Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro black - any good ??

Poster: A snowHead
Have you used one yet?
Is it any good?
Worth £360?

etc

Am thinking of getting one to film class for for bottom of run feedback. This should at least stop me having to use my mobile phoe and trying to freeze frame to show the student what they just did.

Plus. Where can I get one for less than £359.99 ? Mrs_W only gives me £5 per month pocket money Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gopro set the pricing I believe so will be the same everywhere.
Be warned battery life is about an hour without the bacpac from what people in the states are saying.
I have one on order, but they are not out just yet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boardpaul I know the stingy (triffty) SH's types will be able to find me one.
Season starts soon
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, depends where you buy it from I guess. It’s way cheaper in the states (grr), and at current exchange rates it’s <£320 in Switzerland. Not sure about Italy, but probably worth checking the prices there, or France maybe?

Apart from that, have a look to see if any British retailers selling it are listed on Quidco or Topcashback – that would get you a few quid back, eventually.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fixx, you'd have to pay import duty fees if you got it from Switzerland though. EU will prob be same price in € as it is in £.

You are unlikely to find massively reduced GoPros at the moment because its newly released. Unless the person selling them does not mind receiving Go Pro stock again. Ebay might be worth a shout though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne, I'd look out for the people offloading the HD2. Should be plenty sloshing about in the need to have the latest toy. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sh discount at edge and wax means its the cheapest I've found..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's 'supposed' to be a big improvement. Sounds like a normal hand held video camera might be better for you though, will have zoom (HD1 doesn't film at distance very well), no fish-eye, etc, and also easier to make sure it's actually pointing at what you want it to. Cheaper too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi. It IS a big improvement. Not just saying this to sell some, but the change from the HD to HD2 was more of a debug and usability thing, to the point that all our ski test cameras mounted on the boots and skis etc are 1st generation HD. The HD3 is a bit nuts though! Picture quality is vastly improved, as Clarky999 says, the built in lens flattener filter reduces the fish eye right down which has been an issue for us, and it is much easier to use than the 1st gen as the menus are easier to understand. The picture quality really raises the bar too, and it is packaged with some sensible brackets some of which have had a refresh. The black model with remote is amazing, as you can set the camera(s) up and switch on and off easily, but the Silver represents a great price if you dont need that remote, and can add it later. The app does a very good job too, it's great to be able to use it as a viewfinder for setup when its on your head, and it is free to download Smile

The touch screen bacpak has just been launched too!

The 1st UK delivery is already sold out. The second arrive just before (maybe a little to close to) Christmas, and that one will sell out too I think. If you haven't had an HD camera before this one is hard to beat, even if you have an HD or HD2 it is a big enough change to consider switching this time round. We are! On the plus side there will be a few 2nd hand HD2 and HD on eBay soon I think, including mine Smile

ScottyDog

PS - GoPro do not allow discounting of the retail price. That is why everyone is the same RRP. Those that are not be careful, as if something is to good to be true...

PPS - Yes, the code will work on all non-sale item purchases
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottydog wrote:

PS - GoPro do not allow discounting of the retail price.

You might want to rephrase this

http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/competition-act-and-cartels/ca98/closure/Oakley

http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/competition-act-and-cartels/CA-overview/;jsessionid=0D53FD5D1006838BC1753B0108A81A3A
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
scottydog wrote:

PS - GoPro do not allow discounting of the retail price.

You might want to rephrase this

http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/competition-act-and-cartels/ca98/closure/Oakley

http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/competition-act-and-cartels/CA-overview/;jsessionid=0D53FD5D1006838BC1753B0108A81A3A

best tell Apple first!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne wrote:
Am thinking of getting one to film class for for bottom of run feedback.
I think the GoPro (and all the helmetcams I suppose) are very poor for getting footage of students you are teaching. The lens is too wide angle unless they are following directly behind you (or you are skiing directly behind them), and then you have too much camera shake. With the GoPro you also have a problem of how bets to review the footage. You can get a little LCD screen to clip to the back of the Go Pro, but IMO it's not great. Buy a proper camcorder would be my advice, with the biggest built-in screen. Or if you want to be really fancy some of the new Sony camcorders have a built-in projector so you can show the footage on the wall of a nearby restaurant over coffee.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

With the GoPro you also have a problem of how bets to review the footage.

not a problem really, connect wirelessly via tablet, pc, phone and view them there and then. Simples - squeeks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think the GoPro (and all the helmetcams I suppose) are very poor for getting footage of students you are teaching. The lens is too wide angle unless they are following directly behind you (or you are skiing directly behind them)

but do agree to a degree with this point, but it you shoot in 2.7k you can zoom in digitally quite a lot on a pc if required.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've got a Hero 3 Silver

Only had a brief play so far, need to sort out a decent pole
snow report
What they said - using a POV (point of view) camera for recording other people riding is not as easy as using a proper video camera. I'm not sure how bad the mobile phone is, but a GoPro will have them looking like a little dot in the background unless you're way closer than I'd ride to a professional, let alone a learner.

If you're looking for "passing shots" then your best bet would be to stick it on a pole in the slope and get them to slalom it, but even then it's not ideal. Take a look at GoPro footage; it's unlikely to be what you want. Any hand-held video recorder (camcorder) will blow it away. They even have zoom and autofocus.

--
I found the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 significant - the Mk2 is better in all lights, and significantly so in poor light, in my view. The UI is appalling in both, but once it's set up in "one button" mode I don't care. I'm sure the new thing will be better still but I'm in the UK and I'll not pay those prices; have to wait until I'm in North America.
snow conditions
snowscreen wrote:
I've got a Hero 3 Silver

Only had a brief play so far, need to sort out a decent pole

what sort of pole you after?
ski holidays
I snowboard so wanted to avoid using a skipole

Hoping to find or make something with a telescopic pole so I can easily get it in a bag
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/A3PDXmYoF5U I think this video says it all on how good the quality of the Go Pro 3 is. You wouldn't believe how many professional cinematographers are using them. Check out most POV in the latest ski films, all mainly Go Pro.
snow report
If you are looking for an extendable pole have a look at the big u shot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy