Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmest mitts for cold fingers?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so this topic has been brought up a couple of times but some of the recommendations are getting a little old and somewhat inconsistent.

Many people's hands stay warm no matter what. I noticed this within my group of friends. My fingers are burning in a cold pain whilst the others don't feel a thing!

I'm searching for mittens because it seems well known that they are far warmer.

So, I'm looking for those people who suffer from hands that get cold easily, and the mittens they have found to solve the problem.

Fire away!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Black Diamond climbing mitts.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RichTraff, Hestra.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hestra 3 fingers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

somewhat inconsistent.

SHs advice is consistently inconsistent!

I find the best is to have nice thick warm mitts (recent ones bought in T K Maxx loook rather good) PLUS those little hand warmer tea bag things. These will last all day and make all the difference. They work better in mitts than gloves - you can have them just at the base of your fingers, and the warmth spreads.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Equipment Randonee mittens:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/head_hands_+_feet/hands/randonee_mitt---662/

Exceptionally warm and stretchy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Canadian friend bought mitts with built in heaters, she swears by them, they have transformed her winters, she suffers from Raynauds so REALLY suffers in the cold. She got WARMTHRU hot mitts, they were pricey but worth it in her opinion. They were available on Amazon.
Rooster hot hands glove liners are FAB too, I got some for the OH they were about £12 a pair from roostersailing.com he must have tried most types of mitten from cheap through expensive before I found these. Now he has these underneath relatively cheap north face mitts and stays toasty.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From a motorcycling perspective, I'd also recommend the 3-finger or lobster-claw gloves. When my fingers have been numb with cold, even with heater grips, the lobster-claw gloves made all the difference, without sacrificing the dexterity of gloves as you'd get with a full mitt.

I've never skied with lobster claws, as I don't get as cold when I'm skiing. I thin bike kit is a good barometer (if you'll pardon the pun) for what works in cold weather, as you tend to be sat still, rather than active, in a 70mph wind often with rain thrown in too.. if it works on the bike, it'll certainly work on the mountain, even if it's a bit heavy or bulky.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi RichTraff I noticed a few people have said Hestra already ... they are lovely gloves!
But I went to Canada last year and I wish I'd taken the mitten ones I'd left back home.

So here's my tip .. take the Hestras ... they are just the best gloves .... but get the mittens .. and get a few packs of "hand warm" sachets,
they must be available everywhere now but they are an absolute essential in Banff ... The locals consider -30C as a warm day on the sun!

They do them in the $shop (I have no idea how much they cost) and you'll spend a fortune on St Patricks day crap.

You can stuff these things in your boots as well to make it a great all round day!

Or its well worth taking a pair of "inner gloves"
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agree with feef here ... mittens are a bit bulky (that's why I didn't take mine) But Hestra do the Lobsters too now!
Hey Hi lilywhite!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi lilywhite!
I don't know why my daughter wanted those expensive jackets for Christmas ....
she seems to have one already ... she sent me a snap from yesterday .... !! First day of the season.

How do you paste photos in here ??? I see people do it all the time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn, Can't help with the photo posting I'm useless too!
Which one did she get? Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know you said mits but try Power max heated gloves. They do the job and work really well. Buy the lithium re chargeable battery packs to go with them.

They are the best value heated glove on the market. We use them for paragliding in cold weather at high altitude at cloud base where its really cold and the work great.

They make 2 types with the first being more bulky. £52 and £45. They take AA baterys but as said your better off buying the lithium re charge battery pack to go with the,

http://www.xcshop.com/shop/product.php/365/powermax-heated-sports-gloves--2012-models-/dfdd6e46705623362762eee2e80f934b

Or

http://shop.flybubble.co.uk/blazewear-activa-sports-gloves
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The heat company.. heat 3 !! worn them in -30C no problems...

though honestly the best advice is keep drinking hot drinks and get moving and warmed up before you get out into the cold!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi lilywhite We dint give her any yet ..just spotted her in a picture on a lift in Andermat yesterday
I've just been sent details of how to post a picky !!!
Back soon!
snow report
Hi lilywhite I've worked out the photos! I hope!

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p27267-first-day-of-season-20.html

I hope the works.
latest report
Well that didn't work ... Its just a link!!!
I don't know who that fella is ... I hope he's no my son in law!
I think I had better go off and have a practice in a very boring old thread.
snow report
Ok, I know the answer to this one.

Much as I don't like the brand, the North Face Himalayan Mitts are the mutt's nuts in this case. I kind of get mitts for free, but these I had to pay for and they are brilliant. Here's a UK link for them, although obviously don't buy them here unless you're stupidly rich, they're way cheaper anywhere else:

http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/himalayan-mitts.html
ski holidays
DrLawn, lol! Very Happy
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2074965&highlight=wet+mitts#2074965
snow conditions
Black Diamond Mercury mitts are almost too warm, I can only wear them on the coldest days and I get really cold fingers
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
Black Diamond Mercury mitts are almost too warm,

TOO WARM?!!! Razz
ski holidays
I have just ordered a pair of HESTRA Army leather Heli gloves, they have got to be warm. I am looking forward to trying them.
ski holidays
Great suggestions everyone, keep them coming. I must say, I'm definitely looking at mittens. I don't care if they aren't that functional as gloves; my fingers are useless with frostbite!

Hand warmers stuffed in gloves are something that saved my digits last season and I'll be packing them in advance this year.

I'll have a look into the battery heated options too.

A lot of people, again, recommend the Hestra Army Leather. The lobster claw also looks a good idea but i fear it'd lack the warmth factor of a mitten. I guess they must be good. Although i read on some forums/threads that people only use them on 'warm days'!

A brand that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned is Marmot. The Randonee / Big mountain / Expedition models all look like contenders. Has anybody tried these?
snow report
TK Maxx seem to have a lot of half decent looking mittens in stock this year for about £15 if you want to try some out without spending too much.
latest report
North Face (not in current production)

The Himalayan North Face Mitt looks very warm at over £100!

I wear liners under these

Shocked
ski holidays
RichTraff wrote:
...Fire away!

Okie Dokie,
Invoking Rule 5.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
RichTraff wrote:
...Fire away!

Okie Dokie,
Invoking Rule 5.

Hahahahha.

Quite right.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Damn you and your rules!
ski holidays
Damn you and your rules!

That's another thing about some mitts: I'm not into those big gauntlets! What they all about?! I'm after something that will tuck into my sleeve; not cover my elbows!
latest report
Hey, Roolz is Roolz.

For a man-sized solution, wash your poor little handies in ice cold water, or rub them with snow, then drying them off.
Alternatively, place your hands between the buttocks. It's natures pocket dontchaknow?

One of these pieces of advice is genuine, the other is not... Which is which? I'll never tell... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
i have the north face himalaya mitt. they are far too warm really and a bit pricey. They are only useful on the snowboard, if you try and hold poles with them they feel splurgy because of all the insulation.
snow report
Instead of north face himalaya mitts, try the TNF mountain guide mitts. Best mitts i have ever owned
snow report
Never thought about the ski pole situation. Damn. It's a good point.

Anyone got gloves/mittens that have primaloft insulation in?
snow conditions
lynseyf wrote:
Black Diamond Mercury mitts are almost too warm, I can only wear them on the coldest days and I get really cold fingers
I've been eyeing these out but no London stores stock them. From the YouTube vids, they look positively huge. Is that the case?

RichTraff wrote:
Anyone got gloves/mittens that have primaloft insulation in?
I have both (both Hestra Czone). I use the mitts for very cold and the gloves for cold. Have no problems gripping poles with them.
snow report
Ive watched the youtube video now, and those black diamond mercury mitts look ridiculously large!

The North Face Mountain guide Mitt sneaks in another recommendation. They seem to be a secret favourite. Perhaps a hidden gem! Well not that well hidden @ £100 in most shops, but still - they can be found for £85 online, as opposed to £120 for the Hestra Army Leather GTX.

Can anyone else vouch for The North Face Mountain Guide Mitt?
ski holidays
RichTraff, I can't vouch for the TNF mitts but can say that the Hestra Army Leather GTX mitts are not warm. Well, they're certainly nowhere near a warm as the Hestra Czone mitt, which is supposedly a resort mitt.
snow report
That's a bold claim - but it makes sense. The Czone Mitt uses Primaloft as insulation, whereas the Army Leather Mitt only uses 'Soft Fiberfill'.

Actually, I've just noticed it's only the women's version of the Czone Mitt that uses Primaloft; the men's only has Soft Fibrefill. This is same with the some of the Marmot gloves.

Why the hell is that?!
snow report
Because you're all supposed to man up Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I knew that answer was coming. I walked into that one!

But really, that must be the reason. Men are just supposed to hack the cold! Possibly so we can turn around to our partners and say 'you realise I have less insulation than you, yet my testosterone filled meaty fingers still don't feel the cold burn'
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy