Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How long do boots last?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I love my Salomon Evolution 8 boots which I've had for about 15 years, but last night was recalling an incident when one of our group had his very old boots break on him while belting down La Face in Val D'Isere. My boots have had quite a lot use in very cold (-30 and colder) conditions, so worrying about possible embrittlement of the plastic, do you think that they have much more life in them?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Posidrive, They're pretty old and not terribly fashionable any more.

IME, I reckon a set of liners gets around 120-150 days (i.e. A full season) and shells 2-3 times that ir until they become really unfashionable. YMMV.

Some boots (Technica TNT Explosion for example) have a reputation for exploding. Saw a pair of 15 year old Raichles explode on the first day of a heli skiing week. That was very nearly an expensive outing for someone.

Maybe change your title to, "Are my boots about to explode?" and one of the pro boot fitters may chip in with some proper advice.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 16-11-12 11:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Posidrive, They're pretty old and not terribly fashionable any more.

So just like me then Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My hubbies Evolution 7 were only about 10 yrs old when one of the buckles broke in 2010. We were in Courcheval but none of the shops carried the part due to the age of th boot.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ, I am speculating cos I can't recall the details of that boot but I have a perception that boots aimed more at intermediate/advanced have proprietary buckle designs to help with inbuilt obsolescence, whereas race boots f'rinstance have simpler designs that are more readily interchangeable (possibly as someone who wants/needs them is going to wear them out quicker and thus more profitably to the manufacturer).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends on the number of ski days. I pack out a pair of linings in 2 years, or about 90 - 100 ski days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My last pair did 20 years at upto 25 days a year. Once the linings had compressed they stopped getting any worse. In the end the heals were just too worn.

Unfortunately in the meantime ski boots have become very wide and getting narrow fitting boots almost impossible.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnE, how much narrower do you need than 95mm?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:

Unfortunately in the meantime ski boots have become very wide and getting narrow fitting boots almost impossible.

think you might eb looking in the wrong places, there are more and more 98mm lasted boots available that are not full race boots then fo course there are the 95mm race lasts and if you need a very stiff very naroow boot Rossi/lange make a race boot in 93mm last
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

think you might eb looking in the wrong places,

Yes was. I now have boots that fit, but it took a while.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyone have any idea if you can re-use a custom footbed in new boots?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Providing the fit in the new liner properly and are still structurally sound, no reason why not.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Posidrive wrote:
Anyone have any idea if you can re-use a custom footbed in new boots?

if well made then no problem, make sure it not only fits the liner of the new boot but is not thrown off level by any shaping of the base board, it (should) have been checked when fitted to the first boot and the base board material levelled out to get rid of any bumps/arch contour etc this needs to be done in the new boot too, many base boards are completely flat (excluding the ramp angle built into them) but others have all sorts of weird contours
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You are missing the obvious solution - surgery. This is all part of a cunning plan by the surplus plastic surgeons to creat new 'sandel' orientated practices for the global warming era. Pimped feet will take over from vajazzles as the latest 'thing'. It's known as the 'Dr Scholl' initiative - ski boot 'fittings' are just a side line for them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy