Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's your best price for a ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so a few years back I always used to say that to people that it was possible to go skiing for a week for £500. Admittedly this was a good few years back, but I'm just wondering what do you expect to pay to get a holiday, is £500 still do able?

It would need to include

be a week in a good resort that people know of (i.e. not bulgaria, or some local hill that only 6 people and dog know of)
flights
transfers
liftpass
accommodation
breakfasts
dinners

Does not have to cover
ski hire,
lessons
spending money
ski in ski out or fancy luxuries..

It needs to be of a level that a middle class, mid thirties, guardian reading couple would be willing to accept, they'll accept late / early flight, but not dorm style accomodation. (I was about to say this not me, but actually it might be)

Just wondering really, I think £500 is no longer realistic, but are we talking, £600, or £800?

not looking, just wondering really...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It really depends on the resort and if you can leave it very last minute. If you get a late package deal with a Tour Operator like Crystal, Neilson or Inghams you can still get it for that price staying in a chalet or chalet hotel, where meals and afternoon tea is provided in a cheap resort. Tough though! I think £700 is what I would expect...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BenAS wrote:
Just wondering really, I think £500 is no longer realistic, but are we talking, £600, or £800?

not looking, just wondering really...

BenAS, use questionnaire marsupial or summat and tell 'em you're a sports science/management/marketing student doing a survey for your thesis. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 19-11-12 16:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Possibly without the lift pass - just been made aware of an HB hotel, F & T, ski in/out in large French resort for under £450 in late Jan.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Week prior to end-of-season week to La Plagne, this year.

£449 for flights & accomodation & usual catered chalet food/drink (Includes £25 for snowboard carriage, £25 security charge)
€217 6-day liftpass (about £180 or so)

so £629, with SilverSki.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BenAS, £369 Chalet Alteposte, St Anton, 2011 Easter with SkiWorld. Had to go out of Gatwick though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very easy if self catering, but if its a package & not Bulgaria then I'd say £600min now, I always look but the last trip & the upcoming are self catering due to that reason

Self catering I'm doing everything but food for £340, Grand Bornand.
Could have done the same at Les Gets & Morzine for £410, again everything but food
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year we paid £751 each for flights (from Bristol - didn't have to trek to Gatwick etc), transfers, 4* hotel inc b/fast & dinner, lift pass & equipment hire (including upgraded skis & boots), in Soldeu, & overall we were pretty pleased with that - hotel & food were excellent.
This year is marginally more expensive - working out at £763 each for similar package in hotel in Bardonecchia, (again inc ski & boots upgrades), but can't comment yet on the quality of hotel or resort. Both booked thru Crystal, taking advantage of various discounts on offer at time of booking Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This January paid £1400 for my family (myself, wife and 3 kids - 8, 11 and 14 at the time). Included flights from Glasgow to Salzburg, transfers and half board accommodation in niederau. I normally pay not much less than that for 5 flights from Edinburgh to Innsbruck. Cracking deal from crystal IMO.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rocket ski are (were - might have gone by now) doing christmas weeks at £419 - add on £200 for a lift pass and you;re on £600, which is about the least I'd expect to pay
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can get the whole lot for that budget with Action Outdoors at UCPA centres in France - some centres have double rooms available for not a lot of extra dosh (Flaine is one).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, Brilliant deal - enjoy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm off for a week in Les Arcs for £399 excluding food but including everything else. I've seen last minute deals go for £350 all inclusive! Definitely are a few floating about.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christmas week last year, £660 half board, 3star hotel Wagrain. This included some youth lift passes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last year I did flight, transfers in an MPV, lift pass, catered chalet, one night eating out (when the staff had a night off) for roughly £540 each. Mind you, we did book two days before we flew.....

The holiday was £299 and we paid £20 baggage charge for a board bag. Lift pass was about £190 and we ate out one night and that cost about £40 = £560

BenAS wrote:
....just wondering really, I think £500 is no longer realistic, but are we talking, £600, or £800?...

It's interesting you say this - base price has obviously crept up with inflation (etc) but I'm not sure if 'late deals' are as cheap as they used to be - sometimes I look and think "f*** me, that's cheap' and other times I'm not so impressed. I keep questioning my tightness and my ability to find a deal Smile

Obviously, early season weeks can often provide amazing bargains, even in pricey resorts. One year I did the opening week in Val D'isere - accommodation with flights, transfers and food was about £350 and the Espace Killy lift pass was on a special pre-season price for about £110... now, that was a bargain holiday.
latest report
Quote:

base price has obviously crept up with inflation

and the weakness (until it started to be reversed just recently) of the pound against the euro
ski holidays
boabski,

We've got a similar cost to you for Christmas week this year. HB hotel including lift passes for about £1400, free flights with Avios (would have been about £440 if we had to pay for them), £200ish for transfers. With free flights, about £400 each, without it would have been £500ish. We could possibly have got cheaper transfers, but the rail tickets we have allow a lot of flexibility during the week (8 days actually). Not the best resort, but a short train journey from some good ones wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

base price has obviously crept up with inflation

and the weakness (until it started to be reversed just recently) of the pound against the euro

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Despite forking out a fortune for them, Euros still feel like monopoly money Laughing
ski holidays
Specialman wrote:

Despite forking out a fortune for them, Euros still feel like monopoly money Laughing

And tend to be spent the same way too.... Laughing Embarassed
snow report
Best we had was neilson to la rosiere end of January, catered chalet, ski in/out flights, transfers £339 plus lift pass was a tad over £500 snowHead during term time we always get a good deal, you have to spend time searching though.
snow report
the PSB includes everything on your list but flights for £433. It was cheaper back before the hotel got full.
squeezyjet say £73 return so that would be £506 all in unless you bring skis or other luggage, breath, board the plane or pay for the flight.
BA say £114 though and that's probably close to what you'd pay. So that's a realistic £547
latest report
BenAS, can get a very cheap deal if you book last minute

From Esprits web site today

16/12/2012 Chalet Silvia in Selva Val Gardena, Family 4 £999 Accomodation Only!
16/12/2012 Chalet Pepi Gabl in St Anton, Family 3 or 4 £1599!
16/12/2012 Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines in Belle Plagne, Family 3 £1799 Room!
16/12/2012 Chalet Hibou in Peisey-Les Arcs, Family 3 £1099!
16/12/2012 Chalet Hermine in Peisey-Les Arcs, Family 3 £1499!
06/01/2013 Chalet Justine (La Chaumiere Chalets) in Les Gets, 1 adult & 1 child £999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Karine (La Chaumiere Chalets) in Les Gets, 1 adult & 1 child £1199!
06/01/2013 Chalet Wiesenheim in Selva Val Gardena, Family 4 £1799!
06/01/2013 Chalet Verwall in Obergurgl, Family 4 £1999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Verwall in Obergurgl, Family 5/6 £2199!"
06/01/2013 Chalet Alpenblume in Obergurgl, Family 4 £1799!
06/01/2013 Chalet Alpenblume in Obergurgl, Family 5 £1899 in main building!
06/01/2013 Chalet Alpenblume in Obergurgl, Family 4 £1999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Markus in St Anton, Family 4 £1699!
06/01/2013 Chalet Markus in St Anton, Family 5 £1899!
06/01/2013 Chalet Markus in St Anton, Family 6 £1999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines in Belle Plagne, Family 3 £1699!
06/01/2013 Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines in Belle Plagne, Family 4/5 £1999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines in Belle Plagne, Family 6 £2099!
06/01/2013 Chalet Hotel des Deux Domaines in Belle Plagne, Family 4/5 £1999 Suite!
06/01/2013 Chalet Christian in Alpe d'Huez, Family 4 £1899!
06/01/2012 Chalet Machu Picchu in Les Arcs 2000, 1 adult & 1 child £999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Olympus (Altitude Residences) in Les Arcs 2000, 1 adult & 1 child £999!
06/01/2012 Chalet Himalaya (Altitude Residences) in Les Arcs 2000, 1 adult & 1 child £999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Aiglon in Tignes, Family 4 £1999!
06/01/2013 Chalet Schatzi in La Rosière, Family 4 £1799

havea look at ski total as well

6th Jan - Arraba less than £500

Val D'Isere less than £575

and that's with over a month to go.

Your not looking very hard are you!
ski holidays
You need to get a deal, there's plenty out there for pre Christmas and early January deals are arriving, if you can also get a BOGOF lift pass it is comming in around £600. If you are oppotunistic you might get nearer to the £500 mark.
snow report
Is it even worth me posting if you are already anti Bulgaria!!! But we can come in at under £500 and we can cater for the mid 30's 'middle class, Guardian reading couple (in fact we have done it on quite a few occasions) and it is a resort people have heard about and we can even feed them food that is totally edible.
latest report
I suppose one cost that hasn't been mentioned is airport parking, which most of us will have to pay, not to mention the fuel.

As mentioned, there are tons of cheap deals but many only go from specific airports - Gatwick always seems to be packaged with really cheap deals - but once you've figured in the cost of parking and the fuel, it sometimes isn't worth the hassle when you can go from a more local airport. That's all providing the same holiday is available from your local airport...
snow report
Sunday Times was saying there are some TO package deals to be done now but don't expect many good last-minute-offers this season. Reason - bookings with TOs have been quite strong so they are discounting the balance now to be sure of filling the planes - then that's it. No more cheapies.
snow report
Just organised a holiday for me and my friends to Montafon St gallenkirch for 462 GBP inc. flights, tranfer, ski pass and accom.... seems pretty reasonable
snow report
Getting these special deals for less than £100 for each full (and sunny well pisted) day on the piste, requires that you live one tube stop from Gatwick or Heathrow.

For the rest of us, add on a return trip to a local airport (minimum cost £50), a return flight £100 plus return ski carriage £50. That is £200 additonal cost before you have even started on the package deal.

Sure, I suppose there are some overnight coaches which might make the return journey closer to £60 pp but is that what you consider a holiday with a significant other? (not one which would last another ski trip with you I suspect)

Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In January 2012 we paid £1118 for a Thomson package from Newcastle to Mayrhofen, including B&B, dinner in a local hotel and lift passes for the Ziller valley for 2 of us - booked about 2 weeks before. That is £559 each. We tend to drive and do self catering if we go for 2 weeks but get a package with catering if going for a last minute week. As we ski 6-7 weeks each season we keep costs down and look for more basic accommodation than if it was a once a season thing.
snow conditions
Glynis wrote:
Is it even worth me posting if you are already anti Bulgaria!!! But we can come in at under £500 and we can cater for the mid 30's 'middle class, Guardian reading couple (in fact we have done it on quite a few occasions) and it is a resort people have heard about and we can even feed them food that is totally edible.

Yes and I know that many of them return year after year to your chalet ( I've met them ) and really enjoy the fantastic conditions that I know Bansko has to offer.

I return every year for at least 3 trips and I have also skiied many times in France, Italy and Canada.
ski holidays
I'm going to Soldeu for a week over Christmas this year with my girlfriend who has not skied before & Soldeu is excellent for beginners. I have not gone through a travel agent, but have got everything separately. For return flights, return transfers, an apartment in a chalet 300m from the main telecabin lift, a Grandvalira full area ski pass (200km), ski equipment hire & 15 hours of ski school comes to the grand total of £570 each. We will just have to buy food, but it's a sole apartment with a kitchen in a privately owned chalet so we can cook for ourselves some nights. I've been to Andorra before and used most of these facilities before so I know that it is all good, except for the apartment which looks fine in the 8 photos I've seen. Last year I went with my 2 kids & it cost £1550 + food in another self catering appartment, so it can be done cheaply!
latest report
Dave Canski wrote:
Glynis wrote:

Yes and I know that many of them return year after year to your chalet ( I've met them ) and really enjoy the fantastic conditions that I know Bansko has to offer.

I return every year for at least 3 trips and I have also skiied many times in France, Italy and Canada.

I went to Bansko two years ago for the first time and absolutely loved it.
snow conditions
Last year catered chalet and flight in La Tania £259 lift pass £200
snow conditions
In December 2009 myself and husband went to Tignes for £550 each, flights, transfers, catered chalet, ski hire and Espace Killy lift pass. The same pre Christmas week last year to Meribel was £700 all in - inflation!!!
ski holidays
best value I ever had was at Chalet La Giettaz - think it helped as we were two families sharing, but still had loads of bang for our bucks
snow conditions
Sunweb do £49 deals.

Presume with a kilo of coke up your goldsmith.
ski holidays
March 2012, 2 weeks, Samoens
2 adults
4 year old, 3 year old
£3300 everything included:

Petrol, tolls, tunnel crossing, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, beer/wine, lift passes, swimming pool entry fees, ski school for kids, children's gear hire, trip to chamonix and mandatory t-shirt purchase

(i was not skiing due to knee surgery so add £300 for my pass)

Accommodation booked on Friday 16h30 for saturday 19h00 arrival
ski holidays
Have just booked up for Les Gets in January for 6 of us in a self catered chalet, with some early booking deals it has worked out per person:
£14 Airport Parking
£140 Flights (morning out/evening back)
£42 Transfers
£95 Ski/Snowboard Rental
£133 lift passes (8 days Les Gets-Morzine)
£185 Chalet (en-suite doubles)
£9 Insurance

= £618 plus food and beer money! Weather and Flights dependent we should get almost 8 days on the slopes for that Smile
ski holidays
That insurance seems good value.
snow report
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Sunweb do £49 deals.

Presume with a kilo of coke up your goldsmith.

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy