Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro Camera question (well its sort of equipment isnt it :))

Poster: A snowHead
Can't comment on any other software but i use power director. It does everything i need it to and isn't too pricey compared to others available. Only drawback i sometimes get is that it doesn't respond well to other commands (bit sluggish) whilst carrying out the editing however it is a small price to pay....may not happen with a more powerful laptop/pc. I'm sure there'll be more technically minded people along to give better advice shortly. Hope that helps a little.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks I will have a look, what version do you have?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steelspoon, download the GoPro Cineform software as a first step, it'll let you put the timelapses together. iMovie on the Mac does the job fine and there is Final Cut Pro X if you want to spend a bit more.

On the PC and Mac all the other main editing suites offer a cut down version of their professional editing applications for about £60-100 and all have trials so you can try them out before buying them.

There is a free professional level editing suite called Lightworks which is a bit more complicated to get going.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ansta1 wrote:
... There are reports that some cameras (mine seem fine btw, one was replaced recently by supplier) will stop recording once connection is lost and can only be restarted after a battery pull of the camera.

I ran ProTune on a May 2012 GoPro HD2. I found that it was unstable under circumstances I couldn't work out, not related to any accessories (eg WiFi) as I don't use them. The symptoms were hard crash, and unable to record any footage. It didn't happen to start with, but once it started it rapidly became unusable.

Downgrading to the previous (non ProTune) firmware restored perfect operation.

As I'd bought this one in the US, I sucked up £3.45 of postage and RMAed it back to California. They sent me a new one which works perfectly. Great customer service.

So I'd say that if you're planning on upgrading an old HD2 to the latest firmware, test it a bit before you need to rely on it. Mine seemed fine for the first few hours use, but it wasn't.

--
GoPro mounts - I've crash landed a Quadcopter loaded with a HD2 without any case or other padding from about 30m onto grass and it took no damage (you loose the last few seconds is all). Don't call me if you break it, but I think people mollycoddle their gear way too much. Use it before it's obsolete!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Those in the know say there will most likely be 1 or maybe 2 final firmware releases for the HD2, the first to get rid of the bugs they currently have with V.198 (incidentally it is thought that the underlying issue is inconsistent hardware and this is apparently one of the reasons GP have brought most of this in house. This theory stacks up with me as I only had an issue with one of the HD2's when updating to the V.198 release. All the rest upgraded and work without any issue.

There will most likely be 2nd and final release to add the functionality that is there but not yet enabled.

My batch of HD3 blacks shipped yesterday and should be here today if not tomorrow, can't wait to have a proper play.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any one used Sony Vegas?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steelspoon, yup, it's pretty good. That and Adobe Premiere are both good options with budget versions and free trials.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks I think I will go for Sony vegas
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would love the Gopro HD Hero 3 Black. Was waiting out for Surfdome to get them in stock last Monday so that I could get 10% off with their code and 8% cashback with Quidco, but stocks never arrived. Gutted Sad

Does anyone know of any good deals (Quidco cashback merchants?). Not fussed on it arriving before Xmas, as long as it arrives before 25th January!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For the hero 2 eBay is definately the place to go but not a lot of places have the hero 3 in stock Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hope they come into stock in the New Year pretty sharpish otherwise I will have one VERY disappointed husband Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have you tried the gopro website?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I used VideoPad to make mine, found it worked on my older laptop without issues and was simple to use like windows movie maker, just without the bugs

Various links incase there's issues

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c

http://youtube.com/v/B2dngpACc8c

Le Grand Bornand Christmas 2012 - Snowboarding + Skiing - Gopro Hero 3 Silver from Streaty1984
https://vimeo.com/56485754
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here is footage from my gopro hero 2, I had it on the wrong setting

http://youtube.com/v/eOocAGDOzow
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adobe Premier Elements is pretty cheap. Got Premier Elements and Photoshop Elements in a bundle for about £120 last year.
latest report
Steelspoon, what do you mean you had it on the wrong setting?
ski holidays
i would like to add that tying a piece of elastic to your helmet through to your go pro will keep it safe if it flls off. i tried a hand plant 2 weeks ago and knocked off the go pro. if i didnt attach the go pro to the elastic i would have lost it!!!
ski holidays
ansta1, I think he means that he recorded the video in 960p which isn't the aspect ratio of the render he then created and uploaded to YouTube.

Steelspoon, Vimeo will preserve the aspect ratio of the original video if you just uploaded it straight from the camera file, I guess YouTube doesn't. It looks like you did a bit of editing and in that case you need to either make sure the project you created is setup to render the final video as 960p rather than 720p or 1080p or you can crop the video itself to cut off part of the image so it can be scaled to fit the right aspect ratio if you want to output in 720p/1080p without having the black borders.
snow report
meh, thats what i couldnt quite understand, the implication was (hes posted the same comment on another thread) that shooting in 960 made the video smaller which i thought was strange. Now when will youtube and vimeo support full 4k........... I have a couple of hd3 blacks going on a test shoot to austria this week upcoming, going to be fun seeing the footage, but perhaps not so much fun playing with all that data.

anyway back to my accounts.. grrrrr
latest report
I tend to shoot in 720p as the drift does that at 60fps, whereas 1080p is often limited to 30fps. I think the better frame-rate is far more important than the improvement in image quality, especially if you're uploading it to Vimeo or Youtube. 720p is more than good enough for me.
snow conditions
unfortunately i have to drop the hero 3 quality down to 1080 to get 60fps, shame as 240fps is going to be fun to play with, but not sure how it will integrate into a 1080p clip.
ski holidays
Yes I mean the video is not wide enough in 960p , anyone know what settings are best for skiing with the hero 2 that gives full screen footage? I don't know the difference between the 1080p and 720p and WVGA settings etc
ski holidays
Steelspoon, as MEH mentioned this is because your capture settings are matched with the final video rendering options. What are the output settings of your video?
ski holidays
I'm not sure i used premiere elements 11 to edit it and this was what it was like the whole way through, I uploaded it and rendered it straight from elements.
ski holidays
Do you not get a different angle at the different settings on the GoPro2 ? Is this not what he means, that 960p is less wide than at 720p? Think its 110 vs 130 degrees or something similar?
snow report
Yes that is what I mean thanks
snow report
You can change the field of view in 1080p
snow conditions
Steelspoon, the video resolution in the 960p mode is 1280x960 (4x3 aspect ratio). There should be a setting in the project settings that lets you change it. Then you can bring your video in and edit it and it will render out without the black bars either side. However YouTube will add them back in because it's player is widescreen (16x9 aspect ratio) only. You could upload to Vimeo instead as an alternative as its player will support different resolutions.

Or you can bring the video into a 720p project in Premier and crop the video so you remove some of the vertical parts and make it fit the right aspect ratio. Then you can have it fill the full amount of the player on YouTube.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, I don't think his issue is with the black bars and/or the aspect ratio, rather that the field of view in 960p is less than that of 720p. And I imagine his reason for suggesting to use 720p over 1080p is that on the Hero 2 its only 30fps at 1080p.
snow report
GoPro Hero2 vs. Hero: Modes and Features
Mode/Model GoPro Hero2 GoPro Hero
Video: 1080p/30fps narrow/medium/wide medium (127°)/wide (170°)
Video: 960p/48fps wide (170°) NA
Video: 960p/30fps wide (170°) wide (170°)
Video: 720p/60fps wide (170°) wide (170°)
Video: 720p/30fps wide (170°) wide (170°)
Video: WVGA/120fps wide (170°) NA
Video: WVGA/60fps wide (170°) wide (170°)
Mode/Model GoPro Hero2 GoPro Hero
Stills: 11mp wide (170°) NA
Stills: 8mp medium (127°) NA
Stills: 5mp medium (127°)/wide (170°) wide (170°)
Spec/Model GoPro Hero2 GoPro Hero
Engine Ambarella A5S Ambarella A2S
Engine core/speed ARM11/528MHz ARM9/216MHz
Imager 14mp Aptina MY9F002 5mp Aptina MT9P006I12STC
Recording lights 4 1
Burst mode 10 pics per second 3 pics per second
mini-HDMI yes no
mini-USB yes yes
Component no yes
3.5mm mic yes no
snow report
What's with the duplicate wide and sometimes wide NA ? Puzzled
snow conditions
So what would be the highest quality resolution to film skiing at with a good fps where I don't need to change the resolution when I edit it?
snow conditions
Steelspoon, 1080p is fine and gives you the largest image with a framerate that is absolutely fine for video. 720p has double the frame rate which is useful if you want to do any slow motion.
snow report
Timmaah,

Cut and paste whilst on mobile, will check clarify.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy