Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gare de Nord to Gare de Lyon

Poster: A snowHead
Best way with just an hour to get there.

Advice seems to be Taxi??

Pre-book? If so, any happy experiences and with whom?

Probably been covered in a previous topic but any advice appreciated. Going out 14th Dec. At Gare de Nord at 1447. Leaving Gare de Lyon 1549
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mark1863, if loads of luggage then taxi, otherwise it's one train and prob only 10-15 mins.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plenty of taxis outside GdN.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.ratp.fr/itineraires/en/ratp/resultat-detaille/start/Gare+Du+Nord+%28METRO%29%2C+Paris/end/Gare+De+Lyon+%28METRO%29%2C+Paris/is_date_start/1/date/2012-12-14/time/15%3A00%3A00/route_type/plus_rapide

Here you go.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Metro, did it in 25 minutes, cut it very fine though in the summer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Its 3 stops on the RER. Bit of a faff with luggage on the escalators/stairs but doable in 10 mins in a rushed panic (from personal experience with luggage but not skis, made the TGV with 1 min from 'composting le billet' to train pulls out the station) but allow 30 mins to cope with queues, carrying stuff and checking directions, getting a sandwich coffee etc and if its your first time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's quite a distance - about 30 mins by road. I'd take the RER. That's what I've always done!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks. I will have skis, a rucksack and probably a wheeled small bag with extendable handle. Boots, helmet, off piste kit etc inc so weighty. My left arm is effectively useless for carrying weight. Op after ski season hopefully. Off for a month but travel light. I am a one being worn, one in the wash and one waiting type of chap
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
another vote for RER
you can wait 20mins in the queue for a cab when you get off the Eurostar and if you get unlucky with the traffic you could have a rush to get to GDL in time. also GDL is a bit confusing if you haven't been there before so factor in time for wandering round wondering where on earth your platform is
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mark1863, definitely RER - have change ready for ticket machine - this is the routine.

I had 40 mins from GDN to GDL

Dash - or rather weirdly hobble at speed with bag of kit, boots and ski bag - to ticket machine. Drop bags. Fumble money into machine.
Weirdly hobble at speed through barriers and onto RER. You can now Youtube the station to work out which of the many gates to go into and which stairs to go down.
Battle against upcoming tide of people on stairs.
Get onto train and extract ski bag from closed doors.
Melt in a torrent of perspiration from all the running and having 'saved space' by wearing loads of layers.
Continue to melt and clock-watch each station.
More mad hobbling up the stairs this time against the tide coming down the stairs.
Get onto the TGV to BSM with 30 seconds to spare.

That's the RER

Now the taxi.

Saunter out to taxi.
There aren't any free.
Panic.
Get in taxi 5 mins later.
Get stuck in traffic.
Miss train.

There we go....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you buy metro tickets in the Eurostar Terminal at St P. They were available at Waterloo IIRC.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another caution on Paris taxi - some drivers aren't keen on ski bags and it seems purely down to how they feel on that particualr day. I have been declined by drivers of large 7-seater type cars with foldable seats and, conversely, have been once accepted to go in a Peugeot 306. Definitely allow for extra waiting time.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chocksaway wrote:
Can you buy metro tickets in the Eurostar Terminal at St P. They were available at Waterloo IIRC.

You can and we did this last year. The only problem was that they didn't work in the barriers and we had to go to a ticket office to change them. They did swap them for working ones but ended up taking longer than if we didn't have them. Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Metro and we did it with 2 adults, 3 suitcases, 2 boot bags, double ski bag and child in a buggy - original plan was taxi but no-one would take the ski's - You can buy your paris metro tickets on the Eurostar train - at least you used to be able to and the guards at the station gates were all kind and opened the big gates - we made the sleeper train with time to spare
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you look at the snowcarbon website you will find info on the different options.

We have done the journey you are doing lots of times. If you only have an hour I think pre-booked taxi is the best option. We have used Paris city line who are mentioned on the snow carbon website. They meet you at Paris Nord at the end of the platform and take you to the waiting car. You avoid the 20 min taxi queue. The only drawback of this transfer service is that they are not allowed to use the taxi/bus lanes which meant we were caught in a bit of traffic last time. We still easily made the train though. It worked out well for us pricewise as a family of four. Would be an expensive option for someone travelling alone.

It is probably too late for you this time, but when we have a close connection I book tickets in the front or second carriage of the Eurostar train so you spend less time stuck behind others walking along the platform.

You would also have time to get there by RER in an hour if you have planned the journey in advance. Buy tickets on the train or at St P. look up the RER line and last stop on the line so you know where to aim for when you go underground at gare du nord. Both gare du nord and gare de lyon are very big underground stations with normal metro lines and rer lines. It can take a while to walk around them and you can come across sets of steps or broken down escalators which can be tricky to manage if you are laden with luggage as we tend to be. We use the RER on our return journey when we have more time to make the connection.

Bear in mind that Gare de lyon has 2 zones (blue and yellow). If you can't see your platform number in the first area you find yourself in look for the signs to the other.

We have managed to make trains with a connection of one hour with 2 children and endless cases..it can be done but you need to do a brisk walk through the stations!

The other option is to take a normal Parisian taxi. However the queue for these can be very long. The driving standards are variable Laughing

Whilst you have a full hour bear in mind your Eurostar could be running a few mins late so you may have slightly less on the day.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone. I will take the RER. It sounds unless thing go horribly wrong I will make it. The various taxi options sound expensive and more likely to make me miss the train. I wonder why they make it so tight. Being on my own does help I think. Quick getaway out the train etc. No doubt there will be others in similar panic mode. Taxi already arranged at Bourg St M. I will check to see if there are later trains just in case. I will pre-purchase my RER ticket to try and save time

Cheers All
snow conditions
You can buy a carnet of metro tickets on the eurostar train itself from the cafe.

1 hour is plenty if everything is running to time, the journey itself only takes about 20 minutes. If booking in the future I'd consider allowing two hours and then taking lunch in Le Train Bleu at Gare d'Lyon if you have time.

This is a pretty good guide:

http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-guides/change-in-paris/paris-nord-paris-lyon
snow conditions
Mark1863 wrote:
Thanks everyone. I will take the RER. It sounds unless thing go horribly wrong I will make it. The various taxi options sound expensive and more likely to make me miss the train. I wonder why they make it so tight. Being on my own does help I think. Quick getaway out the train etc. No doubt there will be others in similar panic mode. Taxi already arranged at Bourg St M. I will check to see if there are later trains just in case. I will pre-purchase my RER ticket to try and save time

Cheers All

If you miss your train then your tickets will not be valid on any other, unless you have "Full-Fare" tickets. Buy your RER tickets in advance
latest report
Thats RER line D
Malesherbes / Melun direction (Orry La Ville direction going home).
You can also go on the internet now and buy a 10 pack of metro-tickets to be sent to you.

When/where are you going? The normal Friday evening overnight trains to the Tarrentaise have gone previous years from Gare Austerlitz.
ski holidays
A very useful archive, thanks snowHead s

Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy