Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it April 1st already?

Poster: A snowHead
Better not break an ankle or dislocate a shoulder in the UK! Good old NHS.

GUARDIAN REPORT

Skiers at Milton Keynes ...
Quote:
may have gone painfully home before attending their local hospitals with puzzling and unusual injuries for doctors working in Britain...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
From the Xscape site....
Quote:

How does [sic] the slopes deal with injuries?
We recognise that any sport is dangerous, and staff with a first aid qualification will be at hand if an accident was to occur.

Perhaps the NHS doctors could take some lessons....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"....For they had little experience in treating skiers and snowboarders, who broke feet, ankles, legs and wrists or dislocated shoulders"

WHAT, I've done three of those in the UK either playing Rugby or on the mountain bike. That must be B.S. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did they fit them back on the right way around? Wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, joking aside, they misdiagnosed my first dislocated shoulder and years later told me a double leg fracture and dislocated ankle was a sprain. Both times I was sent home after the NHS equivalent of a "cold spunge".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't be true, our leaders have always told us we have "the best health service in the world". They wouldn't lie, would they? You must have broken/dislocated them on the way home. Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's well known to hospitals in the catchment area of new plastic ski slopes that there's a steep increase in thumb sprains and dislocations when they open.

Just thought I'd add that cheery note!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, So book yourself into a hospital/clinic in France/Luxembourg/Switzerland etc well in advance before your first trip Wink

Was it Davidof who told me an interesting story about an allegedly expert off-piste skier who when first trying out an artificial slope, came a cropper, thumb in hole in run, result.... one broken thumb Shocked Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's perfectly credible. I even know a BASI trainer whose thumb came a nasty cropper on a plastic slope. New smoother surfaces such as Snowflex are coming in, which are claimed to reduce the problem because there's no grid.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like the way they say that injured skiers are hurting the NHS, effectively being a burden on the system.

Never mind the fact that the "typical" skier (and probably boarder) is relatively fit, active and probably a smaller proportion of us smoke than the UK as a whole.

Clearly more of a burden on the NHS than the 50-year old, severely obese, 60-a-day smoker, who requires a triple bypass and probably liver transplant a few years later, who has never seen the inside of a gym in his life.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The International Journal of Clinical Practice has kindly faxed me this article which features on the February issue (N. Aslam and P. Thomas: 58.1, 122-124)
The Int J of Clin Prac is not a well known journal and probably not the first journal the two authors approached. I have looked at articles from 2003; it is not a journal for articles on sports injuries or orthopaedic trauma. If this featured in our Journal Club it would be torn apart.
43 cases over one year seems peanuts, and would have hardly caused any problems to a hospital dealing with thousands of patients.
There are some interesting data, but nothing earth-shattering:
1. Mean age of the 27 boarders was 23yrs, of the 16 skiers was 34yrs
2. Over 80% of injured in both groups were male
3. Oldest injured (62yrs) was a boarder! (oldest skier 36yrs)
4. Snowboarders injured more upper limbs, skiers upper and lower limbs equally.
The last paragraph of the Guardian article is outrageous hype on the much more measued tone of the article. Nowhere do the authors suggest these are "puzzling and unusual injuries for doctors working in Britain". There is nothing unusual or puzzling about skiing/boarding injuries.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 24-03-04 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well skewered jonpim - what a load of bollox
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, It was pretty clear from the outset that the article was at best superficial. The NHS would have to be in serious trouble if it were to find a broken ankle puzzling and unusual!

Strange that the Guardian, of all papers, should be guilty of such silliness. More up to the Mail's standard's I would have thought.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I went into UCH casualty in London, having fractured my thumb at the Hillingdon slope. When I said I'd hurt my thumb, the nurse took one glance at it and said to me - "Dry Ski slope?". Didn't seem to come as much of a surprise to her!

And they got the plaster off in 3 weeks so I could get to the snow. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nurses are superstars and the unsung heroes of the NHS. Sorry Jonpim, so are anaesthetists!
ski holidays
I will second that, dont know about the gasman bit though ! (Joke, JP) Very Happy

MK Hospital also moaned that A&E admissions had risen when the roller rink opened as well.
snow conditions
Alastair, Thank you for your kind words about UCH (I also work there).
A&E nurses are of course super-human with encyclopaedic knowledge of all possible injuries. The UCH nurses may be extra well informed as the senior sister there is another skiing nut (like us). Unfortunately this lovely lady broke her ankle in Serre Chevalier last week on day 2 of her holiday trying to avoid a mad skier bombing down the piste out of control. Also broke her wrist. On behalf of Snowheads I am sending her some virtual flowers .
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy