Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cleaning Leki Leather Gloves (Inside)

Poster: A snowHead
My Leki Worldcup gloves are minging like a cheese factory inside Embarassed, so can I have some suggestions as to how to freshen them up (other than buy a new pair). On the label every single wash type has a cross through it (no surpise), I asked Leki and they didn't bother to reply. I read something about dunking them in cold water with baby shampoo for 15 minutes Puzzled Any better suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wet your hands, put gloves on, take them off, Fill them with (clean) cat litter, leave them somewhere warm and dry for a few days, hoover them out. The cat litter will absorb the damp from your hands and the nasty niffs. Obviously this is not washing but it will clear the air. Also works on boots.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, any particular one? Tesco seem to have 15 differrent ones, value 10kg for £1.70, "Bob Martin Meadow Fresh Litter Freshener 500G" at £1.09 for 0.5kg or some anti bacterial ones as well??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The ming will be persistent because of all the lovely bacteria and fungi which will now be living inside the gloves. They'll be a bit of a bugger to kill off completely, but you can certainly cut down on their population.

Dry em out (the catlitter suggestion above is a good one), and then assault with disinfectant (see here for a related story). Might be an idea to give em a quick rinse and dry after that. I've a sneaking suspicion that fumigating them with formaldehyde would do the job nicely, but that's not quite as practical as hosing them down with slightly less hazardous household chemicals!

There's a risk of cracking the leather if you freeze it, but as a last resort this might work. Possibly also a nice UVC light for a few minutes might do the job, but if you can't invert the fingers you'll have a job zapping everywhere. Also, you probably don't have a UVC light just lying around.

Good luck, and next time let them dry out after a soaking rather than leaving them to fester Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
woodpecker wrote:
I asked Leki and they didn't bother to reply?

they want to reply "buy a new pair"

just wash them and put them in the freezer for a couple days, then wash.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
woodpecker, I use whatever my cat owner friends have in their cupboard!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok thanks for the comments, after wearing them I always put them in the airing cupboard and they feel dry inside.

How does this sound as a plan.

1. Wet them, fill with cat litter.
2. Leave in airing cupboard then hoover out.
3. Rinse out with water and a splash of Tesco Daisy Floral Disinfectant
4. Dry again

Maybe add a freeze cycle in here as well.

I guess I'll be either left with Daisy fresh gloves Toofy Grin or ruined mess Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've had a pair of Leki leather gloves with the old style 'S' trigger for years. Regular (gentle) drying out over a rad every time I use them seems to keep down any smell issues.

I'd be very leery about putting kitty litter anywhere near my kit. Water - not really a good idea as it's not great for the leather, to put it mildly

1.0 remove all metal bits possible and ensure as dry as possible
2.0 bag in microwave bag
3.0 freeze over night (if the gloves are dry, bagged and have had leather care treatment before, cracking should not be an issue)
4.0 remove and microwave for 30 secs - you should use a microwave that allows coated (usually enamelled/metal stand) metal to be used in it and keep any irremoveable metal bits on the gloves as near to the centre as possible)
5.0 open bag and see if gloves got hot enough (shouldn't be boiling levels)
6.0 if still cool-ish - repeat microwave cycle until hottish
7.0 remove from bag and whilst still hot put each glove on antiseptic CLEAN hands, work in some leather care liquid (that you prepared earlier) into the leather outers.
8.0 buff to a nice shine and replace metal bits.

That should kill two birds, so to speak.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Remember to remove hands from gloves before microwaving.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a pair of Mountain Equipment Assult gloves which are part leather and I wash them with soap flakes on a gentle wash then dry slowly and then rub in Hestra leather balm........ Fluffy on the inside,weatherproof on the outside.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably too late for this suggestion now, but I had a similar problem in the past. I bought expensive new Reusch leather gloves, and 10 pairs of Decathlon's finest cheap glove liners. I wear them under the glove, and wash the liners every week. My leather gloves still smell sweet, at least they did until I lost them in a bar in Zermatt a few weeks ago... Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
a 30 degree wash in the washing machine with some milton fluid or other similar sterilising stuff. It's not any warmer than if you were wearing them on your hands in the rain, so it won't going to damage the fabric nor leather. Leave them to dry naturally and the feed the leather with an appropriate wax or other treatment fluid to allow it to remain supple and waterproof.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what will freezing them accomplish? Many bacteria can survive being frozen (bedbugs can't, but you do need to freeze them for quite some time....)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
what will freezing them accomplish? Many bacteria can survive being frozen (bedbugs can't, but you do need to freeze them for quite some time....)

It'll stop them smelling for a while, but won't kill the bacteria. The smell will soon come back as they re-multiply. Freezing is very much a temporary measure IME
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
woodpecker, . . . RattytheSnowRat, has it pretty much right, but watch out for sparks in the mico with the metal bits.

Another way is to soak them in Isopropyl alcohol, though that has its own problem with dyes etc, then naturally dry and use a leather food to re-proof the leather.

But your primary problem is the fungus on your hands that's been transferred there from your feet, nethers or the environment. Before you put you gloves back on, wash your hands and then rub a small amount of either coconut oil or, better, Vicks VapoRub into your hands, fingers and especially your nail beds. If you do this 2 or three times a day your gloves will never reek.
snow report
pam w, it's the freeze thaw nuke combo - it should do for pretty much every nasty under the sun if done right and it means you don't have to use any chemicals or cleaners which - although they may work - can have unwanted side effects like leeching the leather or removing dye. Freezing alone won't do it but the nuking as well should do the trick.

Obviously the key thing is to only put clean hands in your gloves in the first place - most of the trouble comes from not doing this.Chamcham's method is therefore a winner in the preventative stakes.
snow report
Yeah what Chamcham said. Decathlon sells super thin running gloves/glove liners/silk gloves. They are stupidly cheap (something like a quid each) and you can change them around, wash them etc and it keeps your gloves lovely.
ski holidays
zanarchist, yup - got a few pairs but hardly ever use them - they make me sweat a bit when I'm working it on the slopes Sad

sorry Masque, just read you post which more or less said what I did before I did. Embarassed
latest report
Rub vicks on your hands before you wear them. Works for boots too
snow report
madmole wrote:
Rub vicks on your hands before you wear them. Works for boots too

Wait... how do you wear your boots? Puzzled
snow conditions
Serriadh, he's a mad mole, isn't it obvious? He wears them on his hands .....
ski holidays
I found the Breathe Right nasal strips for ski and mitts, way cool and simple to keep our hand gear fresh and dry. Google Airloop Glove Drying Rings. Simple and they work!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy