Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to keep my lower back warm ... girlie question!!

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on how best to keep my lower back warm while skiing, or rather while standing about waiting on lifts or sitting on windy chairs. I find that my lower back below my waistline gets chilled, I have a typical female shape where my spine curves in and my bum curves out and ski pants tend to gape a bit no matter how tight the waist band is. They are the right size otherwise! What I need is something to add an extra layer to keeping that part of my back warm, especially as when it gets too cold I end up needing more loo stops.... Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
purplegirl, It sounds like you need high backed salopettes with a bib and brace - lots are made like this, I have a pair myself.

Either that or a cuddly ski instructor!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a picture of a pair of mens ones here, but you should be able to get ladies if you need to (personally I wear mens ones) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Dare2be-Acclaim-Black-ski-snow-salopettes-/180725532617
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pies
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the tip Megamum. I was hoping to avoid new salopettes though, the braces never seem to be in the right place for my boobs, not even the ladies ones!!! Oh dear, now I think I am conjuring up an image of a bizarre body shape and its not, honest!! I think the term is hourglass!! wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
purplegirl, someone recommended these haramakis to me a while ago and I'm going to order one myself for exactly the same (shapely) reason as you. Toofy Grin I hate wearing high salopettes, even more with braces - all the more to strip off on a wee stop. Blush
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
purplegirl, Whats the waistband like at the back - you might be able to open it stitch in an inch thick piece of elastic from side to side across the back and gather it in a bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tiffin wrote:
pies

Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks RachelQ for the tip - I have been straight to that site and ordered one. Hopefully, if it is a good fit, then it will solve my problem!! wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Therma care plasters for bad backs are brilliant. Peel and stick for instant heat. They recently had them in poundland too.Its a throw away solution though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
purplegirl, Go on snow shepherds web site , he has heated body warmers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is how not to do it....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
This is how not to do it....

Builders are allowed to ski!
snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
a onesie base layer will do the trick, or extra long upper body base layer so you can tuck em in good (probably more practical for pit-stops) - tuck em into your drawers for extra security
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Doesn't sound like your gear fits you very well. Your salopettes sound too big round the waist and your jacket too small/short. I daresay you didn't want to hear this...
snow conditions
Quote:

a onesie base layer will do the trick

Puzzled that's a very weird idea. I was a bit gobsmacked at "onesie" pyjamas in Marks and Spencers. But climbing out of your pyjamas to do a pee in the middle of the night would be a piece of p1ss (so to speak) compared to getting out of a onesie base layer in a wet mountain restaurant loo.
latest report
pam w, I'm a proud and grateful-in-winter owner of similiar onesie pyjamas - to combat cold lower back (bit of a faff for a pee as you say -though easier for males and indeed on date night, but worth it for a cozy sleep)
latest report
A massive night on the pi$$ will keep kidneys glowing the following day. wink
snow report
Quote:

worth it for a cozy sleep

I have no problem being cozy with traditional pyjamas - and am back in bed after a quick pee before I cool down too much. Daftest idea I ever saw for women.
snow report
pam w, allright love dont get your nightie in a twist, just imparting what I know works for me for a cold lower back, those qualifications lead me to believe i could contribute to the suggestions, your dismissal dont make it any less valid. All you offered was a picture of someones crack (HI-LARIOUS rolling eyes ). If you bothered to read my post without getting all female about it you would see that I suggested another alternative (that i also know works) for the very reason of practicality and overall comfort, implying it a better suggestion for those very reasons.

OP, hope you find a sensible if not effective solution

over and out
snow report
barry wrote:

over and out

Which one "over" or "out"? Together they make no sense. 'Over' hands the conversation over to the other operator, 'out' ends the transmission. wink
ski holidays
Mollerski, thats over and you're out? (a la Dickie Bird)

perfect sense

ten four rubber duckie
snow conditions
Pop down to your local motorcycle emporium and have a look at the kidney belts. It's not an uncommon complaint amongst bikers too.
ski holidays
Modifying braces on a pair of salopettes is likely to be a hell of a lot easier than trying to find something that fits better; I can think of a couple of people who've done just that and been reasonably happy with the results.

Few other options... get a jacket with a snowskirt that's designed to attach to your trousers... I know TNF and Westbeach do this, and probably others too. You could get a pair of salopettes made to measure (I can recommend Cioch Direct for this) but it won't be cheap... potentially more than the last suggestion! Another possibility might be to get a back protector. It may be tricky to find a well fitting one, but it should cover the problematic areas and keep them a little warmer, and it has the added benefit of protecting your back.
snow report
eh, thanks for all the helpful (and not so helpful!) tips and for the funny picture, now that is chilly!! Luckily my ski jacket is not too short, nor too small, it has a snowskirt and fits me perfectly... so at least I can say I have mastered that tricky art of buying clothes which are the correct size. Oh and it does attach to the ski pants too... which are not too big, apart from the gaping at the back, which is something I get with a lot of trousers, jeans etc. The motorcycling tip is a good one, I used to have a similar issue in my days of riding on two wheels, never did find the perfect solution for that, and yes my motor cycling kit did all zip together too.

I will now ponder the fangle I could potentially get myself into if I go down the 'onesies' route. That could cut my skiing time right back, once I have added on all the extra time to delayer myself. I suppose I could start the stripping down process whilst in the ladies queue. There is always a ladies queue Embarassed
latest report
Tuck your long sleeved t-shirt or whatever you wear into the layer you have under your salopettes? If it always comes untucked try a longer one?

But also maybe try a longer jacket - are you particularly long in the body? I am and I have that tricky hourglass shape (I know, I know, tall, hourglass, long legs, I'm so unfortunate Neh Neh ) and I found a Ripcurl jacket to be the right length.

You could try men's sals on?
snow report
wow, tucking in my base layers, I never even thought of trying that!!!! rolling eyes
snow report
purplegirl,

I tuck in otherwise it really affects how warm I feel (it gets cold here). I tuck my icebreaker into my long leg base layer and then sometimes another layer into my ski pants with another layer on top so I don't look as hideous as it sounds
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
purplegirl wrote:
wow, tucking in my base layers, I never even thought of trying that!!!! rolling eyes

seriously!!!! I do actually tuck in my base layers.. doesn't everyone?
snow report
purplegirl, Mine always come untucked, that's why I suggested it. I'd tuck them in properly at the start of the day and then by 10 minutes in they come untucked. Then I tried better fitting under layers under my sals and longer t-shirts. Hey presto, no more cold back.
snow report
big knickers
latest report
RachelQ wrote:
purplegirl, someone recommended these haramakis to me a while ago and I'm going to order one myself for exactly the same (shapely) reason as you. Toofy Grin I hate wearing high salopettes, even more with braces - all the more to strip off on a wee stop. Blush

Huge big thanks RachelQ Very Happy I remembered reading this and thought it sounded like something I would benefit from. I ordered one on Tuesday and it arrived today. It is brill! I have been wearing it all day! Very, very good for a bit of extra warmth and added benefit of being a little bit slimming too Embarassed
snow report
purplegirl, I have the same shape issue as you, but by dint of tucking multiple top half layers into multiple bottom half layers in one permutation or another, I never have a gap. (I do admittedly wear a lot of layers when I ski. wink )
latest report
purplegirl wrote:
I find that my lower back below my waistline gets chilled,

you mean your arse is always freezin'?
snow conditions
Thornyhill, women's arѕes are always cold . . . direct connection to their hearts don'tcha know wink
snow report
Best option would be back protector. And I guess I don't need to mention, it has also other benefits Wink
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
Thornyhill, women's arѕes are always cold . . . direct connection to their hearts don'tcha know wink

At least we do our thinking with our brains Toofy Grin
snow report
Wear a belt?
snow report
Zero-G wrote:
At least we do our thinking with our brains Toofy Grin

[Citation Needed]
ski holidays
You clearly need the sort of ladies underpants that can be found in the senior section of BHS, the waist ideally should end up slightly under your chin or Adam's apple
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy