Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen Tips

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Fellow Snowheads,

I have always skied in France and now i have booked to ski in Mayrhofen from 12 Jan 2013. I have already picked up some tips from previous posts but wanted to know if anybody could answer the following:

Staying at Hotel Kristall - If skiing mayrhofen what would be the best way to get up and down the mountain - ski bus to penken lift?
Whats the best way to get to the Hintertux Glacier and how long?
Whats the best way to get to Hochfugen - train or bus and how long?
best way to Zem an ziller andhow long?
best way to gerlos and how long?
best way to Kaltenbach and how long?

All of the above have been recommended - can you enjoy the apres ski in each of these areas or do you need to get the ski bus back to mayrhofen?Are the last ski buses back to mayrhofen late?

Recommendations for bars in any locations listed above.

Can you do night toboganning from mayrhofen - if so how much and how do you get there?

Can you do the arena Coaster (karts down the mountain) or is this not open during winter?

I believe there are a number of ski routes that you can follow - are these all in mayrhofen or in different areas - where do i get the routes from?

Any areas/piste runs that are a must to see ? i believe ice bar and harikiri run is worth a visit.

Any other tips that you think i should know?

Thanks

Duncan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. take the bus to penken it stops by your front door, though if its busy just go to Horberg, can get up and down without ever having to queue and would probably take less bus time for you.

2. glacier, if you don't have a car is the green line bus from the station, just behind your hotel.

3. Hochfugen, train no question (actually starting to realise the kristall at the bottom of town is a great location for public transport)

4, 5, 6 all the same, train then bus, though i wouldn't bother with Gerlos. between Zell, Kaltenbach and mayrhofen and all the ski connected resorts you will have FAR more than enough kms of skiing.

ski buses back do NOT run late, and mayrhofen has the best drinking scene so may as well head back there.

Best bar in the valley is Scotland Yard in Mayrhofen, get there early (8ish) to get a seat or it will suck

No taboganning from MHF, need to take a taxi, with a group its about 20 euros each, Gerlosstein is probably the biggest though there are loads around. have a look online and book a table at the restaurant up top.

coaster is not open in the winter

ski routes? like touring or around the pistes? if its the latter its on the back of the piste maps

Ahorn abfahrt if the snow if good, at speed it may be my favourite run in the world

Tip! don't go to the gondola during rush hour, you will stand for hours, if it's full go to Horbergbahn.

deep breath - Done
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
duncanvale, To answer your questions:
1. I'm not sure where the Hotel Kristall is, but there are frequent ski bus services around the town that go to the Penken lift
2. Busses to the Hintertux glacier go from the Mayrhofen train station at the lower end of town. Info on the bus service here, from the timetables you'll see it takes about 45mins.
3. Best way to Hochfugen is to go to Kaltenbach (skibus or train, but train is my preference), the slopes of Kaltenbach are linked with Hochfugen. see answer 6.
4. To Zell I would again say take the train. From Zell station a skibus service takes you the mile or so to the Zell gondola station.
5. From the Zell slopes you can ski down to Gerlos, but if you want to get there more quickly you could take a bus from Zell.
6. Zillertalbahn train (free with your liftpass) to Kaltenbach/Stumm station. The gondola base station is just a few hundred yards from the train station. Zillertalbahn timetable. You'll see from Mayrhofen to Kaltenbach is 25 mins (and is only 12 mins to Zell).
In Kaltenbach the apres -ski at the Postalm which is right at the bottom of the Stephan Eberharter Goldpiste run back to the gondola basestation is very popular. The timetable shows that the last train back to Mayrhofen departs Kaltenbach at 20:14, so you've certainly time for a drink or two! wink
7. I don't know personally about night time tobogganing, but I believe the only such location in the Zillertal will be the toboggan run at Gerlosstein, which I have seen in the daytime and which looks to be quite good.
8. The Arena Coaster does operate in Winter also (at least at certain times - best to check locally).
9. I don't know about ski routes - obviously if you are intending going off piste the usual safety precautions apply/ possibly hire a local guide?
That's all I can think of for now.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Kristall (not a bad choice - assuming its the Krystall Alpen? If so, that's where I stayed) is at the lower end of the town. A 10 minute walk to the Penken lift and about 5 minutes to the train/bus station.

Regular buses stop almost outside the hotel and they run into the centre for the Penken lift.

My trip report contains some info on entertainment and access to other Ziller Valley areas.

Otherwise, all the above info is excellent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everybody for your informative and speedy responses.
Now all i need between now and January is constant snow fall Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if staying in the kristal i would get the bus to the horberg lift . about the same time as getting to the penken and no queues. the yeti bar at the bottom of the lift is good too . or you could get the penken down. normally a bit of a queue but it moves pretty quick and plenty of apre bars when down. for us we normally go up the ahorn on the first morning and then drop down for lunch . then up the penken lift . zell and kaltenback , use the train . then a bus for zell and a short walk at kaltenback. train to zell is 15-20 mins then 5 mins on the bus. kaltenback is 25 mins . kaltenback you can ski/board all the way down and it`s a great run , if a bit busy. zell you can get part way down , but have to use the bottom gondala . for bars in mayrhofen , scotland yard , mo`s , strass sports bar , aprapos(last time it was $2 a beer until 10.30 ) Very Happy . plus a few quieter bars like winn winn and picadilly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is also the Bruck n Stadl for apres, altho it has lost its insane atmosphere since it grew somewhat. The Hexen Kessl in Tux is a great wee apres bar, if you ski down to the bottom of Eggalm. And beers in the Hohenhaus Tenne at Hintertux are compulsory.

On the hill pizza at the Grillhaus Alm, schnitzel at the Schneekar Hutte (or the mountain platter of ham, cheese and schnapps) and ribs or Tiroler Grostl at Vogelsnest.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy