Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When locals get bored of no lift service

Poster: A snowHead
Chamonix - Aiguille du Midi - Voie Mallory from snowhow
http://vimeo.com/54055445
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fair play.

Lovely shadows of the Aiguille on town.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love watching it but it sh*ts me up which is why I'll never be a steeps monster. That and skill and a thousand other deficiencies.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So how does that sort of escapade (and is that climb really worth it?) stack up against something like the avalanche thread running at the moment. How will the group in this video have determined that what they were about to do would not put them in the firing line for an avalanche any more than the group on the avalanche thread?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob wrote:
Love watching it but it sh*ts me up which is why I'll never be a steeps monster. That and skill and a thousand other deficiencies.
\

I could do the steep no problems, it's the certain death bit as I hit a massive boulder that scares me. Mind you, skiing with ice axes in my hands I'd take and eye or two out before I'd even made a turn Laughing

Really puts into perspective how tame my snowboarding is when I go on holiday Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bloody cheapskates - just to avoid the price of a lift ticket Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeah watching that makes me a bit nervous, the climb up looks pretty scary as well. I find that hugely impressive but have no desire to ski anything that steep, the jump turns don't look that much fun either but I guess it is a different type of enjoyment, just not one I really get.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Idris, nice video.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, +1
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Traying with axes is cheating.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold,

For once I'm with you. If you want poking sticks get yourself some skis.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Idris, is there something you've forgotten to mention Wink

http://www.idriskis.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eh...... So some local peeps skied Mallory already this season !?
Current thought process is a combination of wow, seriously wtf and respect...

Is it becoming normal in Chamonix to go after the uber-steeps in the autumn now?
Instead of the classic window in late spring?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Climbing it first will have given some indication, and there'll still be a forecast for avvy risk for the area, if not a full assessment made on each particular slope - at the minimum there will be a published risk score for all aspects (north facing, south facing etc). After that you're on your own to mitigate best you can - early/low temp start etc. Just by looking at vid though, risk didnt obviously appear high (old snow, looks pretty consolidated etc.) - not a safety guarantee by any means, but it does look like they've been sensible.

all that said - HEEBEE JEEBEES in places for sure Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The up looked Be Nice please! terrifying...
snow report
That is steep... VERY steep... Think they deserved their picnic at the end! Smile
latest report
humm Megamum, not a helmet to be seen

but they all had massive balls.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Idris, is there something you've forgotten to mention Wink

http://www.idriskis.com/

The clue may be in his signature wink
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Eh...... So some local peeps skied Mallory already this season !?

Is it becoming normal in Chamonix to go after the uber-steeps in the autumn now?

according to Facebook, a first descent went down on the Chardonnet in the last couple of days. mind boggling but I guess when the conditions are in you go for it
ski holidays
barry, Megamum, On an avalanche note then if you watch carefully there was an avi, nasty little one by the look of it as it was very fast freeze at 2.34 and you will see it, not sure if they triggered it or was a natural avalanche
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Eh...... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/So some local peeps skied Mallory already this season !?

according to Facebook, a first descent went down on the Chardonnet in the last couple of days. mind boggling but I guess when the conditions are in you go for it

Link here
Rumors from Frenchies in the comments that its not a first - but who cares when its that rowdy....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=493089687390479&set=a.150976831601768.31264.149892381710213&type=1&ref=nf

Have been a few autumnal firsts in the alps. Snow only sticks properly to the steeper ice and rock when it's milder - which usually means late Spring, but also a window of opportunity in the Autumn.

The idea of people skiing such lines this early in the season is mind blowing . FWIW Andreas Franson also skied Mallory before xmas couple of years ago.

That is Chamonix for you I guess .....!? Shocked Puzzled
ski holidays
ed123 wrote:
humm Megamum, not a helmet to be seen

but they all had massive balls.

You would have to land very awkwardly for those to offer any head protection though.

*thinks* ...Buster Gonad on skis.... Ooh me plums etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy