Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas with kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My brother and his family are tentatively suggesting we join them for a xmas ski trip in 2013. They have skiied occasionally (kids will be 10 and 13 by then). I'm not tied to school holidays so have avoided that time up to now, but it maybe a better place to spend xmas than the London suburbs, (and wouldnt eat into my ski holiday allowance!)

Not yet thought about budget - does it have to be horribly expensive?

Any suggestions/recommendations welcomed!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1gunsalute, Christmas is not as expensive as New Year or Half Term weeks and often a good bit less. More to think about is where to go, as it's still pretty early for good snow, although the past year or two has been good at Christmas. Look for resorts with good snow records at that time of year, north facing and /or tree-lined slopes, as well as something to do if not skiing. I can only speak about France and some resorts make a big fuss with the festivities, others less so, but the children may not need as much in the way of Santa on his sleigh etc. Consider too, if you'll want to self-cater or go catered. Most catered chalets WILL make a fuss for Christmas with traditional food, a Christmas tree and decs etc. I'd rather be skiing in that week, than the following week, and certainly rather be skiing than watching rubbish telly and eating my own body weight in sweets Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'd rather be skiing in that week, than the following week, and certainly rather be skiing than watching rubbish telly and eating my own body weight in sweets

Hear Hear. Christmas is infinitely better in the Alps than in the London suburbs. If it can be an extra ski holiday, go for it. But if it's your only holiday, it's not a good time. Days as short as they come, snow statistically less likely to be good than later in the season. A big family party can be great - if you rent one nice big apartment between you, you can do your own Christmas festivities without it breaking the bank.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. I was thinking that snow quality won't be so important because we will be spending most of the time on piste laughing at my brother falling over. Most resorts seem to have enough snow-making facilities for that even if not enough real stuff by then.
Kids will be more intersted in presents than Santa. But with short afternoons it would be nice to have skating or suchlike for apres ski entertainment.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most resorts have something extra; skating, snow cats, tabogganing, out door pools!

It is the best place I've ever spent Christmas and I work on Christmas day (although time off for skiing in the middle of the day!! Very Happy ) snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Most resorts seem to have enough snow-making facilities for that even if not enough real stuff by then.

the only time I've experienced really rubbish conditions at Christmas (I think it was Christmas 2002) snow-making facilities were irrelevant because it was warm and raining.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not missed a christmas for years now. You actually save money by not spending on all the stuff you normally do at home. Slopes are often empty in the days before and don't start to fill up till boxing day or after. If you did sat to sat this year you'd have the place to yourselves for most of the week. What better present for your friends than a picture sms from the slopes on christmas day Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You actually save money by not spending on all the stuff you normally do at home.

We certainly do, as an alpine Christmas equates to our christmas present to ourselves (when we first did it with kids, that was made quite clear, and they were more than happy, on the one condition that they didn't have to sit 3 up in the back of the car for 12 hours). It's such bliss, not bothering with giving or receiving presents. A present in itself, in fact. But we spend at least as much on food and drink as we would at home, and a lot more on ski passes. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy