Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Transfers and Cheap Resort under 1.5hrs (ish)

Poster: A snowHead
1. Is it me or does the cost of a transfer seem to have jumped massively in price? Last year I am sure we got a transfer from Geneva Airport to Avoriaz for 300Euro, this year the cheapest I ave been quoted is 420Euro.

Just wondering who you good folk use as I am happy to get a shared transfer but even these seem around 380Euro?

We are looking to travel on the 3rd Feb to Avoriaz or Flaine but did not think the dates would have too much impact as surely the business is pretty steady all season.

2. After going to Avoriaz last year and loved it we are swaying towards it again this year. My only problem is we can only go on the 3rd of Feb so the cost is pretty high. Just wondering if you have any other decent recommendations for decent resorts under 1.5(ish) hours away from Avoriaz that we might be worth looking at to get better value for money.

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry for two questions just did not want to start multiple posts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rent a car? You can get one for £200 from rentalcars.com for a week. Parking at Avoriaz £90.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Geneva transfers - Look at gomassif.com for Flaine and Les Carroz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bluedusty, must be at least a hundred resorts within 1.5 hours of GVA. Look at j2ski.com for inspiration.

No idea where you’re getting your transfers from. Easybus e.g. start at €6 one way to Chamonix...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
All I have been doing is putting Geneva ski transfers etc into Google which has given me company's that offer shuttle service or private transfer such as alpe2alpe, skiidey Gonzalez and ski lifts I think it was.
I have not seen easybus so I will give them a look thanks.

I did think about car hire but not sure the wife would be too happy if the road conditions are not great (she doesn't trust my driving obviously ha ha)

In terms of resorts I suppose I am after recommendation really as Avoriaz was so good last year would we be disappointed going somewhere else or is there other resorts close to Geneva that we would enjoy as a family just as much.

Thanks for all your help so far.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@bluedusty, ah, that’s your group price? Hmmm, maybe. I thought it was the per person price haha!

Per person a much better number to compare with, obviously.

If you liked Avoriaz - and without knowing why you liked it - Flaine is a logical alternative.

If you are simply now addicted to tartiflette? then go anywhere. If you harbour a secret love for slightly brutalist 60s architecture? Flaine.

You’re not really giving us much to work with here...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bluedusty, Combloux or St Gervais?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use findatransfer.com companies will pitch prices to you.

As for resorts, for skiing I can recommend Mint Blanc Evasion
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@bluedusty, St Gervais has a direct bus link with Geneva airport with Ouibus they run every second hour & its 25 euro each way
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Findatransfer’s website is down. Permanently?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry try findtransfers.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In terms of Avoriaz I supposed we just liked everything it had to offer for the kids (8 and 10). They enjoyed the Aquariaz and ice rink etc but I suppose any hotel with a pool would do the job. Me and the wife are pretty much intermediates (Blues but I will attempt some reds with my eyes shut) and the kids are much better than us ha ha, so really liked the variety of runs on offer.
I have been on loads of lads ski trip's but only really remember the Apre ski and did not really take any notice of the resort. So in terms of family holiday the only other ski resort we can compare it to was Chamrousse which in its own way was excellent as well but limited on things for the kids to do.
I suppose now having been to Avoriaz I don't want to try and take them somewhere that they might not enjoy as much but also rather than stick to one resort explore others as well.

Sorry long winded answer.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@bluedusty, not long winded at all. Very helpful. If there is an equivalent to Aquariaz in Flaine, maybe an option. Otherwise, the kids won’t critcise something they like ... nothing wrong doing the same thing again if it worked Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IME kids really enjoy re-visiting favourite holiday places. Avoriaz would be hard to beat for your group. Why don't you enrol in lessons too - or kids will get impatient. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated. I was thinking along the same line in terms of going back to Avoriaz but I suppose I just wanted to make sure their is not another resort we would be potentially missing out on that is as good if not better for the family.
I must admit we do need to have some lessons because I can keep up with the kids, as I just throw myself into it but my technique could be massively improved. The wife can do it but just does not feel she can and needs to build her confidence, but to be fair her technique is much better than mine.
Think I will just bite the bullet and get in sorted today or tomorrow. Looking at what I can do it for individually and what sunwebs ski are doing it for, price wise there is nothing in it really for 3rd Feb.
snow conditions
The biggest difference is often down to how much you eat - and drink- out, rather thsn catering for yourselves. Having accommodation near the slopes means you can save a packet on lunches. With a bit if planning you can take a few bits and pieces with you, too. Resort shops aren't cheap!
ski holidays
Avoriaz is sufficiently ski in & out that you get away with never eating out. Although that would restrict range somewhat
snow conditions
Last year we decided to meet up after kids ski school and eat out for lunch (mainly Crepes ha ha) and cook ourselves in the evening. This seemed to work really well as the prices did look pretty high in most places for an evening meal and a pint at just under 8euro. It was cheaper to buy a crate in the supermarket and drag it back on the sleigh Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy