Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing damaged edge

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning guys,

Does anyone have any experience with edge replacing?

My friend has a 3mm gap in the edge of his ski... (presumably hitting a rock of some sort)

Anyway, He's not sure if this is worth the cost of replacement (if it is expensive or now) Or if he could just leave it?

Any help/ experience shared would be great.

Thanks,

Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Age of skis, level of damage etc dependent. Edge repairs usually involve cutting a lot bigger than 3mm out and patching base etc with no guarantee it will hold if you impact the same point again (quite likely if underfoot). If the base isn't badly damaged with it I'd be tempted to glop some epoxy in the gap to seal things and sand it down but then I've no problem with the McGuyver approach to ski tech.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, Thanks- I'll pass on the message.

The ski's wouldnt be used on rails or anything like that, so It wouldnt get worse?

So it wouldnt effect the ski when carving etc overly?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BlueBird13, Depends,

Is there any damage to the Edge itself?

How deep is the damage etc.

But a patch will not have any real impact on day to day performance if done properly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All is revealed here:

http://www.telemarktips.com/BaseRepair.html
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
and here
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chuck them away if the edge is broken with a gap and the skis are not fantastic, the repair as shown I have tried in the old days; the ski is never the same again for feel if underfoot and should always be skied as the outside edge in my HO. Or drop it off a chair lift in deep snow in unskiable terrain and claim for lost ski on insurance. Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kinda agree with Cynic - if the ding is under foot then I would not waste money on repairing. I had to finally dump a pair of skis with a 1cm edge break that simply would not stay fixed even after a final 7cm edge replacement. The correct method is to strip out the base and remove the edge until you have at least 1cm undangaed /attached strip each side of the gap then super glue in new edge strip, bond back in new base material gluing it down under pressure over the new edge piece then re-base, edge, wax and away (really clean everything thouroghly at each stage). BUT that all costs a wack if you are not doing it yourself.

If you are going with fatbob's bodge then you really need to ensure the base is fixed first and you don't leave epoxy on the surface of the base - that would be bad. Never tried this method but it seems to me that it would effect your edge hold a bit - there's a reason that we keep sharpening the bits of metal attached to our planks ...... That said, if you are going more off piste it might not make such a difference.

Good luck!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy