Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Keeping warm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

In the past I've used my mountaineering shell salopettes for skiing on top of a pair of fleece salopettes for warmth. Frustratingly, the fleece salopettes don't have a wide enough ankle to go over the top of ski boots (fine over mountaineering boots - guess that's what they're designed for!) so I've ended up wearing them inside my boots 'wrapped' around my leg.

As you can imagine, this had led to some uncomfortable friction/rubbing/blistering so I'm looking for some ideas for warm 'mid' layer trousers/salopettes that either have a wide enough ankle that they'll go over the top of ski boots or are close enough that they'll go under without needing 'folding'.

Of course, I could just go out and buy some 'proper' ski pants but what on earth would be the fun in that?

Any ideas from the collective, as ever, would be gratefully received.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/sweet-protection-mens/mens-polartec-saviour-pant-true-black

These might work?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93502&highlight=

hagloffs 3/4 are very much a base-layer rather than insulation
Ortovox 3/4 (see snowshepherd) Warm merino wool, snug fitting
RAB 3/4 : in between a fleecey mid layer and a base layer. Close fitting.
Sweet Protection 3/4 : almost a mid-layer fleece.

Sweet are on SportPursuit at the moment http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/sweet-protection-mens/mens-polartec-saviour-pant-true-black, and I can recommend them either as a base layer, or as a mid with the Hagloffs or Ortovox underneath.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm trying a pair of these (cheap as chips)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trekmates-microfleece-mens-trousers-p131916

over icebreaker base layer and under Marmot mountaineering salopettes for really cold days
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stick with the shells. The Sweet 3/4-lengths linked to above are ace (but pretty warm, they're for cold days). I also have the normal Helly leggings, but cut the bottoms off to make them 3/4-length. Often I don't need extra layers on my legs though, and just wear my boxers under the shells.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh lordy, do not put anything other than thin socks and your feet inside ski boots!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B wrote:
I'm trying a pair of these (cheap as chips)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/trekmates-microfleece-mens-trousers-p131916

over icebreaker base layer and under Marmot mountaineering salopettes for really cold days

Colin, good luck with them, I tried them a couple of seasons ago but found them really bulky around the waist. Though they are cheap and quite a decent quality fleece. Good enough for lounging about in anyway.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could just slice the bottom of your fleece trews. Then all you need to do is to buy some cheap anklewarmers if you need to take them out with normal footwear in the future wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, I tried them on the other day with everything else under/over them. They didn't feel too bad, we'll see next week, very cold temps forecast Shocked

Cotswold suggested a RAB alternative to those Sweet polartec things. They are pretty skin tight though and over skin tight merino I didn't think they'd be too comfortable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the excellent advice. I'd never really thought about the 3/4 length before so might give them a shot.

Just signed up for sportpursuit so am thinking about the Sweet Protection ones. Reckon they'd be ok on top of some base layer leggings and under a shell? I hate having cold legs and would rather be a bit warm than too cold!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Right, I'm going for the Sweet Protection ones through sportpursuit.

It's a bit embarrassing, but I'm completely foxed by their sizing chart. I've got a 36(ish) inch waste and a 30 inch leg in regular jeans. Should I be going for medium or large? The last thing I want is to get the wrong damn size!

Any suggestions?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EvilWeevil, you can use the Sweet ones as a base layer too, just a fairly thick/warm one - no need for anything underneath.

Sweet stuff tends to run a little large, but the thermals are tighter fitting than the rest of their stuff. I normally wear 32/30 jeans, the medium is about the right size, just a touch on the large size. The medium top fits great on my shoulders but a bit loose around the middle.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had some cheap long johns which I just chopped the bottoms off - they didn't unravel, though some might, in which case you could sew a hem or just zig zag round them, if you could be bothered. If you're buying new, 3/4 is the way to go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EvilWeevil, I'm a 36 waist and went for XL and they are a good fit. i do have quite well developed glutes (aka a big ar5e) though
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers all. Just put an order in for a large so fingers crossed I don't eat too many mince pies over Christmas!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy