Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sport tube or padded bag

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Having recently purchased my first set of ski's, next on the list once I get paid is a bag/case for them.

What are peoples opinions on which is best for transporting ski's to resort?

Is a sport tube worth the extra spend or will a padded bag be more than adequate for the job?

Cheers

Enda
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought a 2nd hand tube on ebay last year (for £30!) and just sold it on ebay again for £67 Very Happy Goes to show seasonal buying and selling really affects price! Anyway.... the reason I sold it is that it takes me over the weight limit for ski carriage, the case weighs about 5 Kg I think.

I looked around at loads of ski bags including ones claiming to be 'padded'. Most of the padding is pretty poor so if you want some protection get this bag and for extra maybe chuck some clothing in the bag as well. I'm very particular about what I buy, always insist on trying to get the best function weighed up against a reasonable price - this bag fits the bill nicely. Was pretty much the only one I found that has padding top to bottom, a lot only have a bit of padding in specific places:

http://lineskis.com/bags/ski-bag-1213

Not that cheap but less than the tube/hardcase and will not take you over your weight limit.

I've heard stories that insurance companies will only pay for ski damage if you transport using a hard case - I'm pretty sure that's not true, I checked with mine and there is no problem using a soft case. Hope that helps a bit!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://theoutdoorgearshop.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Line_Ski_Bag.html?gclid=CLX50tnS0LMCFe_MtAod90UA-Q
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a tube ages ago, they aren't immune to damage themselves. I'd just use a cheapo bag if I were you.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My garage is lined with old snowboard bags. They're like ski bags only more expensive and better built. I even have an Atomic bag intended for carrying race skis around the world which isn't sold to consumers. They're all lining my garage because the baggage handlers destroy them. The final straw came about 6 years ago when I got to SFO (and airport where you have to pay for trucks), and my brand new top-of-the-line wheely bag had had the handle ripped off the end on it's maiden voyage. If you've ever tried to transport 23kgs of snowboard bag without being able to wheel it, you'll get the idea that I was not happy.

The solution was 1 Sport Tube, which I bought in Denver because that's where I was going and they were much cheaper there like everything else. That got me home, and I've used it dozens of trips since then and it's tatty but 100% as good as when I bought it.

"Will a padded bag be more than adequate?": Not for me, see my garage walls for the evidence.
"Is a sport tube worth the extra spend": it's hugely cheaper. I have maybe 10 old padded bags, one current Tube bag.

Advantages:
- will never, ever, let you down.
- takes stickers
- more secure
- lasts indefinitely

Disadvantages:
- weighs a bit more than a padded bag
- harder to pack and unpack

Some airlines will try to disclaim liability for soft oversized bags, but my reading of the law on that is that it's BS: if they damage your bag, then you can certainly claim from them. That's of little consolation when you're on a trip and your gear is trashed. Me, I don't want to worry about this stuff, I need something that works.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We had a dakine double wheeled padded ski bag which we sold and got a sport tube, wouldn't go back to the bag now. Used to spend ages packing it so well to protect the skis, and whilst they never got damaged everything always moved around in it anyway. Sport tube easier to wheel around too, you can close it down to the length of your skis instead of end of bag being flexible.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have used a double sport tube for years and there is no sign of damage. They are a bit fiddly to load and heavier than soft bags but once packed they are very very good. They are particularly good for strapping to the roof of the car since there isn't the flapping you get with soft bags and the handle just drops over the cross bar of the roof rack meaning they are only a few minutes to attach. Since the length is adjustable you don't get the 30cm or so of empty bag at the end.

My advice is that if you can afford it and have space to store it then go for the rigid tube.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use a bag, I'd never be able to fit one of those tube things in my car.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree the hard cases are better for definitive protection but if it takes you over the baggage allowance what then? The budget and charter flights are doing everything they can to squeeze more money out of passengers nowadays and you know they aren't going to let passengers get away with being over their allowance. Especially when you'd really have no choice but to stump up the extra money or leave your skis behind.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tubes- Better protection
Weigh more
Can't get much other than skis in them.
Bags- Lighter
Can be stuffed with clothing
Less protection
Personally I prefer bags.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy