Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley lenses for bright light and sensitive eyes

Poster: A snowHead
I am considering goggles for bright sunny days. I have a pair of Oakley Stockholms in persimmon which fit me and my helmet, so that's fine. They are ok in flat light, but not dark enough for use in the sun. I have pale blue eyes which are quite sensitive to bright light, so my sunglasses are cat 3, and I am trying to work out which is the best lens to go for. I think I am after something just for bright conditions rather than mid to bright, because as soon as the light is brighter than flat, to me that is bright, and the dark lenses come out.

Various Oakley resellers (and Oakley themselves) have guides on lens tints, but the information is quite contradictory. Some sources suggest that fire iridium is best, others emerald iridium (this has lowest light transmission as far as I can see), or black or gold iridium, or even plain dark grey.

Unfortunately there are no local stockists round here, and I'm not sure that I'll get the full appreciation of the different tints looking out into the grim north of England. Does anyone have a similar experience and can make a recommendation, or work in a shop that has them and can actually see the differences?

I know there are loads of goggle threads round here, before anyone chirps in about the search button, but they mostly pertain to flat light Confused

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If your eyes are sensitive and you want to avoid "pink eye" I would choose Vuarnet not Oakley.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For Oakley, light sensitivity and snow, I'd suggest that a Black Iridium (Snow variant) lens would be the best pick.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarlet, I have pale green eyes that are very light sensitive. I use the Oakley emerald iridium lens for bright days and it works really well (after trying fire and black iridium and grey) – it's the most comfortable my eyes have been on very bright days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this is the best online guide to Oakley lens tints I have found: http://www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/index.php?_a=oakley_sunglass_lenses - you can sort it for transmission levels etc - just note that the lens tint may not be available for your goggles.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oh and remember to pick the Goggles tag!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If its a bright sunny day ... don't wear goggles!
Wear shades !!!

Save the goggles for sh33t days.
Skiing is a sport about posing and that means a chance to wear shades.
If your into Oakley ... then the Jupiter clear frame with blue iridium is the posseyist shade you can ever wear.

If you want the best shades for skiing ,,, find a shop that can let you try Serengetti with Sedonna lenses.
These lenses are the best for skiing they are sort of pink which accentuates differences in white for flat light days.
The best frames for skiing were "summit" ... I don't know if they are a current style ... I bought a few pairs on eBay a couple of years ago.

For the goggles just get the ones that you can see through when its nearly dark.
I hope this helps (probably not what you wanted to hear!)

If I were to buy goggles I'd go for the Salomon X12 ..but its a waste of time for me ... I need prescription lenses now and my vast collection of sunglasses is now redundant Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oakley have got a free iPhone/iPad app if that's any use to you Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

For the goggles just get the ones that you can see through when its nearly dark.
I hope this helps (probably not what you wanted to hear!)

Erm, did you read the bit about wanting goggles for light sensitive eyes?

I too have a (rather too) large collection of Oakleys finest offerings, but for skiing, I go straight to my Crowbars. (Black Iridium for sunny days, Persimmon when not. Spare lens in jacket if it looks changeable!)

Oh, and a pair of sunnies in a pocket for posing at lunchtime! Custom Holbrooks are my current pick. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn wrote:
If its a bright sunny day ... don't wear goggles!
Wear shades !!!
If you're light sensitive, skiing with sunglasses won't cut it. The glare leaks in all around sunglasses lenses and you'll still end up with red, scratchy eyes at the end of the day.

DrLawn wrote:
I need prescription lenses now and my vast collection of sunglasses is now redundant Sad
You only need to be seen when posing, you don't actually need to see Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mishmash, Thanks, I saw that chart but hadn't noticed the link for goggle lenses - makes a lot more sense now as the tints are different for sunglasses. Echoing Zero-G, it points to emerald iridium being the darkest...

DrLawn, My Oakley sunnies are strictly for low-velocity activities as I don't have the best reputation for keeping them intact! I have been skiing in a comparatively cheap pair of Sinners, but they're just not that comfy under a helmet, and I'm bound to land on my face or scrape my ski edge down them while they're fastened to my jacket and I'm queuing for a lift. Ahem. And they don't keep the wind out.

Oh and contact lenses? Then you can wear anything you like.

gad, Ah yes, I know one of the photographers Cool

Carlos the Slackal, Posing at lunchtime you say? I may have to rethink my packing.

Zero-G, You understand! It's worse with contacts in too, as they dry your eyes out anyway.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use Emerald - replaced my (broken) fire lens with them, and they are the best on sunny days. Wierdly, I haven't found any point to their polarised lenses on snow - not much glare cutout, but you get odd rainbow effects.

Of the variousOakley lenses I skied with on piste, the best have been Emerald, Black and Fire Iridium (in that order).

My low light lens is a G50 Iridium - really good, and fine for changeable/medium days too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harry Flashman, I'm definitely leaning towards the emerald. I looked at the polarised offerings, but the price jump is huge so I was hoping to do without.

I bought the persimmon originally because the shop I was trying on in only had that one model that fit me and they only had a choice of pink or orange (persimmon), so it was a bit of a stab in the dark tbh. I'll consider other options if they get knackered and I have to replace the lenses, so thanks for the tip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Skiing is a sport about posing and that means a chance to wear shades

There's little less posey than wearing shades with a helmet.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DrLawn wrote:
Skiing is a sport

<Rant>
An oft-repeated mistake. For the vast majority of skiers & boarders, most (if not all) of the time, skiing / boarding is a past-time or a leisure pursuit. It is not a sport.

<Rant>
snow conditions
Harry Flashman, I have a polarised lens that I use for partly cloudy days - have found that it does reduce glare compared to the same lens that is not polarised but they both transmit the same amount of light.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy