Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend Trip in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - new to the board, hope this is not too general a question.

Organising weekend skiing in Europe seems to be a pain. Spent time in the States where it was all about the weekends.. ** sigh **

Anyway - we have been to Laax/Flims last year (good but a bit quiet in the evening), Lech/Zurs a couple of times (great skiing but very pricy accommodation), Neiderau (... just odd, though the Skiwelt was nice but a bit of a journey to get too)

I'm looking to get 7 of us away for a Thursday - Monday trip (Wednesday - Sunday at a push). Somewhere within 1 hour and 30 mins of Zurich, Innsbruck or Munich.

I'd really welcome any recommendations of hotels/chalet in a resort that has access to a reasonably sized ski area and a reasonable night life (bars and restaurants - too old for clubbing!!). We are a mixture of skiers and boarders and can get around most terrain pretty well.

Happy to talk to agencies too.

Any assistance greatly recieved

Peter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've just booked a Wednesday - Sunday trip to Mayrhofen. Flying in to Munich coz flights were cheaper (important for some) but I think Innsbruck is closer. Never been to Mayrhofen before but by all accounts it has good skiing and decent nightlife (too old for clubbing too but can be pursuaded after enough beers or schnapps wink Laughing )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
halfhand,
We are looking at a long weekend in Mayrhofen and I was just wondering if you could recommend any accommodation
Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pshear0, I'd guess that the ease of weekend skiing in the states is something to do with the relatively lower amount of holiday that people get from work out there (so I hear...). Weekend skiing is usually relatively expensive (flight costs defrayed over fewer days), so if they have the holiday most people will go for a week. Because of that it can be hard to find accommodation that is willing to put you up for less than a week.

Having said that, I probably do 2-3 weekends a year (though I've got 3 planned before Christmas so far...).

Accommodation depends quite a lot on time of year that you go and how busy the resort/town is at that point. March should be reasonable for most of the places you mention, but you'll want to aviod Easter like the plague (don't know when it is next year). You don't mention whether you're planning to drive, or use public transport - if you're driving then you really shouldn't have any problem finding accommodation in a village down the valley from your chosen resort. If the internet doesn't throw up likely options then try contacting the local tourist office.

A couple of random thoughts:

Innsbruck - Mayrhofen has been mentioned, but you could try staying in the city and heading to Neustift or Nordpark (and probably Axamer). I guess Innsbruck has some bars somewhere, and most of the resorts even have public transport that will take you up to them. When we did this we just stayed at the Ibis Hotel and drove up to the slopes in the morning. Solden might also be worth a look (can't remember how far it is).

Zurich - Andermatt and Engelberg are both pretty near and I think reasonably geared up to the weekend market. Never been to Eberg, but Amatt has a few bars (quiet when we were there, but so were the slopes). We've used the Gasthaus Skiclub in Andermatt, and it was ok, but nothing special.

Have fun!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pshear0, My experience of ski weekending in Europe is that it's as easy as pie.

(I could not count how many weekends we've done)

Why those airports?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lech.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve.S, Don't know about recommend (haven't stayed there yet wink ) but this is where we have booked http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p2008346?cid=E_Inquiry-T_NL_O_20120823_2008346-text1_Text_LDES_2#summary.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:

Lech.

Elaborate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Andermatt and Engelberg are great but the attraction is particularly the off-piste. A bit limited on piste for a week but perhaps OK for a long weekend.

You haven't said the sort of skiing you like. Mellow or challenging, off piste or mainly on?

Whitegold, the OP has been to Lech.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy