Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What size difference between your regular shoes/trainers and ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I was recently fitted for a pair of ski boots that are size 28.0/UK 9. I wear size 10-11 shoes/trainers and have been renting size 29.5 ski boots? Is this difference common?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
justatheory, Yep
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another yep!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boringly normal!!
We all tend to start renting boots not understanding how important they are. Often we are given or told to get boots a size bigger than street shoe- DOH!! We the uninitiated then try them for comfort not for performance, it is only as we progress and either buy our own boots or understand how important boot fit is as our own technique improves that we get it right.
I'm willing to bet that seasoned fitters like CEM often get people in boots 2 full sizes differant to the ones they have been used to! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IME, the nominal shoe size is only a rough starting point. With trainers, I find it’s there or thereabouts. With road cycling shoes, I have had to move up a half size to get the width and with ski boots, I’ve always had to move down a full size.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
justatheory, I take a 9 - 9.5 UK shoe size, my ski boots are a 26.5.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear size 10 shoes and used to get terrible blisters around my calves whenever I went skiing. I've since found that because I have VERY short, VERY fat feet, I had basically been steering my skis from my calves! Now I just ask for very wide ski boots in a size 7 & 1/2. I usually end up trying on 5 or 6 pairs before I get the right fit, but at least I don't go home with nasty painful blistered & bleeding shins & calves after a week of skiing. I know, I know! I should buy myself a pair of well fitted ones!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No Pain ... No Gain!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers guys, that's reassuring! I guess they need to be snug to get the precision. Can't wait to try them out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, my ski boots are at least a size "smaller" than my shoes - with some strategic "stretching" of the shell to accommodate lumps and bumps. If I rented boots, they'd have to be a size bigger, at least. Just make sure you have VERY thin socks, to start with. Silk is good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i measure 28.5 +++ (not quite 29) i buy a uk 11 in trainers and normal shoes, ski in a 28.5 (short shelled head raptor) and can easily fi into the new salomon X max in a 27.5 (which is listed as an 8 1/2 UK)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm the same, treat ski boots like climbing boots. I usually take 9.5 in trainers or shoes, 7.5 in my ski boots and they really do fit perfectly when in the skiing position.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Remember, with ski boots, they should be SNUG!!!! Not painful, but way, way tighter than you think could possibly be right. Why? Because these are not hiking boots, they are the main connection between your feet and the ski, transmitting your commands. Also, the soles do not need to flex around your foot as you use them, unlike shoes, so you're going to want a shorter size than you would use for other footwear. Third, the lining is going to pack. Almost all skiers end up with boots that are too big the first time around. The boots feel perfect in the shop, then the lining starts conforming, packing down, and suddenly they are ratcheting the buckles tighter and tighter and having pain and cold feet. They also end up sitting back in the boots early in their ski experience and get toe jam from their bad stance, convincing them the boots are too short. It's the stance is wrong and the boot is not snug enough to stop the foot sliding forward.

So buy boots that are the same cm as your foot, measured with a ruler, and maybe even a tad shorter if that length is due to some oddly long toe. Then have the fitter deal with protrusions after about ten days of skiing, minimum. If you truly can't bear the pain for 20 minutes, then maybe you'll need to go back for adjustments sooner, but I've always found that ten day rule of thumb to work. The shop should always have you do a shell fit first without the liner and measure the space behind your heel, only about a thumb width.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holy thread resurrection, nearly 10 years. Must be the longest stretch this season so far Twisted Evil @sebytaba, got any shoes yet?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
went to solutions 4 feet this wk previous boots were 28, new ones 26.5 but they fit so much better, tried my old ones on when I got home and they felt so sloppy, really impressed by how much time Keith took to get it right, with inserts as I have a high instep, as soon as I stood in them I felt in a better position with my weight forward cant wait to we get back to the mountains to try them out.
snow conditions
For more on exactly how ski boots should fit, you can listen to Colin Martin (owner of Solutions4Feet) covering this and plenty of other points in detail in Episode 161 of The Ski Podcast:
https://theskipodcast.com/podcast/161-the-ski-boot-special-how-to-choose-ski-boots-custom-insoles-boot-fitting/
https://audioboom.com/posts/8196297-161-the-ski-boot-special-how-to-choose-ski-boots-custom-insoles-boot-fitting
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy