Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK Met Office forecasts "66% likely" cold winter

Poster: A snowHead
This thread has been re-headed, following firming-up of Met Office long-range forecast [scroll to 19 October]
---------------------------
The UK Met Office has released its first 'Winter Forecast 2005/6', predicting "a colder than average winter for much of Europe" during December, January and February.

They expect southern regions of the UK to be distinctly affected, and warn that the winter may be out of line with the relatively mild winters experienced since 1995/6.

More details in their news release.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 19-10-05 14:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith, could herald a cold but not necessarily snowy winter. I think their models are tending towards drier than normal as well as colder.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What is the relationship between winter weather patterns for southern regions of the UK and Alpine regions?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian. True. Thanks for that point.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A seriously cold winter up north would be good too....for the Grouse!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Eddie the Grouse
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bring it on Very Happy

7 degrees at the top of the Glenshane Pass (1000ft) at 3pm today.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm with brian, Last winter was dry and cold in the alps and my skis still show the resulting scars!

Cold and precipitation is what I'm praying for. Looking at some of the detail behind this it looks like the cold area extends as far south as Paris. Does this mean that depressions will get forced across the Alps by a high pressure area over the UK? Where's Skanky when you need him???
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steve Sparks wrote:
I'm with brian, Last winter was dry and cold in the alps and my skis still show the resulting scars!

The alps are a big place, it may have been dry where you were but we had snow in our garden for 2 months which is almost unheard of in the last 20 years and 7 meter snowdepths on the mountains nearby. There was so much snow in the Vercors that it lasted until the end of May. Of course the Southern Alps had no appreciable snowfall until mid April. I understand it was snowy in Switzerland and especially Austria.

The beekeepers in Briançon say it will be a snowy winter in the Southern Alps this year... so far the bees seem to have the inside track on the weather with 70cm of fresh on the Col d'Agnel last weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Steve,

I would settle for last Winter again apart from the last two weeks of March which was saw all my snow disapear, freezing pipes caused a major problem and i was told it was the coldest for 10years as I handed over my cash. I have invested in heated pipes just incase!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, I'm sure the beekeepers in Briancon are correct (many crossed fingers) .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always get in trouble when I get involved in weather discussions, and my respect for davidof, makes me think twice before posting this, but my impression of last winter (based on skiing mostly in the Valais) and obsessive tracking of weather fronts was that it was a series of big storms, followed by extremely cold spells. But I did focus on the Valais and of course saying "the Alps" is a massive meterological generalisation.

I will henceforth constrain myself to empirical evidence and therefore offer that some residents of the Valais are terribly excited that the gentianes grew to a height of 1.5m this summer and that is a dead cert indicator of massive snow depth for the coming winter. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My impression of last season was that part of the problem was that the freezing line was a little too high in places and so caused a lot of the snow to melt inbetween storms.

Having said that, I still had some great skiing last season. Very Happy

I'm looking forward to the next one... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My holly bush outside my front door is absolutely covered with berries (feel Chritmassy already), and the birds are rapidly emptying all the feeders. Howwever, yesterday it was 18 C at 6pm when I left work. Colder now though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The Rooks are nesting low in the tree's always a sign that winter's coming wink
latest report
It was 21C in Nottingham today, that's not particularly wintery either.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, Nice Pictures of The Goose fair in the press yesterday, I haven't been since the late 80's is the fair still as big today?
snow conditions
boredsurfin, rooks nesting in october Puzzled
ski holidays
pistenbully, They seem to be pairing up and selecting which nest's to re -use. They are b.....y noisy especially first thing in the morning and around 5/6 at night. We have had people tell us that they prefer the traffic noise from the A303 to that of the Rooks!
ski holidays
3 degrees at 8.00am. Beautiful day here. Lovely Crisp Autumn Day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
We still have the warm weather here,no hint of the temps even slightly heading down hill yet.... 17c today
ski holidays
boredsurfin, try feeding those rooks some lead that should shut them up Smile
ski holidays
First grass frost of the winter this morning.

1 degree at 8.00am.
latest report
Quote:

1 degree at 8.00am

if only it was like that here,love the crisp morning...o well
snow report
Swallows left about 2 weeks ago.
ski holidays
A week since this thread opened, and the Met Office are now giving a 2:1 likelihood of a cold winter. Here's the BBC report.

Quote:
Mr McCallum [Chief Meteorologist] said the Met office prediction of a cold winter was 66% likely to be proved correct.

He said the calculations were based on the "North Atlantic oscillation" - a measure of sea temperatures which normally correlate with weather patterns.
snow report
66%. Still sounds like they don't really know. I won't be booking a week in Aviemore just yet
snow report
A warmer wetter southern Europe, which is apparently what a negative North Atlantic Oscillation tends to bring, may not necessaily be good news for all of the Alps.

Perhaps some analysis of the Alpine winter of 1995/96 and other easterly dominated winters and negative NAO winters may give some clues about where the snow will be best this coming season.

Trying to remember where I went and what it was like in 1996 Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those wondering what it was like in 95/96, well for the North of Scotland there was the truly amazing Xmas Eve polar low, temps down to -27c, with daytime maximas of -12[c] in the Central Highlands between Christmas and New Year, with sea lochs starting to freeze over on the West Coast!

As for the snowsports perspective, here is something that may be of interest, report from CairnGorm Mountain on 7th April 1996:

http://www.winterhighland.info/old/cairngorm_7th_april_1996.html
ski holidays
A vintage day! Many thanks for archiving that for the benefit of nostalgics and historians - pity the snow can't be archived along with the data.

When did Winterhighland commence?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith,

I think last year/season was the 10 year anniversary, but I'm sure Winterhighland, will be along soon to confirm.
latest report
I agree with Winterhighland. We had alot of trouble on the farm during that cold spell. Milk was freezing in the pipes as it was being pumped from the milking parlour to the bulk tank!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing considering the milk started of at the cows body temperature.
latest report
No point in producing ice cream either, at those temperatures. Can't see people wandering around the farm with a Cornetto when it's -5C.
snow report
Despite the coolness in the air I have a pink rosebush in our front garden that has started to bud and bloom again for the second time this year - a bit bizarre really.
snow conditions
Perhaps we should have a comment from

Orson 'Rosebud' Welles on that one
ski holidays
I don't remember last season being dry and Q1 05 was cold but Eastern Austria saw shed loads of snow. Lifts were closed because they needed digging out, one resort had a 5.5m base. If the southern Alps see wetter weather this season then maybe it's Italys turn to get the best of the snow. I remember Italy having a good year 1999/2000, how did Italy fair in 96?
ski holidays
Weather-wise I don't know, but I've a vague recollection that Cornettos sold well.
latest report
 brian
brian
1996, I went to Verbier, first week in February and it was truly crap for the first couple of days. Got some moderate snowfall that made it bearable for the next couple and then a major dump Thursday night, blue sky powderfest on the Friday. Which made up for it a bit.

Istr Glenshee getting a lot of snow through Feb and March but it's a long time ago ....
ski holidays
I Went to Cervinia & Pila quite a bit in the 95/96 season, memory is a bit hazy now but I remember lots of snow all the way to Easter but then thats normal for Cervinia at least.

I think there was lots more snow falling early in the 96/97 season as I got stuck in a village called Gabi on the Simplon pass for 3 days at the start of September.
ski holidays
Mrs johnboy, So have I! Except it's in my back garden!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy