Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for buying ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy my first pair of ski boots, as I want to start getting into skiing more and figured that's a good place to start.

Now the problem I have, is that I have this idea that as I get better at skiing, I'll be looking at going off piste, back country skiing and touring. I've been trying to work out what is the best way for me to go boot wise, but I've not really been able to find the info and I'm kind of not 100% of the correct terms to look for.

I guess my question would be, is there such a boot that can do the above, without being a problem for someone relatively new to the sport? I've seen posts about certain boots won't release like normal piste boots. But I'm sure I've seen a post about boots with different soles/clips (not sure of the correct term).

I'm planning on getting myself over to a couple of shops to have a look at boots, but I just want to get a idea of what I'm looking for.

If anyone has any suggestions, of sites for me to have a good read, I'd be very grateful.

Apologies if this sort of question gets asked a lot.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dead simple, go to a decent boot fitter (tell us where you are based and we can probably suggest someone) tell them all of the above, answer their questions about your skiing honestly and let them do their job and pick the best boot to fit your foot and skiing. Don't go with a set idea of what you want as chances are it won't be the best fit for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice, I've been avoiding looking at boots, as I know what I can be like when I see a pair I like the look of. I'm around Manchester, I can see that BackcoutryUK has been recommended, I've another place, MountainFeet on my radar, not sure about Snow and Rock.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
onfirealot, You have one of the best boot fitters not too far from you at Rivington Alpine. I've had boots fitted here and my son had them fitted last Saturday. Here's a report I wrote after the Saturday visit. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68061&start=120#2139489

Go there and tell Graham what you want out of a boot and you will get top class advice. It's only just off the M61, so should be easy for you to get to.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The majority of places will sell you a boot, not all places will sell you the right boot. If as you say you can get "buyer happy" then i would suggest the following....

Let this question you posed above run for a while as you will get, if you are lucky, plenty of responses and suggestions.

Once you have better idea of what you think you want, ask the question again specifically about what you want to do in skiing terms and your skiing level.

Perhaps speak directly with some of the more experienced people here, some of whom are in the trade as most of them in my view will give you honest advice.

Go and see someone recommended around here, whether it be a specific person at a specific chain retailer or a suggested dedicated bootfitter. Talk to them and then see what they suggest or recommend, then perhaps speak to someone else before buying.

Now i am not very experienced on boot selection for specific uses, but it sounds from your OP that you may be fairly new to skiing, if so it may not be wise to go for a boot that can do everything as this may compromise other areas of your learning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As geepee, says Rivlington are a great fitter, or if you want to go with one of the big chains go to whoever is at Chill Factore, more chance of finding someone who knows what they are doing in snowdome branch than on the high street in my experience.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been on your journey, starting with alpine boots later finding out they were too big and from a crap boot fitter, then getting a full backcountry ski/boot set up with Scarpa Denalis (stiff touring boots), and finally enjoying some Black Diamond Factors; stiffish freeride (not sure what that really means) boots. I'm keeeping the Denalis for touring but the Factors enable me to ski (and learn) a lot better off piste.

Your OP hints that you are looking to get one boot to do it all, in which case you would be looking at freeride boots with interchangeable alpine/touring soles - plenty of choice from Backcountry UK (excellent shop). However these arn't cheap (twice as much as alpine boots!) and will still be a bit heavy/cumbersome for touring - a more pragmatic option may be to get alpine (downhill) boots from a good bootfitter and work on your skiing (on and off piste) with approproate hired skis to improve your skiing as much and as quick as time and budget allows - then buy appropriate touring boots and skis for what you end up wanting to concentrate on.

The main priority should be to advance your skiing, my advice would be to get good alpine boots now and touring boots later either take a day off work and go to a good boot fitter in the UK MIDWEEK or go to a goot bootfitter in resort. Backcountry UK are very good but don't carry a lot of alpine boots. They know far moe about boots than I do or most Snowheads and are happy to discuss your needs over the 'phone (but not at weekends in November)

Good luck and have fun
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kevin Stephens, post makes good sense. If your technique isn't nailed down then getting boots which compromise one skill for the sake of the other will do you no good and make progress harder than it needs to be.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Rivington Alpine. Go see Graham and have a chat.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another shout out for Graham at Rivington Alpine - loving my new Dalbello's from them!!!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice all. Kevin Stephens You're pretty spot on really and bought the boots I was looking at Very Happy. I was expecting this kind of advice to be honest, but just thought I'd see if there was a boot that could do it all and not compromise any skiing area.

I think I'll have to see about popping over to Backcoutry UK or Rivlington to have a chat about the right boot for me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
onfirealot, No, all in ones don't exist, there is always some compromise (according to my guru).

As above, get appropriate alpines and add to the collection as required...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Save cash buy secondhand if you make a mistake they haven't cost much.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for Rivington Alpine... either Graham or Andy... both know their stuff.

8 to 10 minutes drive from either Junct 6 or Junct 8 M61 (Junct 6 is easier if coming from Manchetser)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy