Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bloody Big Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Is this maths wonky?..

Did you know that a 2cm thick helmet increases the volume of the average head by 72%? I assumed an average adult head radius of 10cm (a total unscientific guess) but, of course, on a child the increase in volume will be far greater - over 150%.

Volume = 4/3 x Pi x the radius cubed - that assumes a sphere but you get the drift.

A helmeted head is a much much bigger target... hmmm...

A helmeted head with a GoPro, meanwhile... Idiot Factor = gap between waistband and underpants x number of body piercings squared x average speed of one handed texting divided by student loan balance, expressed in F*ckwit Units.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you're talking about size of target, you want surface area rather than volume...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sure, but probability of collision won't be proportional to volume.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is this maths wonky?..

yes. The top line of your equation is spot on but it ought to be divided by the inverse of the student loan balance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, OK, so using 4 x Pi x radius squared (less a discount for the neck area) I reckon an adult surface area is about 40% bigger and a child's is about 90% bigger. Still a lot bigger target then.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, I don't think surface area is right either. In many scenarios it's going to make almost no difference at all - if you're colliding with a static object then you're moving towards it, so chances are not having a helmet will just slightly delay impact.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ask him for a copper GoPro, Swiller
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
finestgreen, with a head-on into a static object you are toast anyway so this really comes into play for the more common glancing blow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Did you know that a 2cm thick helmet increases the volume of the average head by 72%?

So if you want to increase the amount of average head you get by 72% you need a 2cm thick helmet ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hsdee,

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
finestgreen wrote:
if you're colliding with a static object...
and, by the way, if it isn't moving what are you doing colliding with it?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The closest thing to what you're looking for is probably the cross sectional area, then. But any simplification like this is of course going to be hugely misleading.

I think the possible addition of rotation is much more worrying than increased target size, anyway
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
finestgreen wrote:
The closest thing to what you're looking for is probably the cross sectional area, then. But any simplification like this is of course going to be hugely misleading.

this sounds right to me

whatever, seems a bit of a leap to say that your helmeted head is X% bigger therefore you are X% more likely to bang your head. and even if that is true you aren't really very likely to bang your head in the first place. if you double almost zero, you are still left with almost zero
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
finestgreen wrote:
But any simplification like this is of course going to be hugely misleading.
excellent
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, I haven't said at any stage that you are X% more likely to bang your head, I merely said

Quote:
hmmm...

However, it must mean that a very near miss without a helmet, might turn into an impact with a helmet and especially so if the thing you are near-missing with is also wearing a helmet. Actually, just boycot France.
ski holidays
If you catch an edge resulting in a nasty bit of whipping your head at the ground the X% biggerness (yes its a real word) of the helmeted head wont make a bit of difference as we all know there is no way to stop the inevitable back of head hitting the deck.

Bode Swiller wrote:

Actually, just boycot France.

Yeah, darn right
wink
snow report
Yeah, I see where this is going. More mass, more weight = more impact force. So you're much safer wearing a helmet, and now you have the confidence to go even faster, and you can cause much more damage into the bargain. It's like having bull bars on your 4x4! In fact with a gopro it's like having a sledge hammer attached to your bull bars. Lets open the helmet debate again...
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Arno, I haven't said at any stage that you are X% more likely to bang your head, I merely said

Quote:
hmmm...

However, it must mean that a very near miss without a helmet, might turn into an impact with a helmet and especially so if the thing you are near-missing with is also wearing a helmet. Actually, just boycot France.

I never banged my head on chairlift bars until I started wearing a helmet
ski holidays
jellylegs wrote:
In fact with a gopro it's like having a sledge hammer attached to your bull bars.

Not really, this is a representation of what happens when two Helmeted GoPro-ers collide:

snow report
Unfortunately I can't find a SFW picture of what happens when to drift or contour wearing skiers collide, but I'm sure you get the idea!! Very Happy
snow report
Arno wrote:

I never banged my head on chairlift bars until I started wearing a helmet

Yup, me neither. Though I can see the potential benefit of wearing a helmet in a bar for aesthetic and safety reasons.
snow conditions
I think I have the answer to all this. I give you the Comedy Goldfish helmet:

http://youtube.com/v/0tLZdAU1kM8&feature=player_embedded#at=14
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
I think I have the answer to all this. I give you the Comedy Goldfish helmet:

Is he no longer threatening the slopes then...? Toofy Grin (well those not in Norf London, at any rate).
snow report
Finally you've found me a helmet I'm willing to wear!

On me bike.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy