Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What effect does a patched base repair have on dry slope speed?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

Am looking at buying a pair of skis that have had a patched base repair for dry slope racing. Before doing so I was wondering whether it had any affect on speed and if I should look elsewhere or if it doesn't really matter?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah, My worry would be the effect of heat build up in the base on the repair.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timmaah, If it is done well as in a full proper patch, you should have no issue. Petex candle repairs have a tendancy not to hold on dry slope.

A proper patch done welll you will find hard to indentify on a base. If you can see it clearly in an advert photos I would avoid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timmaah, how much are they going for & what are they? They should be fine if they've had a patch done properly, I don't think speed will be an issue but if its a candle or welded repair it won't last more than one or two sessions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is a patch repair done by one of your high street shops, the patch is easily identifiable, and its 150 for some fischers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmaah, If it is that Identifiable in photos's I woud avoid personally, I have seen patch jobs done on skis mine included where you would have to look very close to be able to see it.

The patch job was not done by me NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, doesn't sound a particular bargain to me....unless it is a full spec race ski ??

Just had a quick look on ebay, storm infernos available for £170 inc bindings....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmaah, so the next question really would be how much of the edges are left and what condition/age are they & how big is the patch, if they are in good condition will lots of edge left and if the patch is relatively small they could be worth making an offer on and get a proper repair done.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If its for dry slope racing, the only thing i have found to hold long-term is Araldite, P-tex tends to disappear the first time you run out of wax or it gets really hot!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fairly sure it's the RC4's, but I've found those new for 350.. apparently they've got around 60% edges. I think I might just give it a miss, I've managed to loan some race skis from a uni friend so those will do for now! From the pictures the patch is just from a rock, looks about a few inches long.

Thanks for the feedback, am pretty useless when it comes to knowing which race skis to get!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy