Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slovenia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Anyone been to Slovenia at all and want to share some stories of fave places and best resorts etc etc... I am fully aware that slovenian resorts are pretty small in comparison to their neighbours, but I have always wanted to go and maybe spend a week touring around... Just for the alleged amazing scenery if anything...

Thx in advance and over to you guys... Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone??? Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Might be helpful...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2134019&highlight=bovec#2134019

I've only been in summer (Bovec, Mezica and Maribor), and yes, the scenery is pretty good. Ace hospitality too - beats that of pretty much every other EU country I've visited.
Quite like the idea of 2 days in Bovec, 2 days in KG and another 2 days in Maribor on skis, but it's more likely I'll be back there on 2 wheels in summer. Transfer from Bovec to KG might be interesting in winter, assuming the 52 hairpin pass is closed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers andy, Obviously posted in the wrong forum... Very Happy That is the exact area I was thinking of...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AlpineAddict,

Since there does not seem to be many takers rolling eyes then I might as well give you an account of my, totally outdated, experience.
My first introduction to skiing, at the age of 30, was on a weeks holiday in Kranjska Gora in 1988 I think. Could not speak more highly of it, friendly people even though the hotels were a bit soviet style because it was still part of communist Yugoslavia then, plenty of good restaurants in the town though. I do not know whether the ski area has been extended now, I suppose I could look on the internet. I got on so well with skiing that I went back a few weeks later to the Vogel area at Bohinj. That is a bit higher than KG and you get to the ski area in a cable car from Lake Bohinj. I think there is one hotel on the slopes, the rest are dotted around the shores of the lake. Stunning scenery and again very friendly people. We were walking back to our hotel from a night out when the manager of the hotel stopped in his "Yugo"copy of a fiat 500. There were 5 of us in it after we got in but did he make it go, I can still hear that engine screaming now.
I have only ever visited Bovec in the summer but I would say the skiing there would be more challenging but still not a big area if you are judging it by the big euro resorts, and I think it is higher again and you have to get a cable car to access the skiing area as I remember.
In summary I would gladly go back, especially to do a 2 day in each resort type of trip. Unfortunately I think the overwhelming advantage of our visits, the very low prices, have now gone since Slovenia joined the euro. Somewhere I have a 500,000 dinar note, about a fiver I think at least on the Tuesday because it would have only been worth £4-50 on the Thursday. You were advised to change your money every 2 days because thats when they announced the new exchange rate !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andy,

As I remember you go round through Italy in the winter ?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skitow, still pretty reasonable prices. We paid sub €30 per night B+B (for a room I think, not per person), in summer high season near Bovec. Maribor was probably €30 per person. Bled, Bohinj will be more for sure.
Beer and food were still pretty decent prices compared to Austria and Italy. Nowhere near as cheap as when I was in Russia, but the standard is incomparable. I'd say better than Austrian standards (and they're pretty good anyway) for less than Austrian prices, in general. Petrol was €1.02/litre first time I was there - bargain compared to the €1.70 here.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spent a fortnight in Bled and Kranjska Gora this summer.
beautiful
cheap
great food
lovely wine
great beer
cheap
fantastic cakes
cheap
lovely people
cheap

Didnt look like lots of skiing in KG however

Will poss go back this summer however
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What’s the snow like in early Jan?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys... Thx for the info... Was more thinking about spending 1 week and doing a resort/location a day (Not necc snowboarding either, maybe a day in Ljubljana as well...) Maybe a summer trip should be on the cards first...

Thx again... these posts have just upped my enthusiasm for the country... Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Since I'm living in Slovenia, I might write line or two as well Smile Personally, I don't really ski much in Slovenia, even though I'm living just under the hill of Krvavec (one of biggest, if not the biggest resort in Slovenia). For skiing holidays, I would say there's only 3 options in Slovenia. Kranjska Gora and Rogla are probably most obvious choices. Then there's Krvavec, but it's not really "standard" ski resort, since it's just some 10km from Kranj (city with 60.000 people) and only some 20-25km from Ljubljana (capital of Slovenia), so it mostly depends on daily skiers from these two cities. You can see this already by their hotel offer, which is more or less non-existing. So if you pick Krvavec you can more or less count that you will be sleeping in Ljubljana.
Either of these resorts is nothing like big resorts you can find in Austria, Italy, Switzerland or France.
Next to that, you have numerous smaller places (Bovec, Maribor with Pohorje (women WC races are there every year), Cerkno, Bohinj with Vogel...). But these are, at least in my mind, kinda ok for day, maybe two, but definitely not for week or more.
Now why I would go here... Definitely not for skiing itself. If good skiing is all you look for, pick Austria. But... prices are lower, quite a bit lower then in Austria. Lift tickets are around 26-28eur/day, which is quite a lot down compared to 41-43eur/day in Austria. Hotel prices are lower, even though you can probably get B&Bs in Austria for less then in Slovenia (at least that's my experience when going around with ski World cup). Slovenia is much smaller, and for me personally nicer then Austria, so if you take day off, you need about good hour of drive, and you are on seaside (most south part of Slovenia) or in Prekmurje (most east part of Slovenia). Both places are great to visit. Food is definitely way better then anywhere in Austria (I hate germknödel and juice with bubbles with passion!). And in general I would say people are nicer (of course we are best! NehNeh ). Sometimes it's impossible to get apartment/room in Austria for less then week, even if they have whole house empty. Here, you can easily get it for single night. And overall prices are cheaper, even though we are unfortunately closing on this one.
Why I wouldn't go here, and that's mainly why I don't ski here Smile Ski places can't really compare with Austrian. Normally when I'm at home and not around with WC, I go skiing to Nassfeld (some 130km from here, while Kranjska Gora is 50km from me). Kranjska Gora has 20-30km of tracks (less then they have xc ski tracks), while Nassfeld has 130 or 140km all equipped with newest and fastest lifts. I normally get ticket in Nassfeld for 20eur/day, while in Kranjska Gora it's 12eur for me, but those 8eur difference is worth paying for me. And when I go skiing, I go skiing. I want (big) place with fast lifts where I don't need to queue, and where I can be more or less alone on course (I know someone will say I'm idiot, but I enjoy being on GS or even SG skis going down 100+km/h). In Slovenia, that's almost never possible, since it's too much people around, which is normal considering you have only 20km of tracks to choose from.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy