Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should I buy skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a relative novice having only started skiing last year, but feel I've made good progress in that time. I've spent a stupid amount of time in the fridge and had lots of lessons. I had private lessons on my holiday last year and will be taking more this year. In terms of level I would say I'm a mainly blue run skier and comfortable on some reds. I'm starting to get the feel for carving, short turns and the effects of shifting my weight on the skis.

This year (weather permitting), I hope get in a week in Aviemore and will be in The Alps for a week in March. Someone on this forum mentioned that Decathlon are doing Salomon Enduros + bindings for £199 and it has got me thinking that it might make sense to get my own equipment.

Would I better waiting and going on some more trips? How long do people wait before getting their own gear?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 18-11-12 15:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd never buy my own Ski's, technology changes, conditions change, where we Ski changes,and they are a pain to transport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think, for you, you'd be better off renting skis in resort, especially if you pay a little extra for the premium ones. You can also go back into the shop and try different skis through the week to see what you like.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dropping 100 quid on some off eBay might be a better bet than renting in Scotland, if the rubbish I was given at Nevis is representative...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Standee wrote:
I'd never buy my own Ski's, technology changes, conditions change, where we Ski changes,and they are a pain to transport.

I wouldn't disagree, but I'd chuck a different spin on it!

Ski's are like a car.. If you feel comfortable, you'll be more relaxed, know the limits and know how to work them. Which is kind of what you need whilst still perfecting your technique. What you don't need is ever changing ski's and having to worry about how they handle.

My advise - Rent some, find a model you like and feel absolutely comfortable with, then buy them Smile but be prepared to pay the carriage cost!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does the quality of rental skis tend to vary quite a lot from resort to resort? Last year I was given a pair of huge fat things that weren't very responsive, but I was green so I accepted what I was given. Is it generally worth paying extra for the intermediate/advanced hire skis Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
justatheory wrote:
Is it generally worth paying extra for the intermediate/advanced hire skis.

My view is yes. The price isn't supposed to necessarily equate with 'beginner, intermediate, expert' it's supposed to correspond to 'crap, reasonable, decent' - although I'm sure this argument has come up on sH before.

Pay the money, explain your level. Talk yourself up a bit, rather than down.

If you're unhappy with what you've got, take them back and ask for an exchange.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justatheory, ask for slalom skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think if you go more than once a year, it's worth having your own. Otherwise I'd rent. However demo as much as you can and don't waste too much money or be taken in by marketing spin.

They do pay for themselves over a few holidays, but you have to take into account ski carriage and servicing (unless you do it yourself).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
'crap, reasonable, decent' Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I meant the skis not the skier, in case that wasn't clear.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One week of skiing isn't really sufficient to really know what you want to get out of skiing or what sort of skis will deliver what you want. Personally I would delay buying skis until I had some idea what I wanted.

Ski carriage only really applies if you travel by air and some coaches. It has been 5 years since I have paid it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
justatheory, just buy them, life's too short! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Red ones are best, and the more the better wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I read this as "Should I buy More Skis?"

The answer is yes. wink
ski holidays
If you are skiing in Scotland regularly then it might make sense on a cost basis. Especially if you get a really cheap pair of skis. You can learn to take care of them yourself, which might help in ensuring that the binding settings are always checked and that you know what it costs to wax and sharpen your edges of skis.

So saving on ski carriage, waxing and edging costs. and hassle of lugging skis around vs hassle of waiting in long queues in resorts to get hire skis makes it a fine balance. As a learner going primarily for a week abroad each year by plane with a tour operator, I would hire and take my boots only.

If you want to ski on a local hill when the snow falls to practice turns, or head off for some good weather in Scotland, then buy a cheap pair as they will get knackered on rocks and bad snow coverage.

You can then learn how difficult it is to break skis, and consider whether insurance for covering this eventuality is worth paying for (especially if you get a bargain on ebay)

If you buy a second hand pair of skis, make sure you get the bindings checked out by an expert before you ski on them! You want to be sure that they work properly, and are not rusted damaged etc.

Laughing
ski holidays
If you are going to buy a decent 2nd pair and maintain the skis yourself - yes, if not - no. Simple.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy