Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes For Christmas - Apps & off piste ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to Tignes for Christmas.

I now have a GPS type phone and would love to try a ski app, I understand Ski tracks is great but does the resort have a viable App ??

My son has done some off piste skiing with his school trip to Italy earlier this year and he would like to continue / have another go this holiday.
With Tignes being such a large area, how available is information on routes off piste, whilst staying on resort and where do I find it ??

I would rather stay on resort on un-groomed slopes, rather than go all out with guides etc.. until I have more confidence in both our abilities.

We have about 12 weeks ski experience in all, confident on reds and blacks, we have skied Tignes previously but mainly 3V.

We are going to hop across to Paradiski as part of the Tignes ski pass for a day.

Cheers
Noisey
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about Tignes , but it is generally too early to have useful offpiste cover in Dec and even early Jan.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
noisey,

There are absolutely loads of different off-piste options for Tignes and Espace Killy. The routes can be found in various books - and some on the INET. I have Les Cles des Espace Killy (very detailed book), and a pocket handbook. I purchased the pocket handbook from snow and rock. I am sure it wil be on Amazon. Off-piste routes are not advertised in the ski resorts I have been to.

You should never be doing any off-piste without all of the neccessary equipment (transceiver, shovel, probe) and knowledge of the terrain and conditions. I would look into going with a guided off-piste group with Evolution 2, ESF or similar - they will supply the equipment. You may want to consider hiring a private guide for a few morning sessions with just you and your son. Please do not start doing off-piste without the equipment, technique, and knowledge of the terrain and snowpack as this could be very dangerous indeed.

Whether there will be enough snow to be skiing off-piste in December is an important consideration. I have been lucky enough to experience superb off-piste conditions in December, other seasons it has been impossible.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for everything JayDub, says.

In addition there are a number of pistes that are 'secured' by the piste service but are never bashed - after a long period without snow they can get hideously mogulled. These are marked on the piste map.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buy Val D'Isere-Tignes Hors Piste by Steiger & Bonnevie from shop behind ESF in Val or on-line. It is in English and French. Take notice of difficulty rating and when they suggest skiable, in practice anything to walk and climb to is usually quite serious.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy