Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which new goggles ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, My 18 year old son has asked santa for some Oakley Twisted snow goggles. Here http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=53488 for £55. I have no idea about goggles myself, are these any good ? Or is there a better pair out there for this sort of money. I don't really know what makes a good pair. He ideally wants some that cover all conditions so he doesn't have to carry round several pairs.

Any ideas would be appreciated ! Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having interchangeable lenses is a good idea compared to having multiple pairs - no single lens can ever 'cover all conditions'.

I got Oakley Airbrake for the interchangeable lenses, but they're overpriced and the field of view is a bit iffy. Disappointing overall.

Those ones are a much more sensible price, but based on my experience with the Airbrake I'd be careful of the 'fits small to medium faces' claim. I'd have him try some on before spending any money... like I didn't Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get a pair with a photochromatic lens, they alter the VLT% to suit the light conditions, bolle do a pair with a range of 28-66% VLT which in laymans terms means they will be suitable for all but the lightest and darkest conditions. You can pick up a set of bolle nova goggles on eBay for £25 which are more than functional but not the 'coolest' looking goggles....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that. I was a bit worried about the small/medium thing myself. Can't help thinking you are paying a lot for the name !
I will have a look at the photochromatic lens ones, but for an 18 year old cool is far too important !!!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As has already been said, if you want one pair of goggles for all conditions you're better with interchangeable lenses.

At 18 I'd like to think he's done his homework and he knows what he wants. What he certainly will not want are Bolle goggles! Whilst they may be more functional, he will not be thanking you come Christmas morning if he was expecting a pair of Oakleys!

I have a pair of Oakley Ambush which are a similar price point to the Twisted so I would imagine are a similar spec. I've never had any issues with them, in fact I like them so much that I recently bought a new pair. The peripheral vision isn't the greatest but aside from that they're comfortable, durable and never fog. IMO Oakley make the best goggles. Yes you do pay more for the name and at the lower end of the Oakley price scale you may be able to get a similar product from a different company cheaper but it's worth noting that Oakley googles come with a lifetime guarantee against defects - there's a reason not many other manufactures offer that.

If your son has tried on the Twisted googles and they fit, I'd go for those. At the end of the day he's the one wearing them. If however, he hasn't tried them then I'd get him to do so before you fork out.T
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As above, probably best that he tries some on first if possible, or buy from somewhere with a good returns policy.

I bought my Oakley A Frames from here - http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/ - was happy with the price and service & returns policy is also good, and the goggles have been excellent so far, in pretty much all conditions.

If he wants the "cool" of Oakley, get him to do some research on their website re: lense tints etc, and then go from there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the reply's. I think he has done his homework and I think I will probably go for these and he would be disappointed with anything else I think. He tried them on but not with a helmet, so i will just check they can go back and go for it !!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also, buy goggles with spherical, rather than flat lenses. They really are just a bit better at not fogging up, and the lenses (as others have said) are interchangeable.

Oakley Crowbars are perfect.

Cheap ones to be found here:

http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/goggles-c78/oakley-m1
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Katie Smiler wrote:
What he certainly will not want are Bolle goggles!

Hey whats wrong with Bolle goggles?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gainz wrote:
Katie Smiler wrote:
What he certainly will not want are Bolle goggles!

Hey whats wrong with Bolle goggles?

Absolutely nothing. But to an 18 year old kid wanting to look cool...it's like the difference between a BMW and a Skoda.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Harry Flashman, why are the different Crowbar models such vastly different prices? (looking at Amazon).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I think some of the cheaper ones are motocross ones with clear lenses, so probably not much use to a skier. Otherwise, there can be quite a difference in price between lenses, and any that are "special edition" enjoy a mark up too (though I'm not entirely sure why).

Also, pretty much anyone can sell on Amazon, so if you're not sure who's selling and therefore where the stock is from... Buyer beware. Authorised resellers are listed on Oakley's website.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As a 21 year old boy I can speak from experience when I say give him what he asks for. My mum has frequently tried to change things I've specifically asked for to slightly different stuff and more often than not it's just irritating.

Mum, if you're reading I WANT these... http://www.snowtraxstore.co.uk/salomon-rocker-108-2013-marker-griffon-binding Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gdizzle wrote:
21 year old boy.

Man. You're a 21 year old MAN.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gdizzle, If your skiing in Scotland then a pair of skis with no edges to the tip and tail section is an interesting want Puzzled
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Harry Flashman, why are the different Crowbar models such vastly different prices? (looking at Amazon).

Pam - the motocross goggles are cheaper (and useless for skii-ing - single skin lenses so will fog, won't keep the cold out, flat not spherical lenses, wrong tints etc).

Other than that I think it's mainly do with the lenses. Iridiums are much more expensive than the standard grey or persimmon lenses. I'm a fashion victim, so like the Iridium tints. But the grey lens is actually good for bright conditions. Not a fan of persimmon though - far too orange and crude for low light.
ski holidays
Someone ran a thread about cheaper versions of googles a while back and mentioned the army standard issue googles which come with interchangeable lenses (can't remember what they are called at the mo'). I bought some and I was quietly impressed - less than half the price of the common brands (e.g. Oakley) with a vent system and individual cases to protect the spare lenses. Think you can get them on Amazon and /or fleabay. They are not as wide as some of the more expensive brands but they fit me well, are much better packaged and I prefer the options they give you (clear and bad light as well as bright light lenses) as standard with the option to get spares/alternates without buying a whole new pair. My new fave googles. Well worth a look.

Even so, I still go for sunglasses in bright, clear weather and googles for when it closes in. This set up also gives you some back up options

gdizzle, ffs - grow a pair.

Netballdi, wot piehole said - nothing really covers all conditions but googles with interchangeable lenses with UV A/UV B protection are the nearest thing. Certainly no single lens set of goggles will do the job. Fit is important so 'try before you buy'.
latest report
Thanks for all the suggestions. I myself prefer sunglasses in the sun and goggles in low light, which is what i may have to persuade him to do. We are off to try some on !
snow report
It's getting easier to change the lenses on goggles these days. Have you seen the lens quick release system on the Smith I/O goggles?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy