Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with kids – the ‘wasted years’ OR The merits of slowness

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
valais2, my sister used to ride in Crans every summer. (I'm allergic to horses.) I have a vague memory, possibly incorrect, that the stables were at Plans-Mayens.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica, ...yes...plenty of riding still there. They turned the car park at Crans into a show-jumping arena (international standard) in August, which was a great thing, lovely to watch. Ricardo Andermatten also has a bog livery at Susten.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2 wrote:
Mr Piehole, ....you're absolutely right...I'd forgotten that...I also realised I was spending a lot more time switch...and recently, when I turn 180 to have a quick chat, my small one thinks that I'm doing it to suggest that he should too...leads to a rather amusing sequence of us turning circles for about 200m for no good reason....

Very Happy
Littleh_v1.0 was doing that very thing this weekend.
Since skiing with him I'm also much better at snowploughs having been completely useless at it when I was learning
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There were holidays during each stage of our youngsters childhood when we took time out of skiing to do other activities, thry loved swimming and riding, and ice skating etc. They remain very enthusiastic skiiers but I believe there were times when they would have been thouroughly put off if we had not recognised the signs and left the slopes for other activities
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2, Great post. The best times of our (me and the Mrs) lives have been skiing with the kids. My oldest is now 18 and last xmas we progressed to Austrian Apres. I know I am out of my depth skiing with them now but thought I would show them how apres was done.

How wrong I was; we walked back to the hotel, him with a gorgeous Danish ski instructor that he had "befriended" in the bar, me, 10 yards behind, stumbling while carrying my skis. I dropped a ski and then face planted as I tried to pick it up. They helped me up, he took my skis and said he would drop them at the hotel as they passed on their way to a club.

I felt sad, old and lonely as I made my way back to the hotel as I knew he was no longer that little lad under my wing. I also felt strangely content as well as being full of pride and happy memories. We didn't have the time or ability to give them lessons but skiing with them in their free time was, and still is, simple perfection.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, fantastic! Very Happy pmsl also...painted a great picture in my mind Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last season we didnt put our 10 year old in lessons for the first time; shes been skiing since the age of 3, so she's not exactly slow - but it did slow us down as I didnt want any accidents on my watch. It was actually a really pleasant change - she's also lovely company so it made for a great holiday. She will be going back to lessons though, but we only ever book in half days so we still get lots of time together.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, v. funny vignette.

My daughter skied 5 days at 3 years old and 20 days at 4 years old. Going to the wigwam for beer and a soft drink, point out the track to her, goes 20 yards down it stops and turns round to ski backwards. What ! Realised I spend a lot of time doing that with her and full of pride asked her if she wanted to that because Daddy did it. Answer 'No because Dominic (ski instructor) does it'. Deflated ego compensated by purchase of a cold one at the bar.

If she isn't better than me in 5 years I'll be very surprised. and that will intensify the debate in my house about who is the best skier or the minor placings as it will be by them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm really looking forward to taking our 2 skiing for the first time this winter (4 & 6). As the years have progressed, I've found myself slowing down and enjoying working more on my technique. Funnily enough, I've found the same when teaching my son (the 6 yr old) golf. As I tell him what he should be doing, it's made me think more about it and my golf has improved. Whoda thunk it?!

Last year was a prime example. There were 11 of us (guys between 35 and 45) who I'd joined on their annual trip for the first time. As it turns out, I was the best skier, and also the slowest. Well, down the blues anyway and a the easier reds, but as we moved onto steeper reds and blacks, hey presto, I'd be the one skiing the entire piste without stopping and then waiting for several minutes at the bottom as the rest made their way down.

It's all fine belting it down an easy run but by taking time to work on technique, I then make respective pace down everything steeper. My gentle advice, for example, about perhaps pole planting was dismissed by some, who then asked my how I could be so fast down the steeper stuff. This year, however, some have taken my suggestion that we get an instructor for a half-day or 2!

Don't get me wrong, I love carving a big empty red piste, but I probably get more satisfaction sking it neatly and fluidly.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I was the best skier, and also the slowest. Well, down the blues anyway and a the easier reds, but as we moved onto steeper reds and blacks, hey presto, I'd be the one skiing the entire piste without stopping and then waiting for several minutes at the bottom as the rest made their way down.

I've had that experience too - especially if skiing with someone a huge amount heavier than I. Not that I'm a great skier - just that some large blokes who go fast think they're something special! Nickski, I've noticed the instructors get even very littlies, and beginners, skiing backwards. they love it, and I guess it's very good for them, and nice to show off!

Quote:

I felt sad, old and lonely as I made my way back to the hotel as I knew he was no longer that little lad under my wing. I also felt strangely content as well as being full of pride and happy memories. We didn't have the time or ability to give them lessons but skiing with them in their free time was, and still is, simple perfection.

Been there, too. It's an amazing feeling. Kind of melancholy and satisfied. A nunc dimittis moment.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It's an amazing feeling. Kind of melancholy and satisfied. A nunc dimittis moment.

Aw. That brought a little tear to my eye.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Valais 2 - great post, I really enjoyed reading it. I've often said to friends who ski their with children 'where do you find the patience?' But you've made me realise there's far more to it than that...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy