Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

YES, YES, YES!! Sliding this winter!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With the arrival of the mini-weevil earlier this year, we weren't able to get away skiing this year and I had feared that the squeeze on finances that came with the Boss's maternity leave would mean that 2013 was going to be a sliding-free year too.

However, with a bit of cunning scrimping and saving (who needs food?) we've managed to afford to tag along on a family trip to Champagny-en-Vanoise in the first week of January Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Of course, this has the added bonus of having grandparents along so we have babysitting on tap Very Happy

None of my friends are big skiers so don't quite 'get' my excitement, ditto my co-workers, so I needed to vent my happiness, excitement and all round Very Happy and who better than a forum full of other snow-addicts?

Yes, yes, yes, I know it's not going to be the ski trips of old, and there's going to be a few morning/afternoon/days of skiing missed on account of being on spawn patrol, but just being in the mountains and being able to introduce the little one to snow at the tender age of 10 months (by then) will more than make up for it.

Let the obsessive webcam watching begin Very Happy

Thank you for your patience.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
High five pal!

We were in the same position a few years ago when the financial crisis hit and we scraped the barrel and ended up in Borovets. Not the best of skiing but one of the best "holidays" we've had mainly because we weren't expecting to go and we met a load of good people out there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EvilWeevil, many congratulations (not on the arrival of Mini-weevil you understand, but on the imminent sliding holiday).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
EvilWeevil, that sounds great! Two of my grand-daughters have now done holidays with the family at that age. They enjoyed it. Lots of attention on tap. they both enjoyed toboganning - gently! We will have another this Christmas - who'll be 9 months old - and we are hoping she will enjoy toboganning as much as her big sister did. Big sister will be 2 years and 10 months, probably too young for skiing, but we hope she might have a go at Easter, when she'll be 3, the days will be longer and warmer and there are cousins around to share the experience with. My daughter and son in law are giving up food for skiing too! and the only possible way they could afford a ski holiday would be to get free accommodation and food and chauffeuse driven transfers from Geneva airport. Just the airfares and the ski passes more or less break the bank. I will do most of the child-care. Holidays with the likes of Esprit are completely out of the question.

It gives me enormous pleasure to enable them to get these otherwise-impossible holidays - skiing grandparents are a very definite advantage.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EvilWeevil, Well done! Champagny is nice and I'm sure you will have a great time with your little one! Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

pam w, we're really lucky that my folks had booked an apartment and just happened to mention in passing that they had a spare room going so we've taken the plunge. The likes of Esprit really are out of our league, and we know how lucky we are to have skiing grandparents prepared to share their time/space/food so that we can get out into the mountains.

We're going to try and pick up a cheap toboggan some point soon so mini-weevil gets a chance to do a bit of sliding of her own, but I guess we'll have to keep it gentle.... No black run sledging. Yet Twisted Evil

homers double, the trips you don't think are going to happen then suddenly do can be the best can't they Very Happy

Sooooooooooooooo excited! Can you tell?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We're going to try and pick up a cheap toboggan some point soon

for that age you need one with a back rest and a little safety belt. You can hire rather swish ones in-resort, and they're useful instead of a buggy for getting round if the streets are snowy (as you hope they will be). The baby ones are only of use for a short time, so it might be best to hire. I have acquired two, at the apartment, because they were left beside the rubbish bins by people whose kids had obviously grown out of them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w,
Quote:
getting round if the streets are snowy (as you hope they will be).

Hopefully the streets will be cleared of snow as usual, they are pretty efficient in Champagny wink

EvilWeevil We visited Champagny when our children were very small and enjoyed it so much we ended up buying a place there.
There is a nice cafe with fantastic views across to Courchevel at the top of the gondola, there is also a picnic hut with outdoor terrace right opposite it. They are great places to meet up with the baby if you are taking it in turns to go skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skichampcouk, thanks for the suggestion. We know Champagny quite well as it's a family favourite. We're staying at the Club Alpina apartments so not too far to get to the gondola!

Quick question for you: roughly how much is the gondola for a non-skier? As I'm likely to be on spawn patrol at least a couple of times during the week, I can't think of a better place for a late-morning cafe noir than said cafe!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
EvilWeevil, I think it is 8 euros return.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
EvilWeevil, Well done, I can certainly understand your excitement, I managed to persuade my better half to go skiing when our son was 9 months old in 2005, main advice I would give is make sure you get good all in one suit for mini weevil, fleece hat, gloves and sun glasses to protect them when out side, might sound obvious bit its very important.
We went to L2A and our son suffered with the altitude - 1600m particularly at night, he did,nt sleep well at all which was out of character, you should be OK at 1250m, but be careful and dont take the little one too high up, I think no more than 2000m is the recommendation for their first year, if you look on line you will find more details. FYI our son has been away every year since, we dont have the luxury of grand parents that can come with us, so we have to use T/O with kids care available, he skis 6 half days in ski school and the afternoons either in the kids club or on the slopes with us showing us how to do bunny hops and ski backwards Little Angel Once they are old enough to ski, go later in the season when its warmer and hopefully sunnier for them, to make sure they enjoy it and become hooked as you and I are, to make sure you can keep getting on the slopes each year Very Happy Very Happy We are going to Plagne centre for the first time in Feb Very Happy Enjoy your time
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EvilWeevil, congrats dude, in same boat as you and cannot wait to get him on the slopes. While awaiting his arrival I genuinely looked forward to having a permanent ski buddy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . We'll see what he makes of it I suppose...

Also miniweevil is a great name
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EvilWeevil, Just checked last years price list and it was 6 euros 50 return for the Champagny gondola, it was 8 euros for the gondola up to Roche du Mio from Belle Plagne.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy