Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Midlayer for touring - down or synthetic?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Time to replace my Helly Hansen Odin midlayer which has served me well for a few years, mainly on week-long ski tours in the Alps. Ideal replacement is minimal weight (less than 400g), small packing volume, and decent warmth for all season touring, especially the descents. I am looking at Facewest site and they have both Down and Synthetic. EG Marmot Qasar (down, 232g) and Mountain Hardwear Zonal (Synthetic 397g) Down is lightest and most packable but I have never worn it. I am told that it is not good in damp conditions. This can happen when snow turns to rain and I have had to dry out my HH overnight before now. So my question is - for touring trips should I stick to synthetic? Any specific recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Merino, i recommend Icebreaker 180 tee shirt, 260 mid layer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would use neither. If you need a warm mid, go for fleece. It is hard wearing, very breathable and dries very quickly if it gets wet. It is super quick to vent if you're too hot. It won't suffer from being squashed under a shell or rucksack (which means it won't wear out faster or insulate less effectively). A thermal pro high loft fleece top needn't be very heavy (my Rab Boulder pull-on is a bit over 400g, I believe) packs down well and is as warm as light synthetic (40-60gsm primaloft equivalent, I'd guess).

Down and primaloft makes for a much better overlayer to be thrown on at stops belay-jacket style... overlayers spend a good deal of time packed away so being very light and very compressible is a big plus. Chopping and changing mids is a hassle, and becomes impractical or downright hazardous in foul weather. Layers that stay worn all day don't need to pack down small and aren't such a burden if they aren't superlightweight and super-packable. Given a risk of rain, I'd definitely choose primaloft, but when it gets properly cold down is the way to go.

I generally wear a warm baselayer (powerdry, cos merino doesn't agree with my skin) and Paramo-type outers that breath well when I'm skinning up and working hard, and insulate like a light fleece and keep the wind out on the way down. They work nicely between +5 and -10 (and colder with the addition of a mid) and work excellently even in rain because they'll happily dry out when I'm moving.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy