Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how do you survive in lift queues?

Poster: A snowHead
daverutt1 wrote:
hi i`m wondering how everyone else copes with the pushing and shoving and generally un-british way of queuing that occurs
in european lift queues?

I am not sure whereabouts in the UK you live but in the major cities queuing is no longer what it was. Every man for him/herself is the new order of the day.

Skis and boards are there to be used and will get knocks and scratches in the process. A pristine, straight-from-the-shop appearance is difficult to maintain.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

My boyfriend was trying to hire a good board when we were in ADH and it was neigh on impossible

ah well, horses for courses, I suppose. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pointing out spelling mistakes is something I would never dream of doing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
George Jones, more a "play on words" joke, than a snide, pedantic remark.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is quite easy to rent a good ski set up.
Almost impossible to rent a decent snowboard set up. (maybe in some dedicated board shops but they are hard to find).
Therefore, I could agree with more snowboarders owning gear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and why do more boarders not take their boards off in big lift queues (as at least one has, in the picture of gigantic queues in Whistler, linked to above)?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, because I sure its not allowed to ride a chair lift without a foot strapped in, in most European resorts and you don't wanna be hold the queue up just when you're about to get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Once tried to get on a chair carrying my board, scary, beardie, Austrian liftman growled some German words at me till I put it on.
Probably not impossible to get it on quickly between the turnstile and the traps, no chance between traps and chair without losing a lot of points.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, because trying to strap back into it in the middle of a busy queue is likely to p!ss everyone off, including the boarder in question.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I put mine down at the last minute - but as I said above, having the despised Flow bindings makes that very easy. I wasn't proposing carrying the board up! On a drag I also clip the back foot in at the last minute, not only because I find it easier on the lift, but because if I fall I find it far easier to clear the track with both feet strapped in. If possible I clip my back foot in on a chair too - but that's because I'm useless. The only time I've hurt a knee snowboarding was falling off on the down ramp of a chair, with only one foot strapped in. The board wrenched by knee quite badly. Did I mention that I am useless?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do the sneaky back-foot clip in on lifts too. Had some very sketchy chairlift exits as a result though. The ones where the ground is a bit higher than you think it should be on arrival. Mind you I'm probably a bit longer in the leg than you!

As for taking the board off in a queue, never considered it. Mind you I couldn't care less about people bashing into it (or my skis). It's unlikely a few scratches on the topsheet of a ski or board are going to make much difference to anything... you'll damage it in a way that matters more by accidentally going over a single pebble in the middle of a run than a hundred lift queue scuffs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
0:30

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2009349405597&set=vb.1599570601&type=3&theater
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I do the sneaky back-foot clip in on lifts too.

Someone fell off one of our chairlifts two years ago doing that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mag1882 wrote:
0:30

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2009349405597&set=vb.1599570601&type=3&theater

omg is he skiing over the rocks?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Someone fell off one of our chairlifts two years ago doing that.

Shocked Yes, it can involve a bit of contortion but I've never come close to falling out. Only possible when you have a whole chair to yourself, but I generally do.
snow conditions
pick ski area with less queues or ski tour up.
ski holidays
daverutt1 wrote:
hi i`m wondering how everyone else copes with the pushing and shoving and generally un-british way of queuing that occurs
in european lift queues?

Just barge all the fat, short or old people out of the way. And boarders. And skiers with thin skis. And let through the hot chix.

The sooner you get on a lift, the sooner you're sliding.
ski holidays
Just live in NZ. Have a beer and talk some poo-poo in the lift line, usually over in under 2 minutes, no need to be super keen.
ski holidays
Corrected it for you Wink

hang11 wrote:
Just live in NZ. Talk some beer and have a poo-poo in the lift line, usually over in under 2 minutes, no need to be super keen.

No doubting that'll clear a big area Wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 1-12-12 17:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
pam w wrote:
and why do more boarders not take their boards off in big lift queues (as at least one has, in the picture of gigantic queues in Whistler, linked to above)?

Because most boarders still use tie-wraps to connect them to their boards.

Those of us with step-in bindings often take our boards off, it's the easiest way when there's a scrum. Just taking the back foot out is often sufficient though - tip the board at 45 degrees and to discourage the careless. If they're more determined, then banging the board up and down on the edge is I think a polite way to point out that the danger of crowding me.

I'd never clip in the back foot on a lift; I can clip in on the move, and I think I'm safer unclipped around the lift itself.

On the OP, I haven't noticed much difference in attitude between skiers and snowboarders, although incompetent snowboarders can maybe do more damage as it's easier to be completely incompetent on a board. Attitude seems to go more with age and nationality.
snow conditions
Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled

I haven't seen a boarder using a leash in 10 years.
snow report
I had a leash, it broke, and I threw it away.

That's the end of my leash story.

(I am going to insist on Piehole Jr having one next time we go out, but that's because he's 3 and I don't trust him).
snow conditions
Clean your fingernails with a big knife and giggle loudly . . . a lot Twisted Evil
snow conditions
In Chamrousse in Jan I saw a dude sprinting down a black run after his board. It managed to hang a right down a red to the resort centre. Clearly the board needed to be free and at one with nature with the other wild snowboards. Maybe the dude in question needed a leash. Pretty funny to watch from the lift, whilst shouting comments of 'concern'.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Puzzled Puzzled

I haven't seen a boarder using a leash in 10 years.

Me neither, although I hear you may find them in Scotland.

Leashes are nothing like tie-wraps. Strap bindings, on the other hand, are remarkably like that and can be repaired with the same if necessary.
snow report
philwig, enlighten us then - WTF is a 'tie-wrap' in the context of snowboarding?
snow report
A tie wrap is a vary dangerous weapon

http://youtube.com/v/1olCH_MSLio
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
philwig, enlighten us then - WTF is a 'tie-wrap' in the context of snowboarding?

+1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Specialman, I believe Mr philwig is referring to the use of ratchet bindings as 'tie-wrap', as he is a proponent of what he calls step-in bindings, or what the rest of us call Flow bindings, and is seeking a mildly derogatory term for an alternate technology.

This confusion is understandable as Flows are, as we all know, often referred to in the same context as other things which can be stepped in, for example, "Ewww, Look what I just stepped in!"
snow report
philwig, if Flow bindings were actually good, we would see a whole lot more of them about!
ski holidays
Approach the lift line going flat out, leaning right over the back of the board, screaming wildly in your best Queen's English, take out the entire lift queue, ride cleanly over the top of their skis and boards, before smoothly coming to a halt at the red line. Problem solved.

The reason they don't have lift queues in Canada is because the word doesn't exist there. They call them lift lines. NehNeh
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways, people are getting tribal about bindings now? Good grief, I thought the Apple/PC war was stupid enough. rolling eyes
latest report
Lizzard, the only thing you can't fight is human nature baby!
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways, Very Happy
ski holidays
I generally stick to the left of the pack and have my board at a 45 degree angle.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy