Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things that make you look like a punter....

Poster: A snowHead
[quote="scrubyjoe"]The title of this thread confuses things in my opinion. I interpret it as getting enjoyment from seeing the skiing faux pas around resorts not this egotistical one-up-man-ship back and forth.

Some faux pas (by the "punters") from my experience:

9. Getting the cheap accommodation 300 yards walk from the lifts.

Scruby,
Am I missing something here! Location is always a key issue for me when choosing accommodation. The nearer the lifts/piste the better. And also the cheaper the better (within reason).
Don't personally enjoy getting buses to the lifts/ walking 15 mins etc. every day.

Sorry if I have missed the point of your faux pas suggestion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Arriving at a resort in head-to-toe Aldi/Lidl ski gear

I'll raise you "worrying whether you are wearing the "right" labels".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nickski wrote:
Punters earn a living AKA have jobs that pay money. This enables them to go skiing, whilst owning a house and optionally having kids, careers, friends all year round etc.

People in resort who refer to 'punters' in the derogatory form are kids with a form of inverted snobbery. They own nothing of note, probably never will and have put off growing up. They cling on to the inverted snobbery to make themselves feel better about their 'life experience'.

There is a smart layer who are confident and hard working enough to do a year or two after College/Uni. and move on. And if they are your chalet host, they are gold dust.

Being smug/condescending about your 'real job' wink

Generally the people who seriously look down on tourists are first time seasonnaires, the same sort who 'live' there (had a couple from St Anton come into the shop I work in yesterday).

The fact is, unless you're Candide Thovex, there's always someone out there who'll make your skiing look like a punter's. The people who were born and raised in resort can look down on and out-ski everyone. I'm humbled most times I ski at my nearest hill.

In the meantime, this thread is pretty entertaining, so relax.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 17-03-13 11:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick D wrote:
davidof,

Drinking pints with lunch

What the hell are you supposed to drink? As in my town drinking 6 halves instead of 3 pints will get you a punch in the face! Are pints allowed with Jeager bombs in? Plus I drink the pints outside as much as possible Laughing

Id say drinking white wine with lunch makes you a punter NehNeh Or ordering salad.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic wrote:
Wearing a super expensive helmet or just a helmet in non rocky terrain.
Wearing goggles when it's not snowing.
Not thinking that is all over bar the shouting for the new F1 season with Vettel winning by a country mile.
Cheap walkie talky
Oakley
Apple
Working out your share of the bill at a group meal.
Where can I buy cheap beer.

Ok Cynic, I have to pick this one out....

Firstly, goggle when not snowing?? Wasnt wearing sunglasses a punter thing too? (and if your answer is only with a helmet, and helmets should only be worn while skiing rocky terrain or doing 54 spins upsidedown off a kicker, that you are insane. Other skiers can give you a pretty good head injury, so I just dont get that.) So if no goggles and no sunglasses?? How are your eyes on a sunny day?

Good call on F1, Kimi disagrees, and if Kimi disagrees with you, you are a punter NehNeh

So you bought an expensive walkie talkie??

Oakley is, and will always be cool, for those that can afford it. Stop buying cheap crap sunglasses as Oakley lenses are very good (in their sunnies anyway).

Apple - see above and stop buying samsung because you want to be different. Unless you were talking fruit, in which case, yes, a banana is better anti punter food.

Or paying the whole bill?

All beer is cheap in Europe. I think punters do the opposite and dont care about the price of beer. Im a punter and I think beer is really cheap in Morzine!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dennisp, I am not sure this is a serious thread.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the ultimate punter is becoming outraged at thread on the internet. I'm expecting PC World to have a sudden glut of water damage repairs to keyboards in the next week or so.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
extremerob wrote:
when you can't pronounce the names of the ski lifts

incorrect...

as we found out in the PDSNTW thread, using the correct lift names at any time makes you a tourist (Im boycotting punter).

As for things that make me a tourist (and I am happy to be considered one, even when we get this chalet bought and I can lose the noose). Im easy to spot, so please feel free to say hello to me..on the chairlift if you like!

Oakley goggles; white
Oakley shades; white
Burton custom board - im a novice.
Burton UnInc board for indoor and park - im a novice, and the board has a kitten on it too.
Burton everything else you care to mention, including luggage.
A suitcase - burton - which is too big to check into main hold on anything but an international flight.
I always rent a really nice car, which skiers hit with their poles through Morzine when I try to run them over for walking strangely.
We rented a chalet for 10 people - there were 2 of us.
I bought a ski chalet in a resort I had never been to before looking for a week.
We didnt rent right in the middle of town, as we prefer to get a good sleep and have aforementioned car in same condition next morning.
I drink beer at 10am on the slopes; because I can.
I always eat lunch in the sunshine, with my beer.
I pretend to try to speak french, as think Im good entertainment for the wait staff.
I ask for translations from the waitress.
I thank everyone who serves me.
I stick to blues and reds because I like looking at the view while boarding, rather than whats about to kill me - plus im a novice.
I dont have facial hair that shows I am yet to go through puberty
I actually order my wine by the grape, rather than the color
I can afford to eat where I like, and drink the aforementioned beer
I dont think being sick out my nose is cool
I dont have a go pro on a pole - Im a novice, and everyone will only watch in the hope to see some of my bones outside my body.
I have the kids Burton stash in Avoriaz on my wish list
I pull out the ski map at every intersection to see where to go (I do this on the roads too so that may not be tourism).
I count a successful days riding by lifts ridden rather than pistes ridden
I 'bunch of five' my wife for successfully not killing herself whilst doing the easiest blue on the mountain.

I enjoy my snowboarding with the biggest smile on my face.

Disclaimer: I feel no way more against or for anyone on the mountain, other than I like nice people, and I hate douchebags. I dont care if you are a tourist, farmer or seasonaire or instructor. Please dont take offence at the above, it was merely me calling me a tourist. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andersont wrote:
I think the ultimate punter is becoming outraged at thread on the internet. I'm expecting PC World to have a sudden glut of water damage repairs to keyboards in the next week or so.

who is outraged? I think this is pretty funny from start to finish if everyone just remembers its just the internet!! lol
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

They own nothing of note, probably never will and have put off growing up.

We win. Laughing

What's so great about owning a load of tat and doing the same thing all year round for years on end?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dennisp wrote:

I always rent a really nice car, which skiers hit with their poles through Morzine when I try to run them over for walking strangely.

This made me laugh Laughing . (And I'm a skier)
It's Mrs Shep's pet hate (she's a boarder Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
speaking of cars,

tihngs that make you look like a punter -

showing up in your ferrari with road tyres and scraping the car next to you as you don't know how to drive on snow (verbier)

worse so doing the same thing in a range:p
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
extremerob, Saw the same last Tuesday in Verbier with some snow bunny driving a Porsche.....sheesh.... such a practical car (maybe a wee bit of envy, but my wonderful, if old, Subaru gets me everywhere....literally)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andersont wrote:

I'm waiting for Peanutski.eu to run a snooze article on it: Britains Leading Ski Chatline Slams Punter Skiers

then David Goldsmith can run another thread about whatever Peanutski has posted today here and so we'll go around the Mulberry bush.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kel wrote:

What has F1 got to do punters in a ski resort Puzzled and you don't think Alonso has a chance this time Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Alonso - Kimi is faster than you.....sorry mate"
snow conditions
If I own an apartment in a ski resort and pay taxes and generally have a right to a say in the community including how the place is run, etc. doesn't that make me less of a tourist/punter than a seasonaire or some renter for the season? You know, I believe it does.... which would make all you snide seasonal workers just .... well punters/tourists really, regardless of anything else, since you are tied to the mountains about as much as a first time, weekend skier.
ski holidays
The Duke wrote:
scrubyjoe wrote:
The title of this thread confuses things in my opinion. I interpret it as getting enjoyment from seeing the skiing faux pas around resorts not this egotistical one-up-man-ship back and forth.

Some faux pas (by the "punters") from my experience:

9. Getting the cheap accommodation 300 yards walk from the lifts.

Scruby,
Am I missing something here! Location is always a key issue for me when choosing accommodation. The nearer the lifts/piste the better. And also the cheaper the better (within reason).
Don't personally enjoy getting buses to the lifts/ walking 15 mins etc. every day.

Sorry if I have missed the point of your faux pas suggestion.

We usually try get accom in the ski in ski out locations, so the time we ended up with a walk and then a teacup gondela ride to the lifts was seen as being amaturish for us!
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat, you see being tied down as a good thing? Puzzled
latest report
davidof wrote:
1. Using tech bindings inbounds
8. boot fitting
13. having brakes on tech bindings
15. owning an arcteryx jacket

4 out of 15 ain't bad. Cool
ski holidays
Buying a lift pass when everyone else in the know sur the resort steals ESF uniforms off washing lines.
ski holidays
Lizzard, ever heard of exchange programmes?? I'm going to either Guadaloupe or Martinique this summer Aug/Sept on an exchange for weeks at my ski place and I can go to any one of the French resorts plus most of the rest of the world with alternate exchange programmes. Also the French government lets me write off a first class trip for my g/f and I from London to the French Alps every year. The earnings on my apartment also pay for the season pass + transport + kit so I get to ski for free!

I learnt long, long ago (when I was a pre-teen) that the most tied down person is the one who cannot afford to do something for whatever reason. I am not having a go but unless you are independently wealthy you must be working for someone or yourself (maybe), I don't count that as 'not tied down'. I work for myself at the moment and I have found that I am a harder task master than any establishment I previously worked for. Now if you want to point a finger at me about that, go ahead.

At present I am mulling over the purchase of a nice second hand touring motorbike to ride down to a m8's 3 day birthday party in the south of France in July. I don't really need it but I figure if I am going to do those miles the Ducati I have for weekend scoots is not really suited and since I am down there I am going to visit friends/relatives we have locally and pop over to Corsica and possibly Sardinia if I have time. So what do you think - it's either a 'busa or the BMW GS Adventure? I have a hankering for the 'busa but the GS makes more sense for Corsica/Sardinia.

So now who out of us is 'tied down'? I think it might be you .....

I looked at being a seasonaire a number of times but the whole lifestyle of servitude galled and I knew a number of people who had had bad experiences (partly self inflicted and partly the nature of the beast). Call me 'punter' if you will, I prefer that to 'servant' or 'slave'. I am not saying you Lizzard, are one of those, I don't know what you do and I have an admiration for those people who choose to set up business in the Alps so that they can live the life and ski when they can {nod at Idris} - more power to them (and you, if you fit the category). I may become one in due course, who knows? But I'll never 'do a season', I like to ski when I want to.

Cynic, liking it, but I don't think they wash them that often .... I'll keep an eye out tho' ...
snow conditions
What's the difference between a punter and a gaper?

By way of warning, I typed "gaper" into google. Safesearch was off. The results weren't pretty.
ski holidays
Quote:

Gapers try to distinguish themselves from punters.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
unless you're Candide Thovex

Ooooo I met him last week! He was signing autographs on the table next to us in La Folie Douce in Val, so I got one too to find out who he was Embarassed

Had a bit of a chat, nice bloke.
snow conditions
Piccadilly, who was he?
latest report
Well, as we subsequently found out, he's a freeskiing god who does insane stuff off giant jumps. He's rather good. We didn't have a clue who he was!

He had a whole PR team with him, taking photos of him and filming him signing autographs. One is of a slightly bemused-looking British woman.

I assume he was there because of the X Games.
ski holidays
By the way, had a good gaper/punter experience in Chatel. Was sitting next to 3 strangers in a restaurant, talkng great stuff about the off-piste in the area etc. They were going to finish their coffee and then "smash the Wall" (just next to said restaurant). Chaps were Go-Pro'd up, lovely kit, own skis etc.

I love to watch a good skier ski bumps, so trailed them off the restaurant terrace and watched these guys go down the Swiss Wall.

Very, very badly. Lots of leaning back, weird half jump/half stem turns, falling over etc.

Same chaps then congratulating each other on the run, looking forward to the footage etc (when they finally got down).

Now you can laugh, or you can realise that frankly, many of us have been where they are. I know I have (and in some respects remain there!). I remember when I thought I was bloody brilliant. And wasn't. At least a few years have taught me to shut up and just ski, get lessons wherever I can, and not to count struggling down something on my face/back bottom as "smashing it".

Hasn't stopped me from the following punterishness though:

- bright clothes
- Whitedot skis
- pisteur gloves
- backpack
- helmet
- Oakley goggles
- having lessons
- wishfully thinking that I'm not a punter

Very Happy
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Lizzard, ever heard of exchange programmes?? I'm going to either Guadaloupe or Martinique this summer Aug/Sept on an exchange for weeks at my ski place and I can go to any one of the French resorts plus most of the rest of the world with alternate exchange programmes. Also the French government lets me write off a first class trip for my g/f and I from London to the French Alps every year. The earnings on my apartment also pay for the season pass + transport + kit so I get to ski for free!

I learnt long, long ago (when I was a pre-teen) that the most tied down person is the one who cannot afford to do something for whatever reason. I am not having a go but unless you are independently wealthy you must be working for someone or yourself (maybe), I don't count that as 'not tied down'. I work for myself at the moment and I have found that I am a harder task master than any establishment I previously worked for. Now if you want to point a finger at me about that, go ahead.

At present I am mulling over the purchase of a nice second hand touring motorbike to ride down to a m8's 3 day birthday party in the south of France in July. I don't really need it but I figure if I am going to do those miles the Ducati I have for weekend scoots is not really suited and since I am down there I am going to visit friends/relatives we have locally and pop over to Corsica and possibly Sardinia if I have time. So what do you think - it's either a 'busa or the BMW GS Adventure? I have a hankering for the 'busa but the GS makes more sense for Corsica/Sardinia.

Well, great job earning lots of money, shame all that money won't make you not a punter...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 27-03-13 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Harry Flashman wrote:

To me - a punter is a customer, where's skiing is concerned it's someone who buys into the look (all the tackle no talent wink ). A gaper either hasn't got a clue what he should buy or doesn't give a monkeys.

e.g.
Punter = Spyder ski wear
Gaper = 1980's One piece fart bag he picked up off ebay
snow conditions
I felt very much a punter this morning. Went out with a pisteur (see separate report), all fine. But when he ran skipped, in his ski boots, down the narrow, steep, slippery, tiled steps to their store room I clumped down in very ungainly and elderly punter fashion. Embarassed
ski holidays
...and any of the above worn 'ironically' - not only punter, but pseud punter
ski holidays
jimmer, whatever. Now shut up and make my bed, there's a good boy.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
jimmer, whatever. Now shut up and make my bed, there's a good boy.

Laughing

I don't really do beds, just thought it was funny how much time you spent trying to convince random internet people how much your life is better than theirs.
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat, that level of 'not tied down' really isn't available to most people. However, I should note that high levels of wealth are often associated with the sort of annoying snotty git who uses unnecesary abbreviations to demonstrate how in-crowd he is (WTF is a 'busa when it's at home? Actually don't tell me, I really don't care.) and assumes that the people providing him with a service are his moral inferiors. Having wads of wonga is not a good excuse for being that sort of a jerk, I'm afraid.
snow report
Being a condescending d0uchebag to those less well off is far worse than being a punter IMO.

What Lizzard says.
ski holidays
Quote:

I looked at being a seasonaire a number of times but the whole lifestyle of servitude galled and I knew a number of people who had had bad experiences (partly self inflicted and partly the nature of the beast). Call me 'punter' if you will, I prefer that to 'servant' or 'slave'. I am not saying you Lizzard, are one of those, I don't know what you do and I have an admiration for those people who choose to set up business in the Alps so that they can live the life and ski when they can {nod at Idris} - more power to them (and you, if you fit the category). I may become one in due course, who knows? But I'll never 'do a season', I like to ski when I want to.

Cynic, liking it, but I don't think they wash them that often .... I'll keep an eye out tho' ...

ROFL
Pretentious c0ck alert
Lizzard obv hit a wee nerve Laughing
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/U8Kum8OUTuk
latest report
jimmer, Lizzard, crazy_skier_jules, geeo, DB, Laughing

RattytheSnowRat, rolling eyes
snow report
meh wrote:
jimmer, Lizzard, crazy_skier_jules, geeo, DB, Laughing

RattytheSnowRat, rolling eyes
+1
ski holidays
DB, nice clip. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy