Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Dec 16th - 19th - Closed - Help me sort my trip :-(

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name, Laughing Laughing Laughing

If you want a taster, look at this:

http://youtube.com/v/qLNay-k5s_Q&feature=related
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No way! I'm on holiday!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As the buses are running to Argentiere you'll be fine. Every time we've been to to Chamonix Valley we've stayed in Cham town (for the restaurants/nightlife) and driven or bussed to Argentiere where we've done most of our skiing. We did the odd day in Brevent/Flegere just to break things up a bit.

Like has been said above, the fact that top cable car at GM isn't open won't be a big problem, when it is open the queues are usually too long for us to bother anyway. If most of the runs are open and there is a bit of decent off-piste, Argentiere will be enough for your quick getaway IMO Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarver wrote:

Like has been said above, the fact that top cable car at GM isn't open won't be a big problem

The problem is that all the other lifts will be closed as well wink

OP.... i'd put a post on chamsocial maybe a week before you arrive asking if anyone wants to share petrol costs over to verbier. You might find that someone with a car fancies nipping over for a day and wants some company Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddiethebus, if it's open, why would the other lifts be closed? Puzzled

The top lift might remain closed if the crevasses haven't covered adequately. but if there's generally enough snow then the rest will be running as of the 8th.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For courmeyeur the SAT bus leaves outside Chamonix train station twice a day in the morning and brings you back twice a day in the afternoon. Book early though I'm guessing its going to be pretty busy...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
eddiethebus, if it's open, why would the other lifts be closed? Puzzled

The top lift might remain closed if the crevasses haven't covered adequately. but if there's generally enough snow then the rest will be running as of the 8th.

the OP gets into cham on the sunday (it'll be open then) but then they close again until the following weekend, there not staying open until the 22nd of december Smile The 8th of december is the date CMB have given for partial weekend opening.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eddiethebus,

Not according to their website.

GMs opens Dec 8 full time after opening for weekends thru November snow permitting (oops).

Other domaines open dec 22.

See http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/fr/domaines-sportifs/les-grands-montets/horaires
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddiethebus wrote:

the OP gets into cham on the sunday (it'll be open then) but then they close again until the following weekend, there not staying open until the 22nd of december Smile The 8th of december is the date CMB have given for partial weekend opening.

Not been in Chamonix for the opening weeks for a few years but once GM opens it stays open and doesn't shut midweek from my experience. Just checked CMB website and it states partial opening, not partial weekend opening, on the 8th. Also possible weekend skiing before then if snow allows.

GM main piste is snow cannoned top to bottom so I'd have little worries of it opening on the 8th and if the snow is there other listed will open as prepared. The rest of the valley rarely rushes to open though!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Listed=Pisted, Damn predictive text!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At the risk of putting my neck on the line, I think thats wrong! Skullie

I hope i'm wrong though, i'd love to be able to ride everyday from the 8th!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yeah, actually Manic i think you might be right!

with any luck the snow thats coming down now might allow them to open this weekend as well, but knowing CMB i doubt they'll bother Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddiethebus,

No.

I am right!

Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well after the last 24hrs were hoping that CMB might open this weekend Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think Les Houches will be an option I'm afraid. We were hiking there at the end of summer and overheard the woman running the gondola say that the new owners of the lift company had already decided not to open before the Christmas weekend, regardless of snow conditions. I don't know how much clout the local hoteliers and bar owners have in changing that decision if there's snow.... Sad

I hope it works out alright for you.
snow report
Guys,

Thanks for all this information! I am hoping that the recent snow will stick and by the 16th they'll be some skiing! I'll take the advice on the chamsocial forum and see if a car share is an option for verbier, that would be great as I love that domain. Also the bus sounds good to Courmayeur, I'll make sure I take some plimsoles as I'm staying in the Alpin and I think that's quite a walk?

If I have to ski the GM's for a few days then that's fine, I'll be happy to get away from UK life and spend some time in one of my favourite resorts.

Yes OK it's not linked, smallish areas, but come on Chamonix, is a great place to ski.
snow conditions
Hey mate - some good news....

http://www.chamonet.com/events/news/chamonix-ski-season-gets-an-early-start?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
ski holidays
Karl Wooffindin, good news re Les Houches, but GMs was always planning on opening this weekend.

Not sure where Chamonet had an epic season last year but it wasn't the Alpes du Nord Twisted Evil
snow report
This is great news! Hope other areas open soon too!
ski holidays
Did anyone ski Chamonix this weekend? Would love to hear about the experience!
ski holidays
I'm sure the experience was great. They've had about 150cm over the last week. Headed there in ten days, myself. Should be some great splitboarding.
snow report
mrlossyman, there is lots of snow.

Les Houches was not terribly busy. GMs looked busier on the webcams.

It was cold. And foggy. This may change.

I had a sore back. This will change.

I am not sure how this helps you.
snow report
Doesn't help me but it sure sounds more promising! You there next weekend?
snow report
mrlossyman, here are some photos of Les Houches on Saturday and then one from Sunday. Quite simply amazing for this time of the season and I am sure you will have an awesome time, whatever skiing it is you are going to be doing!

L'Ecole Ski Area

Skiing through the trees - stunningly beautiful.

Some of my tracks under the Maison Neuve Chair

Still shot from my GoPro of skiing under the Maison Neuve chair about to be 'engulfed' by a snow wave!

On piste conditions...

Some Sunday piste skiing to calm down. Great piste conditions Smile
snow conditions
Wow that looks incredible! Especially the last pic. When I was in Cham in march earlier this year the snow wasn't as good as your pictures suggest it is now. I've never ventured to houches so am looking forward to trying that area out. It's amazing just how quickly the snow has come as a week or so ago I was looking a rocky slopes! My hope now is that the lift company opens up brevent or flegere too! Wishful thinking I am sure! Thanks for posting the pics, weather looked good too!
snow report
mrlossyman, the snow is pretty darn good under any metric, quite unusual given the time of year. Fingers crossed it stays cold.

Bit windblown in places, so cover is not quite perfect - but is it ever?
latest report
It certainly looks like staying cold this week so very promising for next weekend. Anyone have any tips for good places to eat and drink for a solo traveller?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy