Valley run to Scheffau was officially closed at the middle station, but most people ignored it and skied down to the car park.
ski holidays
I had intended to ski in Kirchberg today but at the last minute decided to go to the SkiWelt area instead. As the Astberg lift in Going wasn't running, I drove on to the Hartkaiserbahn in Ellmau. On the way I took this photo of the beginners' area in Ellmau village. The other beginners' area at the east end of the village on the road to Going has a less steep section.

It started out as a real bluebird day, though thin clouds appeared in the afternoon. And it was quite cold, I saw -4°C on one display. This view looking over to the Wilder Kaiser range is from the top of the Eiberg above Scheffau, with the Jochstubn restaurant in the foreground.

The snow was in general very good but varied from place to place. Some was superb, firm and grippy, but there were also very hard sections, tending to icy. Off the piste I found it rather heavy and mostly tracked. I didn't try too much off-piste, though a few areas looked quite attractive.

I did mark up two novelties (for me) during the day: from Hochsöll - shown in the photo below...

...I skied for the first time down the blue run that takes you back to Söll. That goes off on the left through the trees (the red piste down to Söll -I would rather classify it black- goes off from the right of the photo). I found the blue route attractive and there was even a watering hole on the way, the Jausenstation Oberhausberg (sadly not open today).

I also managed to ski 5 valley runs, to Hopfgarten, Söll (twice), Brixen, Scheffau and back to Ellmau. Never done all that in one day before. The pistes were very quiet and in excellent condition. To finish here's a view looking down to Brixen, with the pistes of Westendorf on the other side of the valley (the linking lift opened today)...

One other point: if anyone is arriving on Saturday, 15th Dec, and can't wait to get onto the slopes, there is cheap night skiing in Söll that evening (kids free, adults at the child price).

It was a good day!
ski holidays
espri wrote:
I had intended to ski in Kirchberg today but at the last minute decided to go to the SkiWelt area instead. As the Astberg lift in Going wasn't running, I drove on to the Hartkaiserbahn in Ellmau. On the way I took this photo of the beginners' area in Ellmau village. The other beginners' area at the east end of the village on the road to Going has a less steep section.

It started out as a real bluebird day, though thin clouds appeared in the afternoon. And it was quite cold, I saw -4°C on one display. This view looking over to the Wilder Kaiser range is from the top of the Eiberg above Scheffau, with the Jochstubn restaurant in the foreground.

The snow was in general very good but varied from place to place. Some was superb, firm and grippy, but there were also very hard sections, tending to icy. Off the piste I found it rather heavy and mostly tracked. I didn't try too much off-piste, though a few areas looked quite attractive.

I did mark up two novelties (for me) during the day: from Hochsöll - shown in the photo below...

...I skied for the first time down the blue run that takes you back to Söll. That goes off on the left through the trees (the red piste down to Söll -I would rather classify it black- goes off from the right of the photo). I found the blue route attractive and there was even a watering hole on the way, the Jausenstation Oberhausberg (sadly not open today).

I also managed to ski 5 valley runs, to Hopfgarten, Söll (twice), Brixen, Scheffau and back to Ellmau. Never done all that in one day before. The pistes were very quiet and in excellent condition. To finish here's a view looking down to Brixen, with the pistes of Westendorf on the other side of the valley (the linking lift opened today)...

One other point: if anyone is arriving on Saturday, 15th Dec, and can't wait to get onto the slopes, there is cheap night skiing in Söll that evening (kids free, adults at the child price).

It was a good day!

Hi esprit. Thanks for the Skiwelt update and the great photos. It looks fantastic. We travel out to Ellmau on 22nd December and can't wait. I think the whole area opens on 15th December. Enjoy the rest of your season.
snow report
espri, great photos - looking superb out there Smile
ski holidays
Hi all.we r hopefully booking ski hol boxing day and stilk want to go soll/Ellmau. Before wd book I just want to confirm that there has been a good start to the season there. I know there has been a good start to france and other austrian resorts but as there hasnt been much feedback on skiwelt. Forecasts show snow fall (as well as bit of rain at resort level). Is this normal for this time of season/is it a good start compared to previous years. We r thinking of going either last week jan or 1st week feb. Thanks for any help
latest report
Jon Ford, yes it's been good, at that time it'll be fine, as always.

The reason there is little feedback ont he SkiWelt is there aren't any SH's based there and it's only recently opened. Did you see my photos of the area in the other thread?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 21-12-12 20:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
clarky999, thanks, bit more reassuring, yes, looked at your photos, looks great. Was just hoping it isnt a 1 off and it carries on into the season.
ski holidays
Jon Ford, would be pretty unusual for them to get only one snowfall a season wink
ski holidays
True
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabulous snow there at the moment - this morning was amazing - powder a long way down but then got a lot warmer and the powder turned into semolina but the pistes have plenty of snowbase and most of the valley runs are open - even the black no 1 from above Hochbrixen down the gondola bahn unpisted bliss.
ski holidays
In Soll at the moment ,and its all looking pretty good. Has got a bit warm,and the forecast speaks of possible rain tomorrow? Nothing major though. Plenty of snow,even on the beginners field,so this week will be fine. Possible snow Friday/Sat. Happy Christmas all.
snow conditions
snowskisnow, thanks for the update.

Looks like a nice top up coming on Friday with temps staying cold Smile
snow conditions
Thanks for update snowskisnow, 5 weeks and counting. Hoping for good few dumps between now and then. Just been looking at photos and youtube vids to get me in mood. Snow dance later
snow report
a Large dump or minging rain this Saturday, depending on subtle temperature fluctuations...

I predict a good result but we shall see...
ski holidays
20cm snow given for top of mountain on saturday. Heavy rain (5mm...not cm) given for the valley. As valley lower down, im not too worried....plus ive got 4 weeks yet. Promising!!
snow report
Hi all,

Been skiing skiwelt most of my 33 years and just returned from Going on 2/1/13.
Firstly, in my perfectionists opinion the snow is poor compared to last year Feb or even previous year xmas week. There is a lot less than reported on skiwelt website, I would say 50 top 30 mid and 10 depending which villiage your in. Also as the temperatures are high and its busy the pistes are being destroyed by 12 mid day and the skiing is really heavy going for the rest of the day. So get up early. The bottom is icy and hard and the mid is soft and mogully.
Please dont be put off the area is as magical as ever but something is not right this year: the tropical temps really do not belong in a ski resort and picking up my daughter from ski school in the pouring rain is not an experience i want to repeat.

On the plus side it did dump at all levels last weds and it was one of the best blizzards ive ever ski in, must of been 40 cm powder at top. Also if you spoke to the others in my group they would say the conditions are fine, however as i said im a perfectionist. Also the food was great and such good value.

If i was going again this year id wait till first week feb and book last minute, oh and i wouldnt check snow forecast or igluski ever. Bergfex and zamg seem most accurate also skiwelt site for forecast( just bear in mind its for hohe salve at 1829m so if its 0degree snow there then it could easily be rain everywhere else.
snow report
astribo wrote:
picking up my daughter from ski school in the pouring rain is not an experience i want to repeat.

Give her the bus fare next time wink

Seriously, thanks for the update, nothing wrong with being a perfectionist (apart, I suppose, from the constant sense of disappointment)

Should be better than my visit at this time in 1984 when there were only 5 runs open (in that little shady bowl above Sheffau) and everyone from every ski welt resort was being bussed in. Silly. And messy. We enjoyed ourselves snowHead
snow conditions
Looks like an inch and a half of rain is expected to fall at least up to 1300m for the next 2 days.

Better news is that temperatures on all weather sites are dropping from around next Friday 11/1.
latest report
Got 4 weeks for the temps to drop and the snow to fall. Very Happy
latest report
snowing hard today down to 1150 at least and with cold temps to come they'll be able to get the cannons onto the home runs Smile
snow conditions
astribo, you need different skis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy