Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just How Obsessed by Skiing (or Snowsports) Are You?

Poster: A snowHead
Chasseur, I want to continue skiing for as long as I'm able to walk. Because I too was a slightly late starter and have never reached the level of doing steeps, deeps and other deeds of derring-do, I won't miss them and will still enjoy skiing as gently as I need to. That's my theory, anyway.

Whilst I'm not nearly as obsessed as most of the posters on this thread - the only online skiing activity I engage in is snowHeads, don't look at webcams, am not much of a gear whore - I do take regular lessons all year round at Hemel and have so far booked three ski trips this season! And, although there are loads of places in the world I'd like to see, I seem to keep booking ski trips instead. So I suppose I'm a bit obsessed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The carpet is shot anyway...what is the ideal flooring for a ski room?

We have carpet with a corner Plate for the Ski Boots and drying.

All the Skis are on their own ski rack Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a wardrobe just for ski clothes. I suppose that means I could have an obsession just with ski clothes, not with skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar,
Quote:

I have a wardrobe just for ski clothes.
This does not surprise me. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, you're a 'gear whore' to borrow [b]Pedantica's[b] expression. Or a gear slut at least
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wasn't really interested in skiing - I didn't want to take up something I could only do for couple weeks a year, had to plan etc., but I got talked into going for Christmas/New Year to a ski resort. I spent most of that holiday just hanging out but towards the end of it I took couple lessons. Over the following summer I changed jobs and moved to Switzerland. I ski every weekend once the season starts and it's non-negotiable, everything else has to wait till May unless it's really a matter of life and death or can be done on a week-day. I also try to take at least 3 weeks off each winter to spend more time in resort. I am not much of a webcam person and I don't check snow reports often, but I do check and research gear usually with a practical reason.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
I have a wardrobe just for ski clothes. I suppose that means I could have an obsession just with ski clothes, not with skiing.

Nearly 28,000 posts give lie to that wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't say I'm obsessed, just have a healthy interest. I have other thnigs during the summer to distract me but I still watch ski films whilst doing the ironing.

Winter is a bit different I suppose but how do some people afford to get away so much? I know the average age of this forum is larger than mine so perhaps you're enjoying some well earnt luxuries but I don't have the time, neber mind the money to get out that much.

That said I have zero debt so thats a good thing I suppose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
rob@rar, you're a 'gear whore' to borrow Pedantica's expression. Or a gear slut at least
Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I want to continue skiing for as long as I'm able to walk. Because I too was a slightly late starter and have never reached the level of doing steeps, deeps and other deeds of derring-do, I won't miss them and will still enjoy skiing as gently as I need to. That's my theory, anyway.

Whilst I'm not nearly as obsessed as most of the posters on this thread - the only online skiing activity I engage in is snowHeads, don't look at webcams, am not much of a gear whore - I do take regular lessons all year round at Hemel and have so far booked three ski trips this season! And, although there are loads of places in the world I'd like to see, I seem to keep booking ski trips instead. So I suppose I'm a bit obsessed.

that just about sums me up,too, except I'm too far away to do regular lessons at Hemel. I have spent the bulk of the last ten winters in the Alps, almost entirely skiing one small (185 km) area and am not yet bored with it, or with skiing. I am somewhat addicted to snowheads but no other internet fora, never bother with Facebook, wouldn't know where to start with Twitter, rarely with webcams. Not a gear whore; the skis on which I spend most time were bought 3 years ago for £100 in a car park in Bournemouth, from a Snowhead, jacket (Filarinskis sale) now on its 3rd year. My £10 ex-hire salopettes did 4 seasons. I labour under no delusions that spending money on gear would make me a better skier. Doing 2 extra trips this year - On2Off with Charlotte Swift in Les Deux Alpes and the Birthday Bash in Arabba.

Starting on cross-country skiing, done a bit of snowboarding (rubbish at both).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. Finally I feel that I may be normal
I once saw a TV prog where an expert explained that, strictly speaking, there is nothing that can be defined as 'normal.' For instance, it showed you someone who was obsessed by body piercing/disfugurement, branding etc. They had large plastic beads inserted under the skin on their arms (looking like something from Dr Who) but considered that to be perfectly 'normal'. So it's all about an individual's perception.

In other words, all of us obsessive Snowheads are normal. Yippee!! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
[quote="Chasseur"]
rob@rar wrote:

27,500 are about how cool Apple shizzle is.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gave up jobs. Sold up and moved to a building site sans elecrticity.

Gave up doing/buying non essential (the old fashioned use of the word essential wink ) stuff - including ski kit. Nothing but nothing gets replaced unless its broke and unrepairable. And if its really, really needed.

Gave up expensive food, grow our own veg and otherwise spend no more than €40 a week on groceries - and make savings for something nice at Christmas. Thank goodness the 94c a litre wine is not too awful... If fuel carries on going up the housekeeping budget will have to be cut so we can still go ski 2-3 times a week. If it ever snows down here.

Obsessed? This is normal...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

27,500 are about how cool Apple shizzle is.

LMAO Laughing
snow report
Stella, respect. Hope you get plenty of snow. snowHead
snow conditions
musher,

Blimey.... but hey, if there is snow involved!

Another one to add that I've just remembered - looking up plans for homemade snow cannons and wondering whose arm I can twist with an appropriate location to set it up (and of course desperately hoping for the conditions).
ski holidays
Good to know I am not alone.......is there a help organisation....like 'Skiers Anonymous'.............Maybe skiing could be a new religion......'forgive me for I have sinned, it has been 7 weeks since I last skied'
snow conditions
Arctic Fox, It could never be a religion as we believe in something that exists.
ski holidays
Wow. I thought I was obsessed until I read this thread. I now feel less guilty now thinking about skiing, looking for ski holiday deals and viewing webcams everyday. Thank you.
snow report
I was driving home from tesco this morning in the pouring rain thinking - if only it was 5 degrees colder.......

4 weeks til Verbier
7 weeks til Les Gets
15 weeks til Soll
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Are you seriously trying to tell me there are people who don't behave like this????

Get away with ya!
snow report
I started skiing last year. My other half bought me a day lesson at Chill Factore - a decision she is beginning to rue!

Suffice to say I got hooked and went back to do all their lessons and then booked - an unplanned - trip to The Alps. After spending a week on the mountain my obsession gained momentum and I spent a significant portion of the year either in the fridge, on ski websites, watching ski videos on YouTube, reading technique manuals and buying ski gear. This year I have two ski trips booked and hoping to make the ESB too. I'm already planning a full season in 2014 and thinking about changing jobs so I can ski more.

My partner is hoping my obsession subsides, but it shows no signs of abating just yet. The thing I really love about skiing is that it has been enjoyable at every level, from ploughing to parallel to carving, short turns, steeps and moguls - there is always something to learn and get better at and I'm sure the best is yet to come. It satisfies my love of the outdoors, mixing incredible scenery with exhilaration, excercise, great food & wine and good people. The only downside is I'm by no means a rich man and it isn't cheap.

So in summary, I've become fairly obsessed but after reading some of the previous posts, I've got a long way to come snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy