Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First adult skis for a young teen

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I've just measured youngest son against his K2 Juvy skis and shock horror he has grown. They might just about do for our trip end of December but starting to put feelers out for possible replacements.

He’s 161cm and strong intermediate, mainly piste but will go down anything and off piste about 20% (mainly at the side of piste/through trees) though more knarly stuff with instructor). Not fussed about twin tips again though would still like to be able to some basic jumps in the park.
Any thoughts come to mind? I did have a look at the Volkl RTM 80 skis (don’t want to break the bank in view of his age and not sure how much I will get for his current ones!). Ideally don't want to spend more than £300 max so happy to look at 2011, 2012 models if necessary

TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl tend towards the stiff side, and in my view are a bit like marmite, love them or hate them. How much does he weigh?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not helping re: ski choice, but I'd recommend looking at glisshop's website for cheap ski's (£100 up), stuff like Atomic Nomad smoke's in 157cm with bindings for £164 etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lilywhite, hmm admit to looking at volkl as I'm in the love them camp. I'll have to check his weight when he comes home later ... guessing about 50kg

mbydmt, looking now, thanks
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There seems quite a jump between junior skis and adult mens skis, would you consider a decent womans ski that seems to bridge the gap for lightweight teenagers?
Our friends 8st (dripping wet with hobnail boots on) 5'9" teenage son ended up with blizzard black pearls which are actually a ladies ski, last couple of years the graphics were of a bull so not too girly (he would have covered them in stickers anyway) 125-88-110 does well all mountain for lightweight skiers, aimed toward the good intermediate/advanced market. This years graphics are more abstract- wood and dark blue so less femme than some. Tip and tail rocker. The womens equivalent of the Bushwacker (which I love) but easier on the lightweight skier.
They've been around a while so you might get a deal on the 2011's, I doubt you'll find any in decent nick second hand as they seem to be loved by (almost) everyone.
Volkl womens skis like the Auras will be torsionally less stiff than the mens ski, again volkl lovers love them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lilywhite, 53kg

Yes, quite a jump Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 for Blizzard Bushwacker 159cm (essentially same ski as Black Pearl)
or Scott Punisher 2011/12, 158 or 168cm

Neither have a metal layer (unlike most Volkls) so are much lighter whilst still being plenty stiff enough for 53kg
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went for Volkl RTM in the end, good price on last years models (Edge&Wax) Was a gamble that paid off - very pleased 13yr old who is able to do everything he could on the junior twin tips and coping well with 161cm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marmotte16,

Just found this and I was wondering if you still have the juvy twin tips you mentioned? My son has 139 juvy's but has nearly outgrown them.

Thanks

Simone

david DOT simone AT ntlworld DOT com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marmotte16, I missed your original question, but I am interested in the scenario you describe.

I am facing the same problem in the next year or so for my eldest - she verges on outgrowing her Fischer RC4's next year and they are a 150 - so I will be looking at adding +10cm for the next jump. However, she is only 13 now and only just 6 stone+ so flexing a truly adult ski could be problematical even after another growing year. I did think of putting her next onto my little used set of 160cm Elan WaveMagics, but I have received the thought that they won't be a good enough ski for the able skier that she is. I think even if they are a softer ski (and I'm not sure that they sooo soft) that because they are an 'adult' ski and naturally stiffer due to that, that they might do for her. If anyone had any thoughts, and as they would be relevant for this thread, I'd be most interested.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 30-01-13 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My daughter started on adult skis when she was 14, Dynastar She's Trouble 155cm. She got on fine with them. Doing it again I would probably get more out and out piste skis though. Bought her some stiff advanced piste skis last year and they bought her skiing on enormously.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, your daughters current skis are a relatively soft/beginner/intermediate kids ski, would be difficult to say with her weight how she would get on with adult skis, but will cost nothing for her to try yours, she'll either thank you for them or she won't. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher, that was kind of my feeling - I thought maybe next year a trip to a snowdome with them - they have a rail binding so will take her boot and that goes low enough for her current DIN setting so I can easily get them set up for her by a tame ski tech. She skied the Fisher RC4 Race Jr's at top of head height last year and was fine with them, so I think, if she has a growing spurt, that the Wave-Magics might be a useful try next year. I'm sure you are right, she will know within 10 mins whether they are suitable or not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Similar problem with my 13 yr old son, think he's about 5ft6 but stick thin. Ladies skis are NOT an option! I've just purchased a pair of 160cm junior Volkl Racetiger for him from Sport Conrad at a similar price as a weeks hire. We will see how they go after his first week in 11 days time, if they are Marmite (hate) they might be on eBay before the March and April trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our 13 year old daughter moved up onto a Fischer KOA 78 last year in a 158. She was about that height at the time so bought with a bot of growth. Got on fine with them and definitely improved from her K2 Missys. These are a lighter construction than the KOA 84s but have plenty of performance to improve and are great all over the mountain. Obviously a womans ski though! Son has also just moved onto a Gotama jnr 148. I think they go up to around 160 and this is a junior ski but with a sidewall construction and plenty of performance which seems to be a good step between the cheaper junior and adult skis, especially if you don't want a race type ski.
ski holidays
At the risk of derailing the thread, but it is very much related, how are you all doing with the move from kids to adult boots?
snow report
Megamum, I'm not planning to put my 13 year old girl into adult skis/boots anytime soon, I think she would prefer me to buy her high performance junior specific stuff, rather than put her into intermediate/advanced adult gear that won't suit her weight or build. Confused
ski holidays
I think boots are a different matter entirely. My daughter wore her junior boots (reasonably high spec 65 flex ones) until last year at 16 when she just wasn't getting the control from them she needed. Lockwoods also told me that it's important, especially for girls, not to put them into adult boots too early as it can harm their feet.
snow conditions
Megamum, I'd give her a go on the Wave Magics once she's tall enough. I lent mine to a heavy-ish beginner friend and the ski instructor told her they were too stiff for her, and advised her to use more beginnerish skis (she now has some suitable ones and finds them a lot easier). As you have the Wave Magics, I'd definitely get her to give them a good trial before shelling out on something new. They might be too stiff if she's slight, but she'll soon find out.
latest report
Monie&Dave wrote:
marmotte16,

Just found this and I was wondering if you still have the juvy twin tips you mentioned? My son has 139 juvy's but has nearly outgrown them.

Thanks

Simone

david DOT simone AT ntlworld DOT com

Now your name rings a bell from another place. Sorry I have sold them on ebay wink
ski holidays
Arctic Monkey has made a smooth and happy transition to adult skis. I took a gamble with the Volkls and he is happy and skiing very well on them
I'm happy too - we replaced his boots in France and managed to get him some juniors Very Happy The shops here couldn't offer 26.5 in junior. So we have avoided adult boots, for now.
snow conditions
pam w, that's very useful feedback esp. as you know the skis. Thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
muppet wrote:
Similar problem with my 13 yr old son, think he's about 5ft6 but stick thin. Ladies skis are NOT an option! I've just purchased a pair of 160cm junior Volkl Racetiger for him from Sport Conrad at a similar price as a weeks hire. We will see how they go after his first week in 11 days time, if they are Marmite (hate) they might be on eBay before the March and April trip.

Just a bit of feedback, muppet jnr was VERY happy with the Volkls and we saw a huge improvement on his technique on the first day and he preferred them to the twin tips we hired last April. Overall success.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy