Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FR: Sainte Foy 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Yeah, new snow freshened things up quite well the other day. I didn't get to ride today. Too much work! Crying or Very sad

Skiing all day tomorrow with my parents before they go home!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rode the Fogliettaz today for the first time this season. Snow was a little wind-affected up top (some nice creamy stuff lower down) and the normally easy-option entrance had avalanched, making getting onto the face a bit sketchy, but overall pretty decent. Always worth the trip!

On piste, the lower slopes have had a bit of freeze-thaw, so can be a little bit firm in places, but are holding up well now that the New Year crowds have gone home. Up top, piste conditions are pretty good. New snow always welcome though!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing steadily for the past couple of hours. Long may it continue! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quite a bit more snow than was forecast I suspect. Chair to the top closed all day. Booked an off piste intro with Patrick at snocool for weds so hope the weather clears..........
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Top lift was closed due to the motor being replaced. Should be open tomorrow.

Tell Pat he's a muppet... good instructor though! wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Awesome conditions today; deep, light powder. Waves of snow in the trees!

No riding pics as I was solo, but here's a nice forest shot!

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what the roads are like at the moment? Driving out to SF from Geneva this weekend and with more snow in the forecast am slightly worried. Will have winter tyres and chains etc so should be fine I guess, but expecting it could take a little longer than planned???
Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great day yesterday doing the off piste Monal route with pat from snocool. Light fluffy fresh snow and hardly a soul about. Cheers for the defo Stevo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, Can anyone tell me if the lowest level chair in Sainte Foy is a 4 , 5 or 6 person chair? Going over in a few weeks and trying to work out if we can get all 3 kids and 2 adults on the chair lifts together.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4 man chair.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks Fogliettaz
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just epic at the moment. Some of the lightest, fluffiest powder I've ever ridden. Face shots all over the mountain last 2 days, sun out most of the time (snowing in-between for good measure!).

Fogliettaz tomorrow, hopefully.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agreed snow amazing but Baltic temps up top
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A wee taste of how good it's been over the past few days:

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, more please , out for a week's vanoise/tarentaise tour next sat Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Hi,

Just looking at the "new" piste map for for the 2013 season and they look to have opened up another "freeride" above the start of the Marquise lift. They call it Natur' Grand Bois.
Is it just a bit of marketing BS to try and show the resort is expanding or is it decent addition to th einbounds terrain?
Will it make getting back all the way down from the left of the Marquise a bit clearer, a bit I am always really mindful of overshooting the bottom of the lift and usually chicken out and join the blue on the corner just before the trees start.

Out there again on the 26th for 5 days, been half a dozen times before always had a great time and always managed to get some fresh tracks, but never really hit it in proper fresh powder conditions, maybe this will be the one. Powder mask out and Fish waxed Very Happy

Anyone any idea how much a guide would be for the day, preferably one on a board. I think it will probably be well out of my price range so
do any arrange mixed groups, where you are able to turn up, and join in with other single riders/skiers and share the costs for the day?

Or anyone out there from the 26th that knows the way to Monal or Col Granier and fancies some company one day, I will be on a board, but hopefully that wont put anyone off Laughing

Cheers

phil
ski holidays
Phil, contact Patrick bidwell at snocool. Did monal with him last week
snow report
qwertyuiop7, don't bother doing Monal on a board. Pleasant enough excursion, but very flat.

I have yet to see any actual evidence of the new freeride zone... maybe I'm blind though...
snow conditions
A full day of knee deep untracked non-wind affected cold light powder...couloirs, open faces, trees, pillow lines.

No where was better than St Foy today.

Nowhere.

Absolutely...

Nowhere

Thanks stevomcd snowHead
snow conditions
Sharkymark, so did you enjoy it?
latest report
I arrive on Saturday afternoon, conditions look good, could this be the year I experience a proper Sainte Foy powder day?
ski holidays
There's a lot of snow here...stevomcd may well be on later to tell you exactly how good it is here at the moment. There were lines we skied am, in full view of the piste, that only had 2 more tracks by the afternoon.

No one can promise a powder day but the weather's been variable and unpredictable this week. If that pattern continues...
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, YES snowHead
latest report
Just can t beat Ste Foy..... It's the nuts, absolutely love that little place. Biggest regret......driving past about 15 yrs ago on the way to val seeing chalets for sale at what I now know would have been an excellent investment...... But at that point in life it was all about cafe face or dicks t bar and nightlife........ Whereas now its a log fire and a couple beers....before falling asleep!!!! Lol
ski holidays
stefoy4me, sell, buy, shred snowHead
snow report
Lol.... If only. Just awaiting six numbers to come up!!!!
ski holidays
Think Sharkymark said all that was required.

Honestly one of my top-10 days ever today. Everything was knee-deep and fluffy and we hit some of the best lines in the resort. Petit Col, The Cross, Really-Far Crystal and Foyeres. Sick conditions everywhere and hardly anyone around.

qwertyuiop7, weather is all over the place (last night's "dusting" turned into epic freshies up top), but it looks like more snow is forecast around the weekend.
latest report
stevomcd, Is it possible to board along the long traverse out to "far crystal" then ride down to the green (blue this year) Plan Bois run?
I tried it late last season trying to find some fresh snow and I think we headed down to soon and came out at the top of a 40ft ridge above the red Crex de Formeian run. So board came off and we climbed down the gully to the left in the photo, no drama, just hard work in the afternoon sun.

If we had carried on traversing along far crystal would it have been possible to ride all the way and come out on the green run through the trees, or maybe onto the track that
you would join on the way back from Le Monal ??

Or is it best to always keep the Crystal Dark black run in view and just head back towards that through the odd tree and come out at the top of Crex de Formeian?

I guess if the snow is good, you dont really have much need to venture that far anyway.

Phil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like I won't be getting my powder day this year, rain on Sunday and clear skies with mild temps
all next week Sad
snow report
I think you'll be ok , the rain/snow level sunday is at most 1600m then dropping , although fairly mild for the mountains next week will still be cold at night should be able to find powder above 2000m on north facing slopes . looks ok to me . snowHead
snow report
Plenty of snow so hit the right slopes at the right times and you'll get pretty decent spring snow if that's the case. No untracked stuff though...sorry snowHead
snow report
qwertyuiop7, yes, it's possible ride down to the green/blue from Crystal Dark. In fact, it's possible to re-join the lifts/resorts in a number of different ways.

However, and I'm sorry to be harsh here, but if you had to take your board off and walk down that gully, I'd suggest you re-assess if your riding level is good enough to be venturing into the unknown off-piste! Getting back to resort via any of the above routes, unless you're very lucky, will involve steep ground / drops / bushwhacking, compared to which that gully is very easy!
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
qwertyuiop7, yes, it's possible ride down to the green/blue from Crystal Dark. In fact, it's possible to re-join the lifts/resorts in a number of different ways.

However, and I'm sorry to be harsh here, but if you had to take your board off and walk down that gully, I'd suggest you re-assess if your riding level is good enough to be venturing into the unknown off-piste! Getting back to resort via any of the above routes, unless you're very lucky, will involve steep ground / drops / bushwhacking, compared to which that gully is very easy!

In my defence as the photo doesn't really show it, no-one was riding down that gully or off that ridge, not even Travis Rice on a good day. It was full of half fallen down trees and it was more rock than snow. A walk back up above the tree line in double figure temperatures with the possibility of getting lost again, didn't seem a good idea, so a short 5 minute climb down was the easier and far safer option.
Steep, non fallen tree filled, with snow on it ground i'm ok with, also ok with the odd small drop and bushwhacking, even though im not sure what it is sounds great, so probably ok to get all the way down to the blue. But from what you say all this won't be enough unless i know the way, which i don't, and cant afford the 300Euro for a guide to show me so i best go back to the piste, and i'll leave the powder for them that can.

phil
ski holidays
Phil - we're obviously talking about different gullies, so I retract previous comment!

There are 2 big gullies through that cliff band, both of which I've ridden loads of times and it looked like you were referring to one of them.

The last section down to the blue or to the other routes back to resort is steep and full of fairly tight trees. There are also loads of little rock drops, plus one or two bigger ones. It's hard to ever ride the same line twice, but it is more or less a case of "all roads lead to Rome" as long as you're prepared to accept that you might end up in unrideably tight trees if you get unlucky. I shouldn't need to add that you are well away from any kind of patrolled area here, so you really need to be properly equipped and know what you're doing.

If you're out that way and see a bloke on a snowboard, wearing a red/blue Westbeach jacket with a SnowPulse airbag pack, ask nicely and be equipped and I'll show you the way down!
ski holidays
I am going to Ste Foy next season. Don't tell Sharkymark I said that.
latest report
harrisontherabbit, it's all about this season, unfortunately (for you wink ).

Sunny and cold today but off home. I've heard it's gonna be rocks, ice and full of people from now on wink
ski holidays
lol...it certainly won t be the last one..sharky!!!!!!
snow conditions
stefoy4me, harrisontherabbit knows the score: tackle banter with banter!
latest report
Sharkymark wrote:
harrisontherabbit, it's all about this season, unfortunately.

I know. Which is why I'll be thinking of you as my new mate Francesco shows us his favourite Dolomiti couloirs over the next couple of weeks. Glad you had a bit of fun though, after all you've missed so far. wink
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
harrisontherabbit, it's all about this season, unfortunately.

I know. Which is why I'll be thinking of you as my new mate Francesco shows us his favourite Dolomiti couloirs over the next couple of weeks. Glad you had a bit of fun though, after all you've missed so far. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy