Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things that make you look like a punter....

Poster: A snowHead
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
snoozeboy,

Quote:

"Pisteurs"/gardening gloves

think you missed this, m8.

I think any alpine farmer wearing gloves would be dismissed by their peers as a punteur.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This thread is one-up-man-ship bullsh*t. People live and work in ski resorts, big freaking deal. People go on ski holidays, if they didn't, none of the people in the resort would have jobs.

I hate this whole 'you're a gaper' thing. Sorry we can't all be cool and carry our skis the right way, pull 360s or wear the right hats (helmets) or the right trousers.

Fact is, everyone is there because they love the mountains, and if they look a bit of a knob but aren't hurting anyone, well let them be.

The most worrying thing is the out of control assholes who hurt people.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 16-03-13 1:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pulling the bar down.

Leaving the bar up to be cool.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wearing a super expensive helmet or just a helmet in non rocky terrain.
Wearing goggles when it's not snowing.
Not thinking that is all over bar the shouting for the new F1 season with Vettel winning by a country mile.
Cheap walkie talky
Oakley
Apple
Working out your share of the bill at a group meal.
Where can I buy cheap beer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Punters earn a living AKA have jobs that pay money. This enables them to go skiing, whilst owning a house and optionally having kids, careers, friends all year round etc.

People in resort who refer to 'punters' in the derogatory form are kids with a form of inverted snobbery. They own nothing of note, probably never will and have put off growing up. They cling on to the inverted snobbery to make themselves feel better about their 'life experience'.

There is a smart layer who are confident and hard working enough to do a year or two after College/Uni. and move on. And if they are your chalet host, they are gold dust.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^ yes.

I would say not all think like that, but the whole 'tourists are joeys' thing wears a little thin after a while. No I can't ski off the north face of the Eiger and I don't live in La Grave, sorry I'm so sh*t.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Three or four people have called this thread one-up-manship etc. Fair enough, that's part of the debate. From what I can see, some posts could be called that, some are harmless and often self-depreciating fun, and some are meant to be educational in a gently mocking way. NehNeh

Those who have chosen to live in a resort have sacrificed to a greater or lesser extent home, family, friends, career, the right to vote, "belonging", the pub darts team, bacon sarnies, etc. etc. Indulge us please in a little smugness over the reason we made that decision. Of course we all love punters, they're our life-blood and daily bread! And sometimes lovely people Very Happy . Doesn't mean they're not funny! Most people will have an internet forum where they can congratulate like-minded folk and make in-jokes about outsiders, for british ski-bums it happens to be Snowheads snowHead. Rule 5!

- "Shushing" the fall-line
- Contorting weirdly at the barrier 'cos the pass is in a side pocket
- Thinking the ESF give a damn about improving your skiing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shep wrote:

Those who have chosen to live in a resort have sacrificed to a greater or lesser extent home, family, friends, career, the right to vote, "belonging", the pub darts team, bacon sarnies, etc. etc.

My heart bleeds!

They've done it because skiing is more important to them than that. It's not a sacrifice at all, it's a life choice. What utter rubbish.

If you want bacon sarnies and to be with your family and friends - stay at home!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Piccadilly wrote:
^ yes.

I would say not all think like that, but the whole 'tourists are joeys' thing wears a little thin after a while. No I can't ski off the north face of the Eiger and I don't live in La Grave, sorry I'm so sh*t.

Except a whole lot of those mocking the "punters" can't really ski either. wink
Bit of a difference between the mountain goat like ex-wc alpine guide who's lived there in a snow cave for 30 years, and someone who's just rocked up at the mountains for the first time to make your breakfast and dinner.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the right to vote

You actually have more voting rights than you did before. You can apply for a postal vote in UK local and national elections, and you can also vote in local elections wherever you live in Europe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Saying "Mirabel" instead of Meribel, and "CourchevAl" instead of Courchevel.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Piccadilly wrote:
shep wrote:

Those who have chosen to live in a resort have sacrificed to a greater or lesser extent home, family, friends, career, the right to vote, "belonging", the pub darts team, bacon sarnies, etc. etc.

My heart bleeds!

They've done it because skiing is more important to them than that. It's not a sacrifice at all, it's a life choice. What utter rubbish.

If you want bacon sarnies and to be with your family and friends - stay at home!

Ummm, that's exactly the meaning of sacrifice, to give up one thing for something that they feel is better. Stupid punters and their lack of literacy Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shep wrote:
Three or four people have called this thread one-up-manship etc. Fair enough, that's part of the debate. From what I can see, some posts could be called that, some are harmless and often self-depreciating fun, and some are meant to be educational in a gently mocking way. NehNeh

Those who have chosen to live in a resort have sacrificed to a greater or lesser extent home, family, friends, career, the right to vote, "belonging", the pub darts team, bacon sarnies, etc. etc. Indulge us please in a little smugness over the reason we made that decision. Of course we all love punters, they're our life-blood and daily bread! And sometimes lovely people Very Happy . Doesn't mean they're not funny! Most people will have an internet forum where they can congratulate like-minded folk and make in-jokes about outsiders, for british ski-bums it happens to be Snowheads snowHead. Rule 5!

- "Shushing" the fall-line
- Contorting weirdly at the barrier 'cos the pass is in a side pocket
- Thinking the ESF give a damn about improving your skiing

Reasonable attempt at common sense there Shep!
I commented earlier with a dig at those slagging off "punters". I am a punter and proud to be such.
But after all this is an internet forum and the vast majority of "punter" definitions/quotes are tongue in cheek observations and not meant to be offensive or derogatory.
Those of you who genuinely look down on "punters" then take a good luck at yourselves and..........................
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shep,
Quote:

Contorting weirdly at the barrier 'cos the pass is in a side pocket

Got a better idea for those of us who haven't got a sleeve pocket? (OK, the jacket was a bargain in other respects.)
ski holidays
It's part of life, tribalism, my jacket, logo,team is better than yours. Just remember , no one gets out alive. I have a rucksac full of I couldn't care less what you think , I'm enjoying myself.
ski holidays
Cynic wrote:
Wearing a super expensive helmet or just a helmet in non rocky terrain.
Wearing goggles when it's not snowing.
Not thinking that is all over bar the shouting for the new F1 season with Vettel winning by a country mile.
Cheap walkie talky
Oakley
Apple
Working out your share of the bill at a group meal.
Where can I buy cheap beer.

What has F1 got to do punters in a ski resort Puzzled and you don't think Alonso has a chance this time Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Piccadillyo
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
shep,
Quote:

Contorting weirdly at the barrier 'cos the pass is in a side pocket

Got a better idea for those of us who haven't got a sleeve pocket? (OK, the jacket was a bargain in other respects.)

I bought gloves with a pocket on the back until I changed my jacket. If that's not possible it's helpful to everyone to remember which pocket it's in and choose the corresponding barrier. Groups getting split up at the turnstiles has a knock-on effect when it comes to chairs going up fully-loaded or not. Just sayin' like... snowHead
snow report
when you can't pronounce the names of the ski lifts
snow conditions
Piccadilly wrote:
This thread is one-up-man-ship bullsh*t. People live and work in ski resorts, big freaking deal. People go on ski holidays, if they didn't, none of the people in the resort would have jobs.

I hate this whole 'you're a gaper' thing. Sorry we can't all be cool and carry our skis the right way, pull 360s or wear the right hats (helmets) or the right trousers.

Fact is, everyone is there because they love the mountains, and if they look a bit of a knob but aren't hurting anyone, well let them be.

having a massive sense of humour failure about punter threads NehNeh
latest report
Quote:

Totally agree
snow report
extremerob wrote:
Hurrah - in France, at least, I'm not a punter*. Unlike approximately 90% of the slope-users, including most foreign instructors and other foreigners who live and work in the resorts. Courcheval anyone?

*except of course I am. Agreed, Piccadilly. Those posting with their tongues in their cheeks are pretty obvious, but there are plenty who aren't.
latest report
Not tipping your instructor.

Oh, and obviously only punters need lessons, they are not ski gods.
latest report
There are punters and workers in ski resorts you have to keep punters happy to get a tip.
snow report
The Duke wrote:

Reasonable attempt at common sense there Shep!
I commented earlier with a dig at those slagging off "punters". I am a punter and proud to be such.
But after all this is an internet forum and the vast majority of "punter" definitions/quotes are tongue in cheek observations and not meant to be offensive or derogatory.
Those of you who genuinely look down on "punters" then take a good luck at yourselves and..........................

Thanks The Duke that's a very civilised way to come to a cross-bench understanding! Toofy Grin

And I totally agree with you wrt seasonaires/ski-pros/resort workers if they genuinely look down on the punters. I've seen that kind of cynical lack of respect (from locals and expats) and it's an ugly arrogant thing. Mad
snow report
kesone1 wrote:
Piccadillyo

I don't believe I have thrown my toys out of the pram and flounced off the forum?

It annoys me that holidaymakers are looked down on so much by some people who live/work in resorts. We're not all dickheads.

Some people might just be trolling, but even so.
snow report
snoozeboy wrote:

dulcamara wrote:
every single person on this forum would be a punter !

Isn't that the point? If you take the logic of this thread to it's ultimate conclusion, the only ones who are naturally at home in the mountains are farmers.

Exactly. We have met the punter and he is us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's just like being a grockle, isn't it? Personally I think the most punter-like thing is one of those cameras on your head. wink
ski holidays
Edit

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 18-03-13 12:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I've skied with a lot of seasonaires and nearly all ski like farmers
snow report
The title of this thread confuses things in my opinion. I interpret it as getting enjoyment from seeing the skiing faux pas around resorts not this egotistical one-up-man-ship back and forth.

Some faux pas (by the "punters") from my experience:

1. Arriving at a resort in head-to-toe Aldi/Lidl ski gear.
2. Panda eyes/sunburn (sure it wasn't sunny this morning)
3. The classic "sputnik" style tuck to improve their performance in the wind tunnel.
4. Face plant getting off the ski lift.
5. Making your mates wait 15 minutes so you can get a video of yourself catching 13cm's of "air" on a jump.
6. Forgetting where you left your ski's when you stopped for lunch.
7. Too slow getting off a lift and you take a round trip.
8. Considering beside the blue slope off-piste.
9. Getting the cheap accommodation 300 yards walk from the lifts.
10. Skiing too fast through junctions!
11. Flying Ryanair!
latest report
Nadenoodlee, good for you and well said you smart middle layer
snow conditions
Cynic,

Did they smell like farmers too?
latest report
Wearing a full ghillie suit. Seen a couple of them now.

Poles with snowlerblades.

Snowlerblades without poles.

OG Dynastar Course and SX91s.
snow report
Never making first chair/bin.

Skiing open to close.
ski holidays
Cunners wrote:
1. Talk about the "Stunt Ditch" on the lifts (an old TRG one, but a doozy)

I love this one, I call it that all the time ever after reading that post
snow report
Cynic, nowt wrong with skiing like a farmer Very Happy
latest report
extremerob wrote:

Bothering to learn the real names of the lifts wink
ski holidays
narc wrote:
Cunners wrote:
1. Talk about the "Stunt Ditch" on the lifts (an old TRG one, but a doozy)

I love this one, I call it that all the time ever after reading that post

Linky?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy