Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NEED ADVICE. New to the sport but so very keen!

Poster: A snowHead
Cynic wrote:
ladtalk, Tignes as a beginner would overwhelm you, start in a smaller resort with oompah and picturesque scenery where the green runs are not moguled (see Tignes) and you will enjoy the gradients and progress easily.

Or

Italy (Avoid Courmayeur) does not have a good progression from the nursery slopes at the top to anything else inviting. Try La Tuille nice classy little resort with enough green and blues to last you your first week, links with La Rossiere in France so large amount of skiing. Avoid Black 3 back to the village; it is truly black I promise. Has nice Gelato bar at foot of cable car.

Cheeers La Tuille looks like £700 each per person not including lift pass etc cant blow that much on first trip lol
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ladtalk wrote:
Hotel Golf

in Bled, Slovenia

No. rolling eyes

ITALY-AUSTRIA-FRANCE.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ladtalk wrote:

Cheeers La Tuille looks like £700 each per person not including lift pass etc cant blow that much on first trip lol

As mentioned, you're lookin too early for a deal.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski, +
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

March 9th is pretty late season

No it isn't. In France, even in lower resorts, it's absolutely peak season (which is why the French school hols will be going on until the middle of the month).

April 9th is beginning to be late.

It's a shame you've already decided against France, ladtalk, as you could get the COMPLETE package, including coach travel from London 5.5 FULL days instruction, lift pass, hire of gear and full board for £770 each, in a twin room with en-suite shower. If you could go the following week the resort would be a lot less crowded.

Still, if you have your heart set on Bulgaria, off you go.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk wrote:
Hotel Golf

in Bled, Slovenia

No. rolling eyes

ITALY-AUSTRIA-FRANCE.

HAHA

advice taken. Search changed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk wrote:

As mentioned, you're lookin too early for a deal.

yeah thats true! just doing research not sure on exactly how much it will go down by.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And as also mentioned, Iglu Ski provides some historic snow record info. Failing that, join the SCGB, pay the membership fee and access their data. They also have a forum and may well be able to provide good advice too in a warm and convivial way.....not called the Tea Club of Great Britain for nothing Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

March 9th is pretty late season

No it isn't. In France, even in lower resorts, it's absolutely peak season (which is why the French school hols will be going on until the middle of the month).

April 9th is beginning to be late.

It's a shame you've already decided against France, ladtalk, as you could get the COMPLETE package, including coach travel from London 5.5 FULL days instruction, lift pass, hire of gear and full board for £770 each, in a twin room with en-suite shower. If you could go the following week the resort would be a lot less crowded.

Still, if you have your heart set on Bulgaria, off you go.....

i have put full faith in forums b4 buy cars etc and will do so now..

France isn't off the books i just saw what seemed a good deal.

& for £770 seems amazing where was that or you gonna tease me and not tel mme haha
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ladtalk,

There's a difference between cheap and good value.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've never been to Bulgaria, or been with UCPA, or to Flaine but if you're looking for something budget, have you considered UCPA (maybe via Action-Outdoors?)

~ £600pp for full board, lift pass, hire kit, and instruction (depending on which option you pick). Accommodation is mostly in dorms, but Flaine has twins. Doesn't include transport but they do offer a coach option for £100. Students seem to get a fairly hefty discount too, so you could probably do it for £1200 all in.

edit: It may actually be cheaper than this for those 18-25 too...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 20-11-12 18:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
ladtalk,

There's a difference between cheap and good value.

exactly and as always i want the world for next to nothing!

but jsut want to see what you guys suggest i will wait untll one month before and order just wonna keep a tab on things now...

all feeedback is welcome...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ladtalk, look at the Action Outdoors website. They do holidays to UCPA Centres in France, which are good fun, and a young, cosmopolitan crowd. Good tuition. You need to pick one that does beginners, AND has twin rooms (assuming you wouldn't want to sleep in dorms). Flaine would be good, from that point of view. But it's peak, peak, season. If you could wait till the following week the resort would be a lot quieter.

You can get half day tuition options too, but given you are so keen, full days will get you there quicker. They would sort you into suitable groups - you'll probably have most fun if you are in a group together, and at the same level.

There's a discount code somewhere on Snowheads - the search function should find it. Gives you 5% off, I think.

PS. the UCPA centres are all in big, very well known, French resorts. But even small, unknown, French resorts are better than Bulgaria!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ladtalk, wait until the day before if you really want a deal. Early sweeteners or Brinksmanship are the names of the game when it comes to TOs.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
ladtalk, look at the Action Outdoors website. They do holidays to UCPA Centres in France, which are good fun, and a young, cosmopolitan crowd. Good tuition. You need to pick one that does beginners, AND has twin rooms (assuming you wouldn't want to sleep in dorms). Flaine would be good, from that point of view. But it's peak, peak, season. If you could wait till the following week the resort would be a lot quieter.

You can get half day tuition options too, but given you are so keen, full days will get you there quicker. They would sort you into suitable groups - you'll probably have most fun if you are in a group together, and at the same level.

There's a discount code somewhere on Snowheads - the search function should find it. Gives you 5% off, I think.

PS. the UCPA centres are all in big, very well known, French resorts. But even small, unknown, French resorts are better than Bulgaria!

Yeah i am having a look at Flaine - doesn't show much in the way of room pictures etc...

im guessing it will be placed in a lively town??
snow report
Errr, I'm not sure "lively town" is quite accurately used in the same sentence as Flaine...
snow conditions
ladtalk, How much is Andorra these days? Tax free zone Soldeu best as is high.

Consider S/C you will get the hang of it after a couple of days; I have done an apartment, ok it was Tignes in March for £35 a head 4 sleeping in a shoe box arrived on a red eye coach for £40 return get pssed every night so you get to sleep eh voila

But as advised for your first trip go to Austria for gemutlich, ice bars, oompah and happy memories .

PS make sure your plastic instructor talks about skiing in arcs (shapes not the place) Go to Hemel or an indoor snow slope if you can so you are up to speed after plastic.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 20-11-12 18:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Quote:

it will be placed in a lively town??

no, flaine is not very lively. Chamonix or Val D'Isere centres are in livelier places but maybe not so suitable in other ways. But going out and being lively will cost you an arm and a leg in French bars, compared to staying at the UCPA bar. If the beer is more important than the skiing, go to Bulgaria.

My daughter and her BF stayed in Flaine, said the room was fine, with a nice balcony. But my daughter is an experienced traveller who has lived in backpackers hostels, boats etc - so she doesn't have luxury pretensions. wink

You will find that ski holidays involve a lot of compromise and hard thinking about priorities. You can go places where you can have the lot - but not for £770 all in. wink
snow report
Cynic wrote:
ladtalk, How much is Andorra these days? Tax free zone Soldeu best as is high.

Consider S/C you will get the hang of it after a couple of days; I have done an apartment, ok it was Tignes in March for £35 a head 4 sleeping in a shoe box arrived on a red eye coach for £40 return get pssed every night so you get to sleep eh voila

But as advised for your first trip go to Austria for gemutlich, ice bars, oompah and happy memories .

PS make sure your plastic instructor talks about skiing in arcs (shapes not the place) Go to Hemel or an indoor snow slope if you can so you are up to speed after plastic.

seems to be everyone pointing towards either italy or Austria...

where would you suggest?

&& plastic instructor ?? aint up to date with Snowheads banter... rolling eyes
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it will be placed in a lively town??

no, flaine is not very lively. Chamonix or Val D'Isere centres are in livelier places but maybe not so suitable in other ways. But going out and being lively will cost you an arm and a leg in French bars, compared to staying at the UCPA bar. If the beer is more important than the skiing, go to Bulgaria.

My daughter and her BF stayed in Flaine, said the room was fine, with a nice balcony. But my daughter is an experienced traveller who has lived in backpackers hostels, boats etc - so she doesn't have luxury pretensions. wink

You will find that ski holidays involve a lot of compromise and hard thinking about priorities. You can go places where you can have the lot - but not for £770 all in. wink

ahah amazingly Flaine seems like a winner as i dont want anything to out of hand as spent last year in Malia etc..

looking for decent snow more than anything!!

Luxury pretensions ... its the other half ! Embarassed
snow conditions
driz, Idea of UCPA is a good one (again I would avoid Tignes) all in trip nothing to worry about and good value.
ski holidays
Having a look at Action - outdoors no function to pay for one student and then one full time hard worker :/

Grrrr
ski holidays
ladtalk, With ***** it used to hold the top herpes resorts of europe. No names no legal bill
latest report
Quote:

you'd be unlucky not to get decent snow in any of the UCPA resorts in March. But bad luck happens. Instructors, however, are very good at finding decent snow for you, they know exactly where to go in their areas.

You could wait for a last minute deal, but most last minute deals won't be any cheaper though they MIGHT give you more luxurious accommodation. But if the skiing, and instruction, is the most important thing, you can't do better, for that sort of money, than UCPA.

Do I detect that the GF is not that keen? If so, you might need to re-think!
snow report
ladtalk wrote:
i dont want anything to out of hand as spent last year in Malia etc..

PMSL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Not even the Austrians could compete with Malia in that context Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

you'd be unlucky not to get decent snow in any of the UCPA resorts in March. But bad luck happens. Instructors, however, are very good at finding decent snow for you, they know exactly where to go in their areas.

You could wait for a last minute deal, but most last minute deals won't be any cheaper though they MIGHT give you more luxurious accommodation. But if the skiing, and instruction, is the most important thing, you can't do better, for that sort of money, than UCPA.

Do I detect that the GF is not that keen? If so, you might need to re-think!

Aha no she is keen just brought up a little differently hence she usually goes on her yacht for summer.... Alright for some right!

Yeah starting to sound like a huge contender, shame have to go on a coach...

Where is the best place to go via this website ???
snow conditions
Chasseur wrote:
ladtalk wrote:

Not even the Austrians could compete with Malia in that context Laughing Laughing Laughing

Haha yeah so I'm looking for more calm and chilled!

And to get in b4 9am from a night out
ski holidays
Think I'll throw my pen'ith in here as I've been to many cheaper resorts! In no particular order:

Borovets only in Bulgaria - been twice and is great for learning, but it is the bottom of the pile, so upwards from here!!. Some of the best skiing is to be had in April.

Italy - great mix of skiing and beer - my favourite country. Try La Thuille, Bardonechia, Livigno, Sauze for the cheapest resorts - maybe Passo Tonale. (however, Livigno seems to have gone up in price since the Innsbruck flights). the ones that are too expensive and that generally dont have any deals - Dolomites, Cervinia, Monte Rosa, Courmayeur, Madonna

Austria - you need one of the higher ones which will mean an increase in price - above 1200m(?) - Mayhofen, Ski Amada. if snow is good even the low resorts are expensive

France - Alpe d'huez, Serre Chevalier, Flaine (no nite life)

Try the online sites for deals - start looking after half term - pointless before hand. but be wary of too good to be true deals.
Not your requirement but Jan has the cheapest deals - packages from about £250 (flights, trans and hotel). I tend to pay less then £350 most years. However, i've pushed the budget up this year to £365 for the EoSB Very Happy !

The problem with deals is holding your bottle Confused !!!

Gaz
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I tend to pay less then £350 most years

but then you have to add lift pass, equipment hire if needed, lessons and lunches.
snow conditions
Gaz_H wrote:
the ones that are too expensive and that generally dont have any deals - Madonna

Gaz

But one could look at Folgarida - Rocket Ski have a 3* hotel at £559 HB F & T - and take the wider lift pass if needed to ski Madonna (can be done on a day-by-day basis). Great area for beginners and progressors IMHO. Managed a late deal there in March 2010 to the same hotel with Rocket Ski for £339.

Again, worth waiting to see, as has been mentioned.
ski holidays
ladtalk wrote:
Chasseur wrote:
ladtalk wrote:

Haha yeah so I'm looking for more calm and chilled!

And to get in b4 9am from a night out

In my experience you can still get seriously pi**ed before 8pm. Its amazing what you can shift in 3 hours, especially in Austria!!
ski holidays
Think the main message you're getting is don't go to Bulgaria - or Slovenia I suspect!
Stick to a good Italian Austrian or French resort - you don't need lots of km of piste - but somewhere with good snow good lifts and good ski school and a bit of an après craic
I suggested tignes because of the Brits - its a good party and you'd be snow sure and good schools too - fi a seperate forum search on that.
But others have suggested good alternatives too! Personally I prefer Italy or Austria for the ambience and prices.
Basically if it's your first time go somewhere pretty, with a good mountain and on the civilised world! Otherwise you might have a crap time and get put off for life! After that there's a life time to explore! Just not in Bulgaria!
Get on a good ski hols search engine, set a budget and see what's on offer! snowHead
ski holidays
Tignes is incredible!!! +1 for Mayrhofen too. And sauze d'oulx.....

I started skiing in Bulgaria (borovets) and agree with majorit of positive and nagative comments on this thread. We went in march and were exceptionally lucky with the snow in that the locals said it was the most snow they had received that week that late in the year for many years. We would have been in trouble before that as there was no snow. Architechture dreadful, town not inviting, strips clubs and "no guns" signs about....see the front door of the Rila hotel!!! (we had a few apres drinks but spent most of our time in the 4* hotel lion, and payed for private tuition (which was excellent BTW). Doesn't have a nice feel about the place but in terms of learning it was great. 5 years ago payed £335 1/2 board including free lift passes. was unbeatable on price at the time so was a no brainer.

In hindsight though, I would now recommend going as a beginner to a nice place. As everybodty is saying, pay for a <40km resort elsewhere in europe for same price and you'll have an overall much much nicer experience. If the snow had been bad in Bulgaria it would have been awful I have to say.

Also check out the milky way ski area - massive and lots of lovely liyttle villages.

If your after cheap packages try crystal ski, ski total, inghams, igluski. Weve booked holidays through all of these and had great times. A chalet is a good option too (though go for a larger one say above 12 people) if you go as a couple.
ski holidays
ladtalk, www.Igluski.com seems to have lots in your budget and date range.
latest report
ladtalk, can we establish what your budget is, for everything, including travel, accommodation, eating, ski pass, lessons, hiring gear. Everything except drinking. wink Then we can give you more specific advice.

Maybe the rich GF would pay for you to go somewhere nice?
snow conditions
ladtalk,
As there is only the two of you to get organised ... its going to be easy.

The price really depends on when you go more than where you go.
You're cheapest weak is probably Saturday Jan 5th. It gets more expensive as the season goes on till after half term when it starts to calm down.

Look out for a last minute deal at someone like www.ifyouski.com
don't bother looking till at least the Tuesday before you go.

Unfortunately, although you can always take sandwiches with you for a week you will still need a lift pass.

I'm going to kick off a new thread ... "Cheapest ski holiday"
latest report
DrLawn,
Quote:

I'm going to kick off a new thread ..."Cheapest ski holiday"

I'm still waiting wink Laughing
snow conditions
Gaz_H wrote:
Think I'll throw my pen'ith in here as I've been to many cheaper resorts! In no particular order:

Borovets only in Bulgaria - been twice and is great for learning, but it is the bottom of the pile, so upwards from here!!. Some of the best skiing is to be had in April.

Italy - great mix of skiing and beer - my favourite country. Try La Thuille, Bardonechia, Livigno, Sauze for the cheapest resorts - maybe Passo Tonale. (however, Livigno seems to have gone up in price since the Innsbruck flights). the ones that are too expensive and that generally dont have any deals - Dolomites, Cervinia, Monte Rosa, Courmayeur, Madonna

Austria - you need one of the higher ones which will mean an increase in price - above 1200m(?) - Mayhofen, Ski Amada. if snow is good even the low resorts are expensive

France - Alpe d'huez, Serre Chevalier, Flaine (no nite life)

Try the online sites for deals - start looking after half term - pointless before hand. but be wary of too good to be true deals.
Not your requirement but Jan has the cheapest deals - packages from about £250 (flights, trans and hotel). I tend to pay less then £350 most years. However, i've pushed the budget up this year to £365 for the EoSB Very Happy !

Gaz

Is this EoSB good? And yeah looking at France or Italy !!!! Very Happy
latest report
ladtalk wrote:

Gaz

Very Happy[/quote]

Can't seem to find any cheaper for jan plus where the hell you find 350 ones????
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
ladtalk,
As there is only the two of you to get organised ... its going to be easy.

The price really depends on when you go more than where you go.
You're cheapest weak is probably Saturday Jan 5th. It gets more expensive as the season goes on till after half term when it starts to calm down.

Look out for a last minute deal at someone like www.ifyouski.com
don't bother looking till at least the Tuesday before you go.

Unfortunately, although you can always take sandwiches with you for a week you will still need a lift pass.

I'm going to kick off a new thread ... "Cheapest ski holiday"

The best time for France is march is that correct??

And when is their holiday ??

Is it the same for Italy ??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy