Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head Supershape Magnum 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Are these any good? I have never had a bad experience with Head skis (in fact, when renting, they were my preferred brand), and I am after a fast piste carver for days when I just want to do fast turns and zoom around. My other skis are Whitedot Ones. I love them, but they are pretty limited on hardpack/ice/corduroy - they just aren't really designed as high speed carving skis.

I would normally test skis before buying, but I have been offered a pair of the Heads, with bindings, in my size at £210 (used). Not worried if they need a tune (excepting base repair), as I can do this myself. Will I be disappointed?

My level is advanced, but by no means expert. Can ski anything on piste in a controlled fashion except steep bumps, and more a sidecountry rather than backcountry person when off piste (hence the WD Ones, rather than a Preacher or similar).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS - please feel free to recommend other, similar, skis. I'm genuinely looking to buy some higher end piste carvers at or around the 170cm mark (preferably second-hand)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are a very good ski with race origins but all-round ability for advanced to expert skiers.

Links to german tests -

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/skimagazin-5-2012-november/342524.html

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/skimagazin-5-2011/292671.html

http://www.skitest.net/de-ski-test-testsieger-race_carver-4.shtml

The Blizzard Sport G-Power Full Suspension IQ (Model 2012/2013) is another great ski in the same category.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-11-12 14:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Harry Flashman, Magnums are great skis, I ski the Titans because they're just a bit most versatile off piste. I've also got a pair of Supershapes, no complaints there either. £210 is a good price you won't be disappointed
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quickly becoming my quiver of one for Hokkaido.

Highly recommended.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They are a very good ski. The only thing I would say is that you might want to consider more of a race slalom ski to give you a completely opposite experience to your Whitedots. A lot of piste snow in Europe is machine made (increasingly so) and I think the SL ski might give you a better feel. £210 is a good deal though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
downhillalltheway - exactly the opposite experience is sort of the idea. But I know nothing about skis, really (I bought the Whitedots, my first ever owned pair of skis, after a demo; I just loved them in the park!)

Any suggestions for a race type piste ski that isn't completely, utterly unforgiving for an improving non-expert skier using non-race boots? I like the sound of something that gives very good feel. The Whitdots, while agile, excellent for skiing switch and messing about, are a little bit of a blunt instrument, preferring to be skidded than carved, and feeling uneasy and unstable on edge. The problem is that I'd like something that is OK at slower speeds and short turns too, rather than something that only become manageable/enjoyable at Mach 2... Wouldn't a race ski be a bit too full on in this respect?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harry Flashman wrote:

Any suggestions for a race type piste ski that isn't completely, utterly unforgiving for an advanced skier using non-race boots? I like the sound of something that gives very good feel. ..

I'd recommend HEAD iSupershape Magnum as a ski fitting your requirements exactly. Just buy them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks chaps - bought. Should have them in time for Tahoe!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy